Dogs throwing the towel in and breeding.

Just now, baker boy said:

Take it from me mate it happened, 3 of my mates owned it not knowing the others had, they all returned it and it ended up in Hurricane kennels on the continent

Wouldn't surprise me, you just look at the way the dogs ended up. 

Either he had something good gifted to him and he slowly killed the line by not following the standards of his predecessors or he got too old and let money rule over quality. 

Whatever the excuse, his later dogs were not of the same quality of his early stuff. 

Still, he put the black un's on the map like no other. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred a litter of terrier pups a few yrs ago  and kept back 2 bitches..reared and treated both the same,had them out from pups,pegged out at digs so they could learn the crack,the smooth bitch went the

Posted Sunday at 13:21 "I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or what

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

What did he do with all the jackers?.. 

Every dog has a breaking point...seen plenty fail..but a change of owner,proper rest,good grub, exercise and some never put a foot wrong again..some folks will always end up with jackers/shit dogs.. because they just don't have a clue..some will always get the best from a dog,they know to work to their strengths,they will know when it's had enough or will go again-they not concerned about what others may say or think...those same folks will also tell you the faults of said animal(they all have them)...I've met one or two over the yrs but they ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN..IMO it's just best ,that  you just be honest with yourself and anyone who's getting one...the rest then is down to the man holding the lead ?

Some dogs are born cold though, it is what it is. 

Again, you can't always polish a turd. 

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Another thing that tickles me is the amount of folk who suggest a dog for someone to use over there bitch, but chances are they never saw the dog work, an prob never saw bitch either ?

That’s happens quite a lot on here but like I said it’s up to the person with the bitch,if they like your dog and does it do the job.And guess what I got twisted at ??? only on the hunting life.You can get good dogs off grafters and off non worker’s you take ya chance in all.No ifs no buts but everyone keeps saying worker to worker and in the terriers I’ve proved that’s bollocks off kc stuff that’s never never seen a hole.I’m one of these if I’ve seen the parents work and they do what I like I would take a chance on a pup,even though the pups can and do fail.If it’s off non grafters and they are the true breed I want I will buy the pup as though my working life I’ve seen good and average in all.

11 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

What did he do with all the jackers?.. 

Every dog has a breaking point...seen plenty fail..but a change of owner,proper rest,good grub, exercise and some never put a foot wrong again..some folks will always end up with jackers/shit dogs.. because they just don't have a clue..some will always get the best from a dog,they know to work to their strengths,they will know when it's had enough or will go again-they not concerned about what others may say or think...those same folks will also tell you the faults of said animal(they all have them)...I've met one or two over the yrs but they ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN..IMO it's just best ,that  you just be honest with yourself and anyone who's getting one...the rest then is down to the man holding the lead ?

Know what ya mean mate seen it plenty,the dog is your tool and they are like athletes they can’t give 100% all the time.Some people think when it pulls a mussel or ligament or it looks heeled after a week it’s ready to go again,they never think the dog is still sore from its injury then wonder why it jacks.I can’t see any athlete trying to run or jump after a week of been payed up.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Wouldn't surprise me, you just look at the way the dogs ended up. 

Either he had something good gifted to him and he slowly killed the line by not following the standards of his predecessors or he got too old and let money rule over quality. 

Whatever the excuse, his later dogs were not of the same quality of his early stuff. 

Still, he put the black un's on the map like no other. 

Money gets to them all in the end greb..your names in everyone's mouth,and everyman wants something from you....you would fall over if you knew what some folk are peddling ? ?

2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yer I get tht to a point but at what point would you be happy breeding ? And is it always age or more numbers ? Genuine question 

I don't think there is an answer ever one is different ways doing there dogs iam happy enough breeding a dog 2 in a half or three years we have Bred dogs at 3 and 4 years old and after that they Jack it but pups were ok u have ask a question every one is going to have a different opinion on this I don't have the answer mate just my opinion ps I've had lurchers for 50 years now like alot of boys on this site 

• Like 2

I was standing way a guy one night way a little bitch called gypsey now she just killed 4 hares and a roe buck daytime having been gifted to my mate on trail she could kill anything that moved now the person who was in our company says I was out way a good dog last night it killed 3 hares ?some guys wouldent give you credit if you won the lottery it's the dog game it's just the way it's always been I love seeing better dogs than my own most are anyway ???

• Haha 1

For my 10 pennies worth its just math, as genetics is just math, especially with hybrids. Genetics is only predictable on the grand scale and the more variables you add the grander the scale needs to be to get a portion of predictability. I had a bull/grey X collie/grey was a thick coward with no pace and no stamina but hyperactive at home. He had 3 separate gene pools to throw a variety of traits, sometimes they will be the right ones sometimes not, in his case not. The Bull X greyhound sire was a decent dog if a little slow, the collie/grey dam was a sharp ferreting/lamper bright as a button. The result of their breeding looked the part but that was it. With pure's there is less variety in the genetics so more chance of breeding want is expected but within that there is still going to be a degree of variety.

There is no way of guaranteeing pups will be any good when from unproven sires/dams, (proven as in having produced decent offspring), its always a gamble but if you want to reduce the risks get a pup from the same breeding of one that's performing well, because those animals parents produced a good un. Alternatively use one as a stud/dam for your own breeding, producers produce whereas just because a performer performs does't mean it will also produce.

See a decent dog working, take your bitch to his sire.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Yes and I wouldn't think about breeding them tbh. 

A fella I knew had a stunning looking Lakey type, if looks could kill it would be a winner. 

Well put ratting it was squealing like a cut pig when bitten and picking it's spots, thanks but no thanks. ?

I've seen proper digging dogs that wouldn't look at a rat and I've seen others that would work some quarry and not others.

2 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I've seen proper digging dogs that wouldn't look at a rat and I've seen others that would work some quarry and not others.

I haven't seen that myself but there's a difference from being uninterested to dropping them and squealing like a pig once they nip a dog IMO. 

18 minutes ago, Penda said:

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

This is ? penda ??

• Like 1