Dogs throwing the towel in and breeding.

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

Has anyone ever had an awesome dog bred from jackers or untested young pets?

When breeding from any stock you get pairings that just click and produce good stock and you can pair best to best and get crap too. You can breed for certain things like looks easily but ability?

Yes but he was a terrier not a lurcher. Pure sociopath.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred a litter of terrier pups a few yrs ago  and kept back 2 bitches..reared and treated both the same,had them out from pups,pegged out at digs so they could learn the crack,the smooth bitch went the

Posted Sunday at 13:21 "I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or what

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

Posted Images

I think there's a world of difference between breeding from a jacker before it's jacked to breeding from a jacker after it's jacked. 

It still ain't going to change the outcomes of the breeding but who in their right mind would actively breed from a known jacker. 

• Thanks 1

With most Lurchers we go off parents alone, because we usually know next to nothing of the pedigree behind them, or we cant trust what we are told. Colby the famous American APBT breeder would breed from bitches in their first season and be confident of a good outcome. His breeding was very tight and made up of very game if not dead game dogs.

What happens a lot in Lurcher or terrier breeding is people are continually disappointed after putting two good grafters together but getting poor results. What they need to do is study and read up on Mendel and basic genetics to understand Dominant and recessive genes.

Time often means nothing if a dogs mediocre in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My family ran an animal feed business for a long time and didn't take me long to realise that it was the same small group of men who had the best livestock no matter what they kept, when they kept lurchers their dogs were top class, pigeons, they won everything, trotting horses, won everything again etc. 

On getting to know them, I realised that they only used, tried and tested lines, fed the best possible feed, and most importantly, didn't keep hold of an average animal whilst kidding themselves that they could make it a world beater. 

I don't know him personally but AS is a good example of these men, dominated the coursing world with Dancer, Blondie etc, did very well with trotters and i believe now is top table with spaniels in the Field Trials game....... Its not just a coincidence. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, zigzag dan said:

My family ran an animal feed business for a long time and didn't take me long to realise that it was the same small group of men who had the best livestock no matter what they kept, when they kept lurchers their dogs were top class, pigeons, they won everything, trotting horses, won everything again etc. 

On getting to know them, I realised that they only used, tried and tested lines, fed the best possible feed, and most importantly, didn't keep hold of an average animal whilst kidding themselves that they could make it a world beater. 

I don't know him personally but AS is a good example of these men, dominated the coursing world with Dancer, Blondie etc, did very well with trotters and i believe now is top table with spaniels in the Field Trials game....... Its not just a coincidence. 

Very very true feller. 

• Like 2

Surely they didn't use a pup on purpose? The kc won't register them either.

I've been on shoots listening to people planning on putting such and such a dog over their bitch as soon as it was old enough regardless of wether it turned out ok or not.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Did someone mention waiting till a dog is six before breeding from it..

F38FA5A4-9D87-40EA-9CCD-D48082239ED9.png

The spaniel lads have been at it for years....... the collie folk are even worse 😂 but I would say Ian (rytex) would know his stuff and his line seeing as he was running dogs with my old man at field trial champ level when I was a little boy and I’m 36 now. 

• Like 1

Been an interesting read this has.. 

To throw another question in; there's a lot of speak about the age of the bitch to be lined, but what about the sire?

Would most prefer to line their bitch with a proven worker of 4/5 seasons, or is a young sire of perhaps the 3, with hard proven work, good enough if he has the capabilities you're looking for?

6 minutes ago, 3dumb said:

Been an interesting read this has.. 

To throw another question in; there's a lot of speak about the age of the bitch to be lined, but what about the sire?

Would most prefer to line their bitch with a proven worker of 4/5 seasons, or is a young sire of perhaps the 3, with hard proven work, good enough if he has the capabilities you're looking for?

Yip you you think he what you want 👍

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

Surely they didn't use a pup on purpose? The kc won't register them either.

Things could have changed but when registering litter of kc wcs i bred the only condition relating to age was the dam needing to be under 8 years of age. If she was older than 8 then a different application was needed. 

23 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Things could have changed but when registering litter of kc wcs i bred the only condition relating to age was the dam needing to be under 8 years of age. If she was older than 8 then a different application was needed. 

They can be registered and those pups have all been pre booked I would think.