Pup I'm running this season and my dads pup

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always tastes better when its been poached ?

I don't know the ins and outs of this particular little spat, but here's my take on it; Poaching is fine, you take your chance, and if it comes on top, you do your best to get out of it. If you'r

I poach all over. Always will. I'm not gonna wipe a place out.nobody has took me to ground and I have been back. I have found all my ground of my own back and will always will be a poacher. 

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Mate...... why out of curiosity try to start a war over a few poxy rabbits ? lads threatening to batter people, burn vans, phone peoples bosses etc. It’s not a Taliban insurrection, Its a fella doing a bit of rabbiting ? let’s get a bit of perspective, maybe put the big guns away. What harm is Rew actually doing ? Lads been going up knocking doors and jumping walls on other lads perms for years. If I am passing through there, go for a walk with dogs and happen to take a few rabbits off a place why is the keeper or your mate bothered and why do they want to go all Muhammad  I’m ard bruce Lee about it ? 

On a side note it’s really really stupid to burn or wreck someone’s motor when all you know is where they park and they know where your farm, house, barn and livelihood are. Just something to think about ? A favourite down here If you act like a prick to some of the lads you bump into, is a few burning straw stacks. Does tend to teach you to approach things a bit more calmly ? 

Same this way sheep all there good straw gone leaves em up shit Street 

I had my tyres done last season by knob on other side were I dont bother going since I've made sure I'm on his side every week even though I've got better spots rang old bill had me collared I still bk on few days later 

Just now, mC HULL said:

Same this way sheep all there good straw gone leaves em up shit Street 

I had my tyres done last season by knob on other side were I dont bother going since I've made sure I'm on his side every week even though I've got better spots rang old bill had me collared I still bk on few days later 

There’s just no need to get all stroppy about it. Sure if you’re smashing the place up and causing grief that’s one thing. But if it’s just a bit of light hearted poaching, it’s been going on for ever and isn’t going to stop. No need to be a twat on either side. If everyone stays calm and polite it’s usually fine and everyone has a bit more mutual respect. Coming up arms swinging like Jackie chan, shouting and screaming isn’t ever going to end well long term ? you’ll have a heart attack or something. Lying there in the slop twitching like a fish while mchulls saluki cocks it’s leg on you. Last thing you can see is a wee pair of worn out froggy wellies as it fades to black. 

• Haha 9
21 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

If you get taken out and shown spots by someone even if it ain’t perm, in my eyes it’s common decency to not go back, but if you’ve found a spot that’s just life. I’m sure I’ve been out on lots of lads land, was probably out on someone’s land Friday night at the fishing comp, so apologies if anyone lives in Devon and saw some flashing light on their perm Friday night, it was two lost Welsh men ? shit happens. Sure there’s lads on mine I don’t know about. I’ve bumped into lads coursing on my ground, what can you do. I’ve also bumped into lads when we have both been poaching. What do you do there? 

Why are them lads sick to death of him? What’s he doing ? Catches a few rabbits, sleeps in a van and makes videos. Hardly ransacking the place. It’s just keeper syndrome. They can’t help themselves acting the big man. 

As for being hammered, blame the lads who have perm and keep going on about the rabbit numbers, get huge bags, have big lots of land, struggle to get round it all but jealously guard all the rabbits as if they were theirs. If you can’t get perm, have a dog and will travel..... what you gonna do ? 

Should of messaged could of come out with me ?

• Like 1

? This freelancing business has always been a contentious subject,..and my guess is, it always will be?

I cannot speak for the Dales hunters,..I live in the Deep South, and Landowners, Keepers and Farmer's attitudes to 'lads just having a wee wander'...is completely different...

It frequently gets, emotional..?

In my area, good rabbiting areas are at a premium..we just don't have the big numbers of seemingly endless populations of conies and when you hit a place really hard and serious,..then,..that is often, that....

We do not have the geographical terrain that allows rabbits to find a safe harbour and rekindle their dwindling numbers..

Every hand is against them,..always has been....

SO,..there is a lot of jealousy and wariness from fellow hunters with regards to sharing out the land ...

It really is a case of dog eat dog...

I can remember a while back(a long way back?)..I had secured a bit of roustabout rabbiting just five minutes away from my back yard..This modest acreage of rough Marsh, gorse and Sea Wall banking was no big deal,..but, it was MY big deal..

The place was amazingly convenient, and as such it allowed me to polish my trapping/snaring skills, and was perfect for a couple of hours lamping...I also ferreted the high banks on a regular basis...I even produced a brace of Cony Catching VHS vids on the place. In short, it was a handy old venue to take guests out for a bit of a mouch..

THEN,..one day whilst heading out on a pest control job, I noticed a van pass me by in the opposite direction..

I recognised the occupants as being fellow lurcher enthusiasts, not friends as such, but guys that I had seen around.

I carried on and did my days work, but all through the day I was thinking about my ground and worrying myself that these feckers would be raping and pillaging,.. like cammo-clad Vikings❗

On arriving back home I went and checked out the Marsh...

These guys had been marching around the land as though they owned the fecking place, slipping here and there on anything that could be run...The Farmer said, "I came over to them and they told me that YOU had said that it would be ok,.so I left them to it...I wish you would let me know Phil when you are going send groups of lurcher lads onto the place"

I told the Farmer that I did not know these folk and I definitely didn't tell them to fill their boots...

I smoothed things over, but I could sense that things were not the same twixt us...

ANYWAY, the crux of the matter is,..we all get a tad possessive and precious over our hunting permission..

Its natural, and up until my Wife telling me straight to stop getting all worked up and stressful over other men, poaching on my ground, by reminding me of a fairly obvious and genuine, 'salient fact'...that,..YOU were the worst fecker out there for going everywhere you liked, when you liked, and having a feck you attitude, which nearly got you the Jail.?

She was right...There is nothing much you can do to stop a freelancer....

Sometimes ya gotta simply grin and bear it.....Facts are, a man who is a stranger on the land is unlikely to catch as many conies as you will...He invariably works the deepest, silly arse warrens , the ones that through experience you avoid, and when lamping, he often works the fields all arse about face and doesn't use the walls and hedgerows to his advantage..

So, let the freelancer have a few shushis...Life is too short to worry about such things,..trust me,..I know?

Stay safe brothers,...all the best, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9

I think no one has a problem with some one who has a bit of permission telling a poacher not to go back on.

The contentious bit is some cowardly prick putting notes on vehicles threatening to burn it out !

If he was any sort of a bloke, he would have waited by the vehicle and had a word when Rew came back.

I've seen these things escalate out of all control, I remember three keepers pulling a young lad for lamping, one  of the keepers hit the kid in the face with one of those yellow lamps you buy at Halfords, breaking his nose and splitting his lips.

Big mistake......the lads family found out where the keeper drank and waited in the car park, he ended up in hospital with a meat cleaver embedded in his shoulder......he was lucky, it was aimed at his head !

Is a few rabbits really worth that sort of scenario ? I think not.

Cheers,

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 2

Iam.going to retire early on my 2pnd rabbit funds ?youd be better of learning a trade youg  man putting vidios up of carpentry or something that's of interest that old dog out backs 7 and is a better mutt than them  things on those vidios and he ain't nothing special ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bearfoot said:

Iam.going to retire early on my 2pnd rabbit funds ?youd be better of learning a trade youg  man putting vidios up of carpentry or something that's of interest that old dog out backs 7 and is a better mutt than them  things on those vidios and he ain't nothing special ? 

Be interested to know if there is any money to be made in this YouTube. Obviously is if you get enough views followers etc. 

• Haha 1