Afghanistan

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t talk in a way that will not open a can of worms . I can’t pretend that I was all call of duty black ops , kicking doors and taking names . but I can tell you some truths  im a combat en

There’s blokes on here who can speak with genuine authority on the subject, I’m not one of them. I can only offer my view, to me 1 British soldiers life was never worth the lives of every rag hea

Question on the entry exam to Norfolk University;  " If you take the number of fingers Socks' has lost, from the extra fingers Tomo has, how many are left ? " Tomo's application was rejected

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WILF said:

? ? ? 

First day back in the office of your PR firm:

”Right Janine, what you got for me?….Nothing too taxing I hope, been off on furlough for 12 months and want to ease myself back in”

”Well, the Taliban have been on the phone……”

”Oh for f**k sake !” 

lol ? 

3463CAC8-1A1B-4E1C-AABD-4A57C70377A5.jpeg

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, WILF said:

Meanwhile, in Algeria largely peaceful Muslims have just tortured a young artist who went to help fight forest fires and then burned him alive because he was a stranger and they got it in their heads he may be there starting fires !!…….as you do ! 

Stupid c**t going over there 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, greg64 said:

i wonder if the usa departure from afghanistan has any thing to do with the fact that the  drug fueling the opiate epedemic  now is  fentanyl a pure synthetic lab made chemical .....  funny that

Looking at the connections between Chinese fentanyl, CJNG, and the American market.

It's almost like capitalism sees the Taliban as a threat to supply as the cost of a two decade war becomes untenable. The market finds a way... funny that.

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1
On 17/08/2021 at 01:50, ChrisJones said:

That's a tough question, mate. Trying to find a proportionate response to something like that is a challenge.

A retaliation is inevitable, and you know how I feel about defensive measures over offensive measures with the military. I'm also wondering what a correct response would be.

How about this. Given the disastrous history of regime change, since at least the Iran coup of '53, is limited operations with the aim of 'containment' the most viable strategy?

It's certainly the direction the British government is taking with military reforms. Light, highly trained, highly equipped, highly informed, forces with short reaction times and global reach. No intention of holding ground or forcing change, just go in at a moments notice and leather them then f**k off, as and when necessary until the regime naturally collapses through internal pressure, rather than external.

"For the past 10 years, I have argued both inside and outside this Chamber, very often to the dismay of my parliamentary colleagues, that a form of containment rather than counter-insurgency is the only practical answer to international terrorist movements sheltered and sponsored by rogue regimes like the Taliban. Containment, as older colleagues will remember, was the policy that held the Soviet Union in check throughout the cold war until its empire imploded and its ideology was discredited. Islamist extremism has a subversive reach similar to that of revolutionary communism, and our task is to keep it at bay until it collapses completely or evolves into tolerant, or at least tolerable, alternative doctrines. In Afghanistan, the task of overthrowing the Taliban and driving al-Qaeda into exile was quickly accomplished in 2001, and at that point NATO arrived at a fork in the road. The option selected was, as we know, an open-ended commitment to impose a western version of democracy and protect it indefinitely in a country that had a strong sense of its own political and social culture and which was known to be politically allergic to foreign intervention.

Yet there was another option available to western strategists in response to the 9/11 attacks. Having achieved our immediate objectives of putting al-Qaeda to flight and punishing the Taliban, we should have announced that we were completely removing our forces but would promptly return by land and air to repeat the process if international terrorist groups were again detected in Afghanistan. When the Taliban regain full territorial control, they will lose their shield of invisibility. If they then choose to pose or facilitate a renewed threat—a terrorist threat—to western security, they should expect both their leadership and their military capability to be hit hard by our mobile land and air forces. That cycle would be repeated until the threat was removed, but we should not and would not allow our forces to be sucked in again.”

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-should-have-withdrawn-as-soon-as-it-defeated-taliban/

Seems a bit "cross your fingers and hope" but what's a realistic alternative?

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

How about this. Given the disastrous history of regime change, since at least the Iran coup of '53, is limited operations with the aim of 'containment' the most viable strategy?

It's certainly the direction the British government is taking with military reforms. Light, highly trained, highly equipped, highly informed, forces with short reaction times and global reach. No intention of holding ground or forcing change, just go in at a moments notice and leather them then f**k off, as a when necessary until the regime naturally collapses through internal pressure, rather than external.

Seems a bit "cross your fingers and hope" but what's a realistic alternative?

Alternatively they could call up Rambo for his swansong.