Price of pups

The thing with peddling in the lurcher world is you got to many blokes that claim to only keep working dogs an know there way round a good dog and moan there’s no decent stuff being bred but there to lazy to get off there asses to go an see a work bred litter to find out more about it there just send a couple of pms an expect you to reveal all with pictures of illegal stuff rather than come have a look and a chat but always end up buying from known peddling c**ts who constantly have litters on the ground who keep loads of different Lurchers of various crosses who do f**k all with there dogs bar ponce around a show ring all summer because they got to many dogs to work them all as there worth of being bred from I’ve seen this a number of times blokes that claim to know a good decent worker Buy from peddlers then they say we’re the dogs from they say that guy works his dogs hard you think to your self that bitch as had a litter every year for the last 3yrs if it’s only 4 now it was bred from at 1 an ironically always having a litter in hunting season to keep a pup back? working lurcher world will never change to many crooks trying to have there own kind over a barrel in the name of money tbh I’d rather give pups away than profit out of them if they work out for there owners happy days I do like to sell 2-3 to cover rearing cost at £150-180 I don’t see why everyone should get a free pup at my cost an me having to pick up the rearing cost it’d be like me buying a pup for 450-540 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess you pay what YOU think a pup is worth. My last one was exactly what I was looking for, a well bred first cross Deer Grey. The guy wanted £250, a pittance, I thought, for the right dog. I

when   I was a kid there were lots of  mongrels and they would all work pretty much, and were free mostly, sweep was 10 bob and caught hundreds of rabbits far more than the runners.      

Anyone got a spaniel to put over my. Bedlington bitch we could knock out some ( Bed springs ) at a grand each ? ? 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, poxon said:

The thing with peddling in the lurcher world is you got to many blokes that claim to only keep working dogs an know there way round a good dog and moan there’s no decent stuff being bred but there to lazy to get off there asses to go an see a work bred litter to find out more about it there just send a couple of pms an expect you to reveal all with pictures of illegal stuff rather than come have a look and a chat but always end up buying from known peddling c**ts who constantly have litters on the ground who keep loads of different Lurchers of various crosses who do f**k all with there dogs bar ponce around a show ring all summer because they got to many dogs to work them all as there worth of being bred from I’ve seen this a number of times blokes that claim to know a good decent worker Buy from peddlers then they say we’re the dogs from they say that guy works his dogs hard you think to your self that bitch as had a litter every year for the last 3yrs if it’s only 4 now it was bred from at 1 an ironically always having a litter in hunting season to keep a pup back? working lurcher world will never change to many crooks trying to have there own kind over a barrel in the name of money tbh I’d rather give pups away than profit out of them if they work out for there owners happy days I do like to sell 2-3 to cover rearing cost at £150-180 I don’t see why everyone should get a free pup at my cost an me having to pick up the rearing cost it’d be like me buying a pup for 450-540 

To be fair mate I think pups should be gifted but I’d never take a pup for free, my pals giving me a pup in a few weeks but I chucked him £100 when they were born to help with food costs etc, and I’ll pay for a few good dinners this season as well when we’re out, everyone that’s gifted a pup should do that, so it shouldn’t cost the breeder anything.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

To be fair mate I think pups should be gifted but I’d never take a pup for free, my pals giving me a pup in a few weeks but I chucked him £100 when they were born to help with food costs etc, and I’ll pay for a few good dinners this season as well when we’re out, everyone that’s gifted a pup should do that, so it shouldn’t cost the breeder anything.

I’ve gifted them an received them as gifts I’ve no problem with someone doing a litter because they have a decent dog if it’s to genuinely keep a pup back to continue on with it’s the people that are always breeding that do my nut ive not even got a problem with people who sell there remaining pups if it’s sensible priced an there not a peddler I mean what else you meant to do with them if you don’t know the crowed I’ll always have to sell a few because I want my cost back plus I keep out the way I don’t know many people these days I do my own thing 

Why are people bothered ? 

im never gonna own a Ferrari either so I don’t pay heed how much an f40 is going for ? 

I think with some people , yes it goes against the grain , but if people are getting homes for them , what’s genuinely the issue ? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

My brothers and their mates got a little clic...fluffy/merle frenchies, bully's, British bulldogs, shar peis,akitas, Breeding and delivering dogs up and down the UK.. wouldn't like to think how much they spent just to set it up... Not my thing at all, but when you look at the money they make, no wonder some people do it as a full time job so to speak.... They sell dog food, bedding, disinfectant, wormers you name it, pays for all the latest toys and gadgets ?seems like most working dog lads, have jumped on the band wagon.. Their own branding and kennel names lol... Each to their own, I'd sooner graft for my money and happy to pay within reason for a dog if its what I want or return the favour with some work/materials etc.... 

Fair play mate , both to them and to you . 

a lad I know knocks out patterdales to pet homes for more than you’ve probably ever paid for one . 

what can you do ? 

Unless your paying for  and jabbing/docking a whole litter through a vet... Don't cost a great deal to rear a litter ... Last lurcher litter I did, bitch needed emergency c section.. Lost 9 pups.ended up with 3 pups, 1 spent 2 weeks in vets then died.. Gifted the bitch and a lad on here had the dog for £100 and 20 back for good luck... Vets pulled my pants down for £1600 all in?wipe your mouth and move on.... I then travelled and payed for a lurcher pup... Infairness the lad rang me up and offered me the money back at 12months old.... I never took it, dogs mine to do as I please.... 20161230_131859.jpg.b9b8f1121748fc590daf5707648e0069.jpg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Fair play mate , both to them and to you . 

a lad I know knocks out patterdales to pet homes for more than you’ve probably ever paid for one . 

what can you do ? 

I bought a bellman and flint for 300,came with a free chocolate bitch, one of the best dogs I've ever had the pleasure to work lol... Most I've ever spent to be fair... And I would pay a grand for something half as good these days if I needed, I personally think 200 is about right for something we'll bred from tested dogs, lurcher or terrier ?

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, white van man said:

And the winner is.....

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/2742890-guinness-fully-trained-obedient-lurcher-stone.html

fully trained so not so bad I suppose ?

I was reading that open mouthed! I simply can't believe it!

The irony is that I've never bred a litter in my life but, after telling my wife about this last night, she immediately said we should get a bitch next and breed our own next time. I usually bring a new pup in every four to six years and although even these prices aren't really a lot for a possibly great dog over its lifetime, it's still a lot in anybody's money in one lump. So I'm kind of thinking she's got a point.

I'm just hoping that this is a short term thing and is only because the people concerned are needing extra short term cash because of the pandemic.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

I’m the same, I try to spend as little time working as i possibly can, f**k working your life away to make someone else money & pay a high percentage of the rest to the government.

Lazy bollox

Dog breeding can be mega money now.. weather it’s right or wrong. 
A lady I know has just started breeding fence bull dogs this year.. 3 bitches, all live one the house and are pets.. ones had 10 pups, sold this week. £3K for boys, £3.5k for girls.. all sold. £33k profit.. 

another litter of 8 to be sold in 2 weeks.. 

3rd bitch due in August.. 

£90k tax free profit in one year 

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Neal said:

I was reading that open mouthed! I simply can't believe it!

The irony is that I've never bred a litter in my life but, after telling my wife about this last night, she immediately said we should get a bitch next and breed our own next time. I usually bring a new pup in every four to six years and although even these prices aren't really a lot for a possibly great dog over its lifetime, it's still a lot in anybody's money in one lump. So I'm kind of thinking she's got a point.

I'm just hoping that this is a short term thing and is only because the people concerned are needing extra short term cash because of the pandemic.

I very much doubt it will drop that much. It’s similar to other things - once a level is set it stays.