Stoat Attack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m the same mate, I love to see these things around. You just don’t want these things to turn into a problem. However, on a brighter note after 5 years half of my fields on the home place h

Exclusive trail cam footage from wilfs canary cage ....  

Posted Images

When things were a bit more relaxed on the trap scene ,trapping  stoats was very easy if you caught that first bitch in the spring .

Take her to the next few traps and squeeze the urine onto the plate .Almost guaranteed a catch next day and the urine off them went to the next trap and so on .

Id be sceptical it was a stoat that sprung your traps wilf ,probably mice .Forget the dead stuff as bait ,just run a few traps 24/7 in tunnels around the base of your set up .If it was a  stoat or a weasel ,you will get him because they cannot resist a tunnel .    

So, the stoat won.....no further visits.

He is fatter and happier and I am a load of stock down and poorer.

Wipe your mouth and move along :( 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Shit one mate. All you can do is move forward proactively to reduce the chances of it happening again.

All the best. :thumbs:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, WILF said:

Mixed emotions on that one, do love a stoat or weasel encounter and think nature in general suffers when to many predators are removed, but on the other hand have kept chickens for years and also understand that feeling of total shite when you come out in the morning and find the carnage,  hope it all works out for you and your hens ?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Mixed emotions on that one, do love a stoat or weasel encounter and think nature in general suffers when to many predators are removed, but on the other hand have kept chickens for years and also understand that feeling of total shite when you come out in the morning and find the carnage,  hope it all works out for you and your hens ?

I’m the same mate, I love to see these things around.

You just don’t want these things to turn into a problem.

However, on a brighter note after 5 years half of my fields on the home place have completely re-established as natural meadow.......I’m pretty proud because it was all done without chemicals or any of that shite.

The rest will hopefully be sorted within the next 2 years......

Was walking through fields this morning and the mixture of grasses, flowers, herbage made me feel a million dollars.

Good mixture of frogs, insects, birds etc......had a corncrake on my front lawn the other day !! 
So, always reasons to be happy ? 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
On 17/05/2020 at 15:09, WILF said:

Went and checked my goslings this morning at 9am, had them under heat in my shed in a dog cage.

Went back at 12 and every single one has gone, found them down the back of my tools slaughtered and a guilty pile of mustelid shit right by them.

Found one part of the cage where the bars had been slightly widened at some point in its life and it got in there ! Brazen little b*****d ! 
So, Mk4s have been deployed by a couple of carcass that were left and at various point round the gaff.

The foxes are going to get a leathering too just for good measure.

Gutted :( 

Have you contemplated the fact that maybe it was suicide ? 

You probably wandered in giving it large about carp fishing and they thought “f**k this , let’s do ourselves in rather than be owned by this chump” 

• Haha 5
On 17/05/2020 at 20:45, gnipper said:

Did you have neighbours? 

Someone down our road had a massive cockerel and no hens and the bugger crowed all day, one of the neighbours went fence hopping one night and removed his voice box ( and his head) with a golf club I think it was. 

....FORE....

I was told of a guy who had pheasants down his drive so when he used to come home he wound down his door window and issued the daughters hockey stick. Apparently  it was very effective! ? 

Edited by Meece