Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Whilst out wandering around the farm I have now developed an obsession for picking up used cartridges. I have picked up 6 game bags full so far , very satisfying. Todays find brought back memories of when I did a lot of rabbit shooting with the shotgun , a great hard hitting cartridge.  Anybody else used to use Baikal Record cartridges?

20220304_160705.jpg

Remember using some black Baikal shells were filthy dirty. Also think they were light loads as everyone was surprised I was dropping foxes with them

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Whilst out wandering around the farm I have now developed an obsession for picking up used cartridges. I have picked up 6 game bags full so far , very satisfying. Todays find brought back memories of when I did a lot of rabbit shooting with the shotgun , a great hard hitting cartridge.  Anybody else used to use Baikal Record cartridges?

20220304_160705.jpg

Used loads of them mate. AAA, bb, #6&#7.

Shooting foxes at night ment tempory blindness!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20220304_160705.jpg

I could be wrong but didn't they used to come in packs of 10? Dirty,  loud, smoke and flame. ?. Next to a Toz Russia's finest export

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Used loads of them mate. AAA, bb, #6&#7.

Shooting foxes at night ment tempory blindness!

U want a trip down memory lane I've got some homeloads with noble 80 powder in .

Can't beat a 10ft green flame when roostshooting ??

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

U want a trip down memory lane I've got some homeloads with noble 80 powder in .

Can't beat a 10ft green flame when roostshooting ??

Nobel #80 and #82 was good powder. I used Nobel rifle#1 in Hornet too. Man I'm old?‍♂️

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20220304_160705.jpg

I remember three mate and myself getting a deal and we bought 1000s of them i had  a baikal  i think it was choked full and full and after the smoke cleared if you had hit anything you really had hit it LOL and they where dirty cartridges the barrels needed a good clean 

• Like 2

Yesterday morning saw me travel down to Bedfordshire for an afternoon on the CWD. The weather was grey , windy and drizzly from to time but that didn't dampen my spirits. 1st doe was spotted next to the farm next to a pile of brash , stalked in across a grass field to a suitable firing position and duly dropped her on the spot at 197 paces ? After gralloching her it was back to my accommodation to check in , have a bath and a quick lie down. 4pm and we were back out again and I suggested to try a field over by the boundary which my mate hasn't shot before . Right decision as on getting out of the car I spotted a deer straight away emerging from the hedge. A great stalk up the hedgerow ensued which terminated in my 2nd doe. Moving on we reached the crest in the field which dipped down to a cover crop adjacent a stream , which I thought was perfect and commented to my mate to just sit here and watch. Not 5 minutes later a deer appeared in the crop which I dispatched quickly , which then spooked another 2 in the crop. Seeing as I had shot 3 deer now my mate was wondering what to do with them when I noticed another pair lying in the stubble, Seeing as I had not shot a buck he said if one is a buck take it. I checked through the scope and could make out the vampire fangs so it was game on. Seeing as the deer was lying down the only shot on was a neck shot. I bowled over the buck and it lay on the stubble motionless which I presumed meant it was dead , but no on approach it jumped up and ran off into cover and ended up in the stream . Luckily I managed to dispatch it , the bullet had went through the trachea but had failed to break the vertebrae . Always amazes me how tough animals can be at times. Anyway a great afternoon with 4 in the bag including a nice buck.

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00198.JPG

• Like 7

A quick walk out with longshanx around his spot tonight, not much about, seen a few deer and managed a couple of rabbits for dog food and a hare for longshanx food, back home to collect my venison from last week, all jointed, vac packed and frozen by longshanx ? he’s a good egg

18A77C97-E956-420A-A9D2-802F950049EF.jpeg

FCF3F716-C45D-4985-99C7-364A510A9EA9.jpeg

• Like 9

So I was at a bit of a loose end this afternoon as the missus was invited to a party ( I don’t get invited to party’s) so I thought I’d have a late afternoon up at my mates place for a doe, I got there about 5 and set off what I would call the wrong way around the land with the intention of getting to the wood for about 6. Not seeing anything until I got to the wood I glassed a doe along the wood side, it was a long way off so I set off up the wood side, getting to about 600 yards from it I got the thermal out to have a look up the wood to see if there was anything there that would give me away to the doe, about 400 yards from me and heading my way on the other side of the fence was a fox. I’ve now lost all interest in the doe and want the fox, I couldn’t see it through the bino’s but could see it’s heat pattern through the fence and hedge, so I gave a few squeaks on the mouth caller I always have with me and could see it through the thermal trying to find a way through the fence, as it did I could see it clear as day through the scope, it took half a dozen steps forward before stopping and taking a .243 90gn to the bib, I paced it out to 162, a good size dog, one more that won’t be working the game cover in the summer ?

9CE575E0-9905-446E-90FC-20C9A5BF06E6.jpeg

9BE99F5E-8EEA-43EA-9D46-99921178708B.jpeg

3265ED4E-3389-4CA6-9D13-2B0EFA37ECE2.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 9