Back up at the shoot

55 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Seems like the blizkings are quite frangible then SL. I think I might try the 40 grain blitzkings in .22 now I’ve read your findings ?. If anybody’s got and favourite.22 hornet recipes I’d be interested. Thanks?

I really like the vmax bullets for devastating kills . They really do some damage . However I use Sierra 55grain game heads in the .223 if I’m shooting in long grass or rape stubble as I find them a bit more robust and probably less likely to disintegrate at the slightest touch . But who knows what really happens down range ? It’s all in my head and I just feel more confident with them in some situations. 
          I only got the Sierra Blitzkings because I was advised to load a 70grain in .243 as they are supposed to be the most stable and coefficient ( not really sure what that means, I’m just repeating what Steve Bowers told me ) bullet weight for that calibre. Anyway I couldn’t find 70 grain vmax so got Sierra Blitzkings instead. 
           You say my “findings” it’s one fox !!! My findings are that you can’t go wrong with vmax if  if you are after a pure varmint round , I think they are as good as they come . Let us know what you go for and how you get on . Be interesting to hear ?ATB

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Sorry lads 

so what is the flattest round for 223 out to 300 yards , ie weight (foxes) 

might just change the 55g 

atb 

Try 50 grain vmax . Start low and work a load up , ( ladder test) keep your eye on the cases , and don’t be afraid to go over what’s in the book . Vihtavuori are it would seem very conservative with their max load . I’ve read some of the old posts on SD and got some data off there . Be careful though as the powder has changed and the data is different for the old stuff .

• Like 1

The ballistic coefficient is a calculation for determining a bullets ability to slip through the air. The higher the number the better for slipping through the air which translates into a slightly flatter trajectory.

In all honesty there isn't much to worry about over normal hunting distances and in the end the constant that is gravity wins every time so what ever the coefficient is you still have to give more elevation  the further you shoot whether it's 1" or 10"!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, David.evans said:

Do you think 5g would make much difference SL ? 

I was sticking 23gn of this stuff through the 223 Sako using these 55gn nosler, 

thought they were running hot but the cases were fine, lad I sold it to put some down a drainpipe range same poi as 40gn v max just slightly off to one side and doing 3600fps

B952828F-9859-4AC7-B108-05B2B02CB672.jpeg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I really like the vmax bullets for devastating kills . They really do some damage . However I use Sierra 55grain game heads in the .223 if I’m shooting in long grass or rape stubble as I find them a bit more robust and probably less likely to disintegrate at the slightest touch . But who knows what really happens down range ? It’s all in my head and I just feel more confident with them in some situations. 
          I only got the Sierra Blitzkings because I was advised to load a 70grain in .243 as they are supposed to be the most stable and coefficient ( not really sure what that means, I’m just repeating what Steve Bowers told me ) bullet weight for that calibre. Anyway I couldn’t find 70 grain vmax so got Sierra Blitzkings instead. 
           You say my “findings” it’s one fox !!! My findings are that you can’t go wrong with vmax if  if you are after a pure varmint round , I think they are as good as they come . Let us know what you go for and how you get on . Be interesting to hear ?ATB

Sorry, I forgot it was the first one with that rifle/load. Thanks for the info?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, David.evans said:

Do you think 5g would make much difference SL ? 

If you are up for testing your gun try which it likes best . I have happily found that 50grains shoot well in my rifle , but it’s difficult to tell as it’s got a digisight on it and doesn’t lend itself to range work . I am concentrating on the .243 for daylight shooting. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Yep mate 

and while your at it stick with the digisight , just better than the digex imho

atb 

The sightmark wraith looks a good bit of kit for the money! It’s colour in daylight, which is a massive improvement from my digisight, . Be interested to hear an impartial review on it .

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

The sightmark wraith looks a good bit of kit for the money! It’s colour in daylight, which is a massive improvement from my digisight, . Be interested to hear an impartial review on it .

Price of the wraith should come down further soon as they launch wraith 4k. Still think I'll stick with my 008 for now.

14 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve just ordered the new one, they said it should be in stock by the end of the month, there’s a waiting list for one

14 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve just ordered the new one, they said it should be in stock by the end of the month, there’s a waiting list for one

Fair play . Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it . If I was in the market for a new digisight, I would definitely be looking at one of those . Mark Ripley has tested them on YouTube, but he was probably paid to use it and show it on his channel.He said if you are looking for a “no frills “ digisight, then he would recommend one .