Back up at the shoot

On 12/07/2020 at 18:26, Stavross said:

They are an absolute menace up here, forestry used to trap them, poison them poke the drays out but now for some reason don’t bother, I’ll be taking the semi auto hatstand with me next time and shooting the drays out, could be a bit of fun one night after work

Yarp, some good fun on offer there Stavross. Let us know how you get on fella?

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Yarp, some good fun on offer there Stavross. Let us know how you get on fella?

Fingers crossed if I get finished early enough tomorrow I’m going to go and spray some lead around the place, see if I can drop a few  of them tree rats from the branches ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 2

Bit of an update from glorious Gloucestershire. The last batch of birds went in on Friday morning, so that’s the four pens full of birds . The first batch have got through that wet spell of weather and seem none the worse for their wet backs . 
          The second batch have settled in well so far and seem very even and well feathered, as good a birds as I’ve had . I’ve opened the first  pen up and they are getting out and about and I’m feeding them outside the pen a bit now . Not had any problems with Charlie yet , but I’m sure he will find them soon enough. I’ve been doing my rounds early in the morning and I’m looking for signs of kills , you can usually see crows lifting off the dead birds if a fox has struck , but so far so good . I’ve been setting snares in my usual kill spots and runs , but nothing yet . I just finished a patrol around the shoot and hadn’t seen a fox near the pens  . So I went down the low ground which had some grass cut Sunday , I left it the first night and planned on hitting them the second night as I usually have more success doing that , but it was pissing down so I thought I’d have a look tonight, just a few rabbits, no foxes . I thought I’d give the Icotec 350 a go , nothing to lose . I was in the mule so I got the rifle into position with one up the spout and safety on . I checked the NV and settled down to a scan with the thermal . I didn’t have to wait much more than a minute or two and a heat signature was spotted trotting towards the caller , I shut down the volume and turned on the NV , not quite enough light for a clear picture so on went the IR , it didn’t like that and stopped in it’s tracks looking straight at the red glow . Whoomp , It dropped instantly without even a twitch of its tail . The 50grn  Vmax in . 223 did it’s job and made a bit of a mess of a vixen . I repositioned her for the photo because I know you chaps have delicate sensibilities and stomachs . 

61DCD6BF-F4CF-4D14-BE4A-7664015E8828.jpeg

• Like 10

Dropping electric fence posts up at the shoot, though I’d stretch my legs with a walk round now the rain has stopped, took the hatstand semi with me and to my amazement I managed to drop a couple of woodies so traps set again and I’ll be back up tomorrow to carry on with pen repairs and check the traps, the flies are mental so it’s off home for a shower and a beer ?

D7AC7687-A474-42B4-B754-1261E6CC1735.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Dropping electric fence posts up at the shoot, though I’d stretch my legs with a walk round now the rain has stopped, took the hatstand semi with me and to my amazement I managed to drop a couple of woodies so traps set again and I’ll be back up tomorrow to carry on with pen repairs and check the traps, the flies are mental so it’s off home for a shower and a beer ?

D7AC7687-A474-42B4-B754-1261E6CC1735.jpeg

Don't you be wasting them woodies on the gingers my freezer need stocking up, I'll swap you for a few hoppers ??

Any nights/weekends you need a hand with the shoot let me know.

P. S, Happy hair cut dude? finally got mine done as well today??

• Like 1

On my way back to the farm I spotted one of the veg patch raiding rabbits crossing the track so let it have it with a 40g mini magnum, the old girl came out the house chuffed to bits that another one had bit the dust and tell me she had something for me, before producing these, I’m not sure what she expects me to do with them and I didn’t ask ?

C4567B1D-CEAA-4B45-8977-5871C687FED8.jpeg

• Haha 6
48 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

Don't you be wasting them woodies on the gingers my freezer need stocking up, I'll swap you for a few hoppers ??

Any nights/weekends you need a hand with the shoot let me know.

P. S, Happy hair cut dude? finally got mine done as well today??

You wouldn’t want them with what I shot them with, one of them was about 15 yards away and I pillowcased it

i’d forgotten just how pretty I was under all that hair ??

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

Just wondered what fencing solution you're using. I've had PEL, Hotlines (absolute trash in my opinion), and just bought VOSS (PEL 3v, others 12 volt or mains (dual power - I ran 12v). All I can say about VOSS as too early to comment on reliability is holy sh*t!!!!!

I tested it on 1/2 power (it's a 10K volt 3 joule unit on full and 6K 1.5 Joule Unit on 1/2), and compared to the Holtines 1.2J unit, again Holy Sh*t. The Hotlines unit which was trash for quality, used to give you a sharp jerk in the arm biceps. Touched the VOSS on 1/2 power whilst sat down and I literally jumped several feet in the air from the muscle spasm, not the reaction. Every muscle from the arm, leg buttocks right down to the foot  suffered a huge spasm. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Chest hurt a bit as if I'd been hit in it with a sledgehammer for about 20 mins after, head went all woolly about 5 mins after for a few minutes. Not touching that unit again! By far the best unit of any of them so far although I have to praise the PEL - difficult to compare for power as only 0.7 J but the unit lasted 12 years so 5 star for quality. VOSS looks great on the outside for quality but as well all know it's what inside that counts so imposible to assess at this stage. Looks great though, just don't bloody touch the wire!

Edited by Alsone
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

On my way back to the farm I spotted one of the veg patch raiding rabbits crossing the track so let it have it with a 40g mini magnum, the old girl came out the house chuffed to bits that another one had bit the dust and tell me she had something for me, before producing these, I’m not sure what she expects me to do with them and I didn’t ask ?

C4567B1D-CEAA-4B45-8977-5871C687FED8.jpeg

The question is where did she produce them from before she gave you them??, I bet you smelt them?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Alsone said:

Just wondered what fencing solution you're using. I've had PEL, Hotlines (absolute trash in my opinion), and just bought VOSS (PEL 3v, others 12 volt or mains (dual power - I ran 12v). All I can say about VOSS as too early to comment on reliability is holy sh*t!!!!!

I tested it on 1/2 power (it's a 10K volt 3 joule unit on full and 6K 1.5 Joule Unit on 1/2), and compared to the Holtines 1.2J unit, again Holy Sh*t. The Hotlines unit which was trash for quality, used to give you a sharp jerk in the arm biceps. Touched the VOSS on 1/2 power whilst sat down and I literally jumped several feet in the air from the muscle spasm, not the reaction. Every muscle from the arm, leg buttocks right down to the foot  suffered a huge spasm. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Chest hurt a bit as if I'd been hit in it with a sledgehammer for about 20 mins after, head went all woolly about 5 mins after for a few minutes. Not touching that unit again! By far the best unit of any of them so far although I have to praise the PEL - difficult to compare for power as only 0.7 J but the unit lasted 12 years so 5 star for quality. VOSS looks great on the outside for quality but as well all know it's what inside that counts so imposible to assess at this stage. Looks great though, just don't bloody touch the wire!

I have a Gallagher and two old hotlines, they do the job

ive just had a look at them Voss energisers and they look decent and not a lot of money