Back up at the shoot

Well I had a run up to the shoot last night as the crops are down and it’s not long before the birds come, so in between the very heavy and thundery showers I managed about 15 minutes of calling with the new fox caller, I must say I am very impressed with it, the sound quality is excellent and with 403 calls I’m spoiled for choice, even if I will use about a dozen of them on the gingers, I did call a little group of fallow down the field with a buck grunt even though they looked very confused, my plan was to go back tonight but the missus has volunteered us to look after our 11 year old nephew, I asked him if he wanted to come out with me but the pasty looking little fecker can’t drag himself away from his phone and I think he thinks fresh air will kill him ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Haha 3

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

6 Grandchildren, and without t,interwebb they shrivel and melt like vampires in sunlight. 

Theyre happy to eat burgers and meat from whatever grandad brings home but get that chair off their bony butts and turn off the ipad ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

End of the world. 

• Haha 4

Another hard days graft at the shoot, all new netting around the bottom, new pop holes installed, full new electric fence and a new drinker system, still a bit to finish off this week as the rain stopped play, I hope the syndicate members find some way of showing a bit of appreciation for the work me and Hugo’s dad have put into this now that we have taken over the running of it, but I’m sure they will just take it for granted and moan about something,  in my opinion it’s never looked this good and we have made a feed plan to get the birds where we want them, strimming out feed rides giving us clear set drives instead of in the past making it up on the day, the next worry is the quality of the birds and keeping on top of any illnesses 

BE3B012B-B158-4122-A39F-79003747E192.jpeg

23C81009-3FC7-474B-84F0-D04C4CBCCC32.jpeg

315E8AC2-B879-4099-85C2-B728B789D257.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm sure they appreciate all your hard work really ? looking good . We were up the shoot this morning filling up some feeders and taking delivery of 100 ducks , they looked nice and healthy.  We took 200 pheasant poults last weekend and glad to say only found 1 dead so far which jammed itself into some wire , so going well too.

• Like 3

That’s partly the reason we have replaced all the wire around the bottom of the pen, the old wire had a few holes in it as it’s been down a long time now and you can bet your life that poults will get stuck in it because they really are thick

32 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Our birds coming Wednesday. Fingers crossed the work we put in this year pays off. New gates, raised fence wire, new steps in pens, cut more rides sorted all fencers everything cleaned and the never ending vermin

Best of luck, you can only do your best and the rest is in the hands of the pheasant gods ?

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Our birds coming Wednesday. Fingers crossed the work we put in this year pays off. New gates, raised fence wire, new steps in pens, cut more rides sorted all fencers everything cleaned and the never ending vermin

Yep, I’m sure some of the people I know think that you just open a box on shoot day and the birds fly over them. Work, repairing pens, electric fencing, feeding, worming, controlling vermin, etc, what’s that ?  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

Best of luck, you can only do your best and the rest is in the hands of the pheasant gods ?

Very true sir

3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Yep, I’m sure some of the people I know think that you just open a box on shoot day and the birds fly over them. Work, repairing pens, electric fencing, feeding, worming, controlling vermin, etc, what’s that ?  

Seems to always be the same few every year grafting. But amazing how the others turn up to each shoot day. To be honest I enjoy the keepering side more than the shooting. 

Always been rifles rather than shotgun man. I end up in the line of beaters with my terriers more than at peg lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m the same, I’d much rather put a good day on for others than shoot myself, I’ve been known to swap my days with people for other rifle shooting 

ive been back up tonight on fox patrol, seen nothing until we were heading to the farm and spotted one in the gutter next to the farm, an easy 50 yard shot and down it went, my mates back up there tomorrow so he will retrieve it in daylight 

got a couple of rabbits from the veg patch as well with the.22 so the old girl will be pleased 

64038F98-29E4-4E8D-A2D1-C0F017480822.jpeg

83EB7700-8CE4-4C70-8BD6-B4CB75FF238D.jpeg

85D951E5-C88E-4AAE-8BB4-354CE4CA3131.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Very true sir

Seems to always be the same few every year grafting. But amazing how the others turn up to each shoot day. To be honest I enjoy the keepering side more than the shooting. 

Always been rifles rather than shotgun man. I end up in the line of beaters with my terriers more than at peg lol

Couldn’t agree more. I’m exactly the same??

• Like 1

Most people who just turn up on shoot days have absolutely no idea of the amount of work that is required to run a decent shoot.

I have been up to ours today as i do every Sunday just having a look around to see what needs doing before the birds come. We where walking down the side of a small spinney when out popped Charlie at the end. I will need to go back this week to see if i can sort that out.

• Like 3