Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I spend my evenings going around the pens checking that there are no problems and that all the fencers are working. I’ve always got a rifle with me and these days it’s my Tikka .243 loaded with Sierra Blitzkings 70grn . I’m really enjoying shooting this rifle and pop of crows and jackdaws (Meece don’t even go there ) as I practice at different ranges . 
      This evening I finished my rounds and was sat looking up a large bank/ valley . I was loading a joke onto the general section as it happens and I looked up from my iPhone and spotted Charlie trotting from left to right at about 150 meters , I whistled and it obligingly stopped to look at me , boom ?. It was a dog fox and he had a chewed up poult in his gob , judging from its clipped wing I’d say it was from the second lot of birds , so a good one to flatten out . 

27B2014E-3957-45BB-9766-5D26674586C8.jpeg

581FEBEB-A06A-4FAF-95BE-46B848A0FCB4.jpeg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

Off the sticks SL ..?

or truck just wondering mate as there no pod on the rifle 

atb 

I just shoot resting  on the dash of the ATV . I can brace my elbow on my knee and it’s incredibly stable . I’ve got a bipod on my .223 With the NV . But I’m resisting the urge to put a bipod on the .243 because it gets in the way when I shoot off sticks or fence posts . I forgot to mention that this is the first fox I’ve shot with this rifle . I’ve got it with me all the time but I’ve not seen a fox in enough light before . I do most of my fox shooting with the .223 at night.  I had wanted to see how  my home loads killed and all I can say is it dropped on the spot and there was no exit wound , I lifted it up and shook him and it was like a bag of marbles . So far so good . 

D6E1B7DA-B9F2-4CDC-BF2A-C0858013673B.jpeg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Great result , bet you're chuffed to bring that one to book , no more pheasant dinners for him.

The shoot is about 1500 acres and I would say I’ve done a good job of keeping their numbers down but you know the old saying ( kill one fox and two come to the funeral) is fairly true . You just create a vacuum and nature soon fills it . You just have to keep vigilant and keep a rifle with you and put the hours in at night .There will soon be another one to take his place at the table .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

SL 

what’s your home load for the 223 , I use 24g v133 with 55g v max and get sub 1/4 moa ar 100 yards 

no fox has got up from that mate 

atb 

Hi David, I use 25.7g of Vihtavuori 135 with 50 g vmax . Although it doesn’t say it on the data , that’s close to a compressed load , I couldn’t get another grain in the case . I’ve not got it on a chronograph, but I would think It’s around 3500 FPS . I got it cloverleafing at 100meters with a flyer that was down to me . I’ve had a fox at 251 meters with my NV and just aimed straight at it . It’s difficult to say what they are doing in my Tikka but I’ve got a Brno in .223 with a day scope on it and they are shoot flat to about 300 meters. I haven’t bothered testing any further. 
         The .243 is 42 g of N140 . My Sierra book gives data a lot less than that but then Vihtavuori is very conservative with its data . I haven’t noticed any signs of pressure problems at that load . But don’t take my word for it , do your own testing.? The rifle is shooting well at that and I’m knocking pigeon and crows ( jackdaws ) over at 300 meters , and I reckon I could shoot a fox out to 350 , if my marksmanship was ok . 

2 minutes ago, David.evans said:

I’ve a chrono if you want a lend no bother 

Same load as you in the 243 but v 160 95g Sst 

I might get my own soon , I always thought it was a bit “anorakish” and I suppose it is a bit . But I have really taken an interest in getting the most out of my guns and a chronograph is something I can see me getting soon . Thanks for the offer .?

3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I just shoot resting  on the dash of the ATV . I can brace my elbow on my knee and it’s incredibly stable . I’ve got a bipod on my .223 With the NV . But I’m resisting the urge to put a bipod on the .243 because it gets in the way when I shoot off sticks or fence posts . I forgot to mention that this is the first fox I’ve shot with this rifle . I’ve got it with me all the time but I’ve not seen a fox in enough light before . I do most of my fox shooting with the .223 at night.  I had wanted to see how  my home loads killed and all I can say is it dropped on the spot and there was no exit wound , I lifted it up and shook him and it was like a bag of marbles . So far so good . 

D6E1B7DA-B9F2-4CDC-BF2A-C0858013673B.jpeg

Seems like the blizkings are quite frangible then SL. I think I might try the 40 grain blitzkings in .22 now I’ve read your findings ?. If anybody’s got and favourite.22 hornet recipes I’d be interested. Thanks?