Back up at the shoot

Never had a shock from 1 till i went on a Gallagher repair course after that spent hours breakdancing  .

Bleddy farmers always brought them in with a full capacitor and i could find it blindfolded ???

• Haha 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

11 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I use the mosquito fencers . They run very well off car batteries. They just push in on their own earth bar . They also have indicator lights that tell you if you have a poor line or the battery is running low on juice. And I can tell you from personal experience it’s like being tasered when you touch one . I get mine from Collins  nets . Most of the keepers I know use them . 

5E104327-ED17-456E-9544-7F5A87A7C8BD.jpeg

That's more expensive compared to Voss and looks far less featured / capable. It's also lower voltage. £2 might not sound much but this unit is dual power for £99 and comes with the mains adapter included. They're also German made. The unti I bought which is comparable is 12kv and 3 joule. It hit me on 1/2 power. VOSS claim to use some clever waveform tuning to ensue the shock is much larger than a fence of comparable size from other manufacturers. I would have called bullsh*t but just having been hit by one, I have to say I'm a believer. As above I've been hit by a 1.2J Hotlines, and I'd have to say the hit from this was genuinely 10 times as great. This is the only fence I'm really scared of. Went to cut the grass yesterday adjacent to the fence but not up to it and turned the bl**dy thing off. Only time in 20yrs I've turned a unit off to cut the grass or hang out the washing!!!! I daren't even feed the fish around the pond it's protecting!!!

This is what I bought and it's a dual power unit- mains or battery. I'll put a picture up of the actual unit later if I have time been as there's so much interest in fencers. Size wise it's similar to a side plate in diameter and about 2 inches thick. Really like the display on these as it displays both power on, power leve ie 1/2 or full, and there's a built in output indicator that allows you to see if the unit is putting out full power giving notification therefore of issues. A simple multifunction on/ off button controls the power and the unit is pretty much instant on / off. It's also has very low currrent use compared to most. This unit uses less current than the older 1.2 models making claimed battery life much lomger between charges - a bonus if working remotely. There's also a remote control for some units. Anyway, think I've just done VOSS's marketing for them, here's the unit I bought:

https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-farming-impuls-duo-dv40-12v-mains-electric-fence-energiser-medium-length-fences-paddocks.html

Edited by Alsone
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

That's more expensive compared to Voss and looks far less featured / capable. It's also lower voltage. £2 might not sound much but this unit is dual power for £99 and comes with the mains adapter included. They're also German made. The unti I bought which is comparable is 12kv and 3 joule. It hit me on 1/2 power. VOSS claim to use some clever waveform tuning to ensue the shock is much larger than a fence of comparable size from other manufacturers. I would have called bullsh*t but just having been hit by one, I have to say I'm a believer. As above I've been hit by a 1.2J Hotlines, and I'd have to say the hit from this was genuinely 10 times as great. This is the only fence I'm really scared of. Went to cut the grass yesterday adjacent to the fence but not up to it and turned the bl**dy thing off. Only time in 20yrs I've turned a unit off to cut the grass or hang out the washing!!!! I daren't even feed the fish around the pond it's protecting!!!

This is what I bought and it's a dual power unit- mains or battery. I'll put a picture up of the actual unit later if I have time been as there's so much interest in fencers. Size wise it's similar to a side plate in diameter and about 2 inches thick. Really like the display on these as it displays both power on, power leve ie 1/2 or full, and there's a built in output indicator that allows you to see if the unit is putting out full power giving notification therefore of issues. A simple multifunction on/ off button controls the power and the unit is pretty much instant on / off. It's also has very low currrent use compared to most. This unit uses less current than the older 1.2 models making claimed battery life much lomger between charges - a bonus if working remotely. There's also a remote control for some units. Anyway, think I've just done VOSS's marketing for them, here's the unit I bought:

https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-farming-impuls-duo-dv40-12v-mains-electric-fence-energiser-medium-length-fences-paddocks.html

F@cking Germans ?

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Stavross said:

A good few years ago I pissed on a mains fence, I just fell on the floor and pissed all over myself 

Never pissed on one thank God but I was trying to get a rabbit out of a dry stone  wall and touched the mains fence with my forehead. I thought I had been struck down by lightning   it flung me off my feet backwards,  6 foot in the air . My mate couldn't do anything for laughing,  I was in shock for about 10 minutes,  hate the things.

• Haha 5
4 hours ago, Alsone said:

Surely they must make a 25kv 6J one? You can never have too much power, remember? :laugh:

I've got this one. 

20200720_091742.jpg.798be8873c9050d8136873f2d1ddb93f.jpg

I touched a mains one and woke up 10 minutes later from my spaniel licking my face. I knew the time it happened and in a confused state checked the time, I had been unconscious for 10minutes.

I know a farmer that checks his fences by just getting hold of the wire. Recons if your quick it's not so bad! Lune!!

I use to shot fox's on a pig unit. They had a wretched multi strand fence around the whole unit/s. I have observed a few times foxes listening to the pulses and in the blink of the eye shoot through the fence unscathed !

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I touched a mains one and woke up 10 minutes later from my spaniel licking my face. I knew the time it happened and in a confused state checked the time, I had been unconscious for 10minutes.

I know a farmer that checks his fences by just getting hold of the wire. Recons if your quick it's not so bad! Lune!!

I use to shot fox's on a pig unit. They had a wretched multi strand fence around the whole unit/s. I have observed a few times foxes listening to the pulses and in the blink of the eye shoot through the fence unscathed !

Our tractor man/feeder used to carry out running repairs on them with bare hands. Reckoned you only had to be quick when joining the two snapped ends together as you were filling the gap in the circuit. Loon. But he was Australian! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 20/07/2020 at 06:55, shovel leaner said:

F@cking Germans ?

Well at least being a fence if it breaks down someone looking smug in a Toyota doesn't drive past.

Hoping it's more reliable than German cars...

22 hours ago, walshie said:

Surely they must make a 25kv 6J one? You can never have too much power, remember? :laugh:

I've got this one.

Nice unit Walshie. I want to shock cats, herons and foxes though, not cook them!

21 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Yeah that was my method on the other units. After all, how can you know if a fence is effective if you've never felt it? My method has now changed to using the meter!

Edited by Alsone
  • Haha 1

As promised, the new Unit:

VOSS-DV40-Fence-Unit.jpg

Power light is at the top (out because of the pulse). Pulse light is at the bottom and segmented - how far it goes across indicates whether the unit is outputting at 100% or whether there's an issue and the percenateg actually being sent.On opff is soft touch and dual function for on / off, full / 1/2 power adjustment.

21cm before anyone asks, not that I'm boasting. :)

Incidentally, Walshie, they're selling many of the old style units off atm. No sure how much difference there is in the tech and how much is cosmetic. The new units use a lot less juice.

Edited by Alsone
18 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Well at least being a fence if it breaks down someone looking smug in a Toyota doesn't drive past.

Hoping it's more reliable than German cars...

Nice unit Walshie. I want to shock cats, herons and foxes though, not cook them!

Yeah that was my method on the other units. After all, how can you know if a fence is effective if you've never felt it? My method has now changed to using the meter!

So what spaniel you got mate?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

As promised, the new Unit:

VOSS-DV40-Fence-Unit.jpg

Power light is at the top (out because of the pulse). Pulse light is at the bottom and segmented - how far it goes across indicates whether the unit is outputting at 100% or whether there's an issue and the percenateg actually being sent.On opff is soft touch and dual function for on / off, full / 1/2 power adjustment.

21cm before anyone asks, not that I'm boasting. :)

Incidentally, Walshie, they're selling many of the old style units off atm. No sure how much difference there is in the tech and how much is cosmetic. The new units use a lot less juice.

They still sell my unit. It's the bottom of the range £99 jobby. Bit less power than your but does the job though. I change the battery about once a month. I can't remember now why I chose that over the  one that looks like yours, but there was a reason. The option for solar maybe? Anyhow, it does the trick. 

9000V or 12000v either way you,l none be pleased when it kicks like a bitch through you .I dont think anyone on here will do a "survey" by going and grabbing the different ones to see how much pain they cause ?

• Haha 3
22 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Our tractor man/feeder used to carry out running repairs on them with bare hands. Reckoned you only had to be quick when joining the two snapped ends together as you were filling the gap in the circuit. Loon. But he was Australian! 

You say he WAS Australian??

7 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

9000V or 12000v either way you,l none be pleased when it kicks like a bitch through you .I dont think anyone on here will do a "survey" by going and grabbing the different ones to see how much pain they cause ?

I did but they were my own units. Not after this latest one though. If it proves reliable I'm sticking with VOSS and trusting the meter!

BTW, I'm not yet looney enough to go into the countryside licking fences...maybe in a few years...I'll just have to remember to buy a Spaniel or take a Sausage Dog...

Edited by Alsone
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, walshie said:

They still sell my unit. It's the bottom of the range £99 jobby. Bit less power than your but does the job though. I change the battery about once a month. I can't remember now why I chose that over the  one that looks like yours, but there was a reason. The option for solar maybe? Anyhow, it does the trick. 

I think you can still do solar on this one with a standlone panel / box. 

• Like 1