Back up at the shoot

9 hours ago, Longshanx said:

The question is where did she produce them from before she gave you them??, I bet you smelt them?

Oh no, I didn’t give that any thought, that’s the stuff of nightmares, she said her daughter had brought them for me and she lives on her own ??

• Haha 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Oh no, I didn’t give that any thought, that’s the stuff of nightmares, she said her daughter had brought them for me and she lives on her own ??

Some people would pay extra for that type of thing.....or so I'm told...... 

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, Stavross said:

I have a Gallagher and two old hotlines, they do the job

ive just had a look at them Voss energisers and they look decent and not a lot of money

Thanks. Never tried Gallagher. Not impressed with Hotlines as you might be able to tell. My battery operated Pel lasted 12 years. Hotlines, until 1 month out of warranty. Got it repaired, it lasted another 3 weeks or so after that. Opening it up, some of the components looked poor quality in my opinion notably the HT coil which had split apart as it failed - very thin cheap plastic around it and coil looked cheap as a result. Pel was absolute quality.  Too early to tell on the VOSS but very impressed with the one I bought so far. German made so fingers crossed. Ask me in 3 years!

A good days graft around the pens today, we have got the mesh around the bottom of the newest pen ( forestry pen ) in and secure and a full new electric fence installed, I’ve removed the electric fence from the pen next to the farm ( Gordon’s pen ) and this will be renewed next week, our fabrication lad has started to install the new drinker system in Gordon’s pen as well, this is the same as the one he fitted in the forestry pen last season with large poultry drinkers, things are coming together now ?

ADC7DE60-C948-4F3F-BE3A-3EAC6A81CEAC.jpeg

98AFB417-CEBD-48A1-A5C4-8E294B4FB5C4.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Stavross said:

ive just had a look at them Voss energisers and they look decent and not a lot of money

Voss is good stuff. :thumbs:

1 minute ago, walshie said:

Voss is good stuff. :thumbs:

I’ve never looked at it, I’ve always just used what I’ve had but they are a bit knacked now, bodged together with tape and cable ties, so if there’s money left at the end of the season for that price I might have a couple ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stavross said:

I use the mosquito fencers . They run very well off car batteries. They just push in on their own earth bar . They also have indicator lights that tell you if you have a poor line or the battery is running low on juice. And I can tell you from personal experience it’s like being tasered when you touch one . I get mine from Collins  nets . Most of the keepers I know use them . 

5E104327-ED17-456E-9544-7F5A87A7C8BD.jpeg

• Like 1

We use hotshock at work. Sheep fleece notorious for insulating any shock but the hotshock seems to work on them, so would deffo fry Charlie's nose.

https://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acatalog/HotSHOCK-A50-Electric-Fencing-Battery-Energiser.html

Few years ago when I worked on the pigs, we had all them behind mains fences. Repairing one day, on my knees, bent over i accidentally touched my nose onto top wire; bang!! Like getting kicked in face by draft horse!! Missus reckons it killed few of my remaining brain cells!! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

A good few years ago I pissed on a mains fence, I just fell on the floor and pissed all over myself 

Everyone I know has done that except me . I used to help the old keeper before I took this shoot on and would work on the pens , putting in pop holes and general repairs   The old twat used to find it hilarious to put the fencer on while I was working and watch me jump and curse . I got paranoid to the extent that I used to remove and hide the unit in a bush , before he could zap me . What is it with old farm worker types , and they all seem to delight in causing pain , or playing practical jokes with shit .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3