Back up at the shoot

3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Looks a good size fox that !?

Nah just a cub , maybe the pic is making it look bigger. This afternoon had a ride out to Durham moors with mrs and daughter walking the dog. Saw a few grouse chilled out before the 12th..

20200724_170836.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

By, you’ve got some hoppers around you ?

I’ve been contacted today by our pheasant supplier asking if we’d take the birds early, so I’m guessing someone has cancelled their order, I’ve told him that we will be ready in a week and I mentioned about the price or could he chuck a few more in so we’ll see what comes of that, I’d better get some pellets ordered ?

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Stavross said:

By, you’ve got some hoppers around you ?

I’ve been contacted today by our pheasant supplier asking if we’d take the birds early, so I’m guessing someone has cancelled their order, I’ve told him that we will be ready in a week and I mentioned about the price or could he chuck a few more in so we’ll see what comes of that, I’d better get some pellets ordered ?

They are in pockets , some places have none and others a few. The dog has just had the hearts,  kidneys and livers for supper. We got a good price on the poults £3.30 ? Hopefully you get a decent price ?

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

They are in pockets , some places have none and others a few. The dog has just had the hearts,  kidneys and livers for supper. We got a good price on the poults £3.30 ? Hopefully you get a decent price ?

That is a good price, I think ours are about £3.80 and that’s on 900,  a £450 saving wouldn’t go a miss, it’s about time I started getting a wage from the shoot ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

What cartridges are you using in that sxs?

They don't look to shot up which is nice.

Fiochi 32g 6s .... I have always used this load for all my shooting whether it be rabbits, squirrels,  pigeon , crow , pheasant  ,duck . I remember the good old days when I used to shoot a lot of rabbits with the shotty over my terriers using Baikal Record , christ they were hard hitting. Another good cartridge back then was Sellier and Bellot I'm sure you will remember them ?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Fiochi 32g 6s .... I have always used this load for all my shooting whether it be rabbits, squirrels,  pigeon , crow , pheasant  ,duck . I remember the good old days when I used to shoot a lot of rabbits with the shotty over my terriers using Baikal Record , christ they were hard hitting. Another good cartridge back then was Sellier and Bellot I'm sure you will remember them ?

I do remember them. Wish they were still available.

I not so keen on those Fiocchi but its me I think.

I used to get victory cartridges for everything either Starlight or europa perdix . On the marsh , rabbits , pigeon , pheasant. A very good cartridge . Like a lot of Gloucester boys we used to go and see an old boy called Bert Hussey who was an importer , and we got them at sensible money .  His bungalow was a bit rough and ready and was a hub of local shooting gossip. He’s long dead now , but they were good days and he was the last of a generation of old Gloucestershire country men who lived life on their own terms .

• Like 3

Doing my rounds this morning and I was greeted with a pleasant surprise. A dog fox cub bouncing around in a wire . I don’t mess around with foxes in wires and quickly dispatch them , as I’ve had them break free when they panic at your arrival. It’s my first fox with my new Tikka 22lr ......does it still count? 

FD051DF7-4DC5-4472-B50B-D758F71B11B6.jpeg

• Like 11