Kibble

7 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Won’t go far wrong with a mix of both, I think they generally look better when they’re getting meat as well.

Dont think one or the other is the answer because feeding purely a BARF diet I’ve noticed they struggle to hold weight when they’re being worked hard

I've even noticed that with kibble too, the higher the protein content the leaner they look. 

No surprise really as we are exactly the same, carbs will pump you up and make you look fuller. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The feeding of lurchers has become really complicated...? I don't keep, performance dogs or racers and coursers,..just hedgerow mouchers.  So,..I've always subscribed to the notion, that a l

Autarky salmon and r.a.w. They scoff anything back anytime. They love tripe and sheep heads.

These topics remind me of veggies they rave on about not needing to eat meat then have to take supplements because they don't eat it ?

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've even noticed that with kibble too, the higher the protein content the leaner they look. 

No surprise really as we are exactly the same, carbs will pump you up and make you look fuller. 

I noticed that on a lot of the raw feeding groups, most dogs look well fed on just meat if they’re not getting any work, how much high quality nutrition does a dog need to hold condition when all it gets is a quick walk round the park every day. 

Something around 20-24% protein with a high fat & good vitamin content is spot on to mix with a pound of beef or chicken, with some liquids & veg.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Just in passing, I've fed dogs all ways over the years and noticed that dogs fed on meat and bone will eat rough grass then "bile out" a lot more.

I’ve noticed that too. If I don’t mix it up with some veg every now and then they will pick at the grass. Think it’s about balancing it out. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, dodger said:

I to tried a bag of this as a mixer just based on good reviews n I found they liked it n there stools was easy to pick up aswell as not goin to much only drawback for me was they didn't seem to be able to maintain weight on it..

Fed Lidl for years now as a mixer but never had that issue. That said the raw is mostly chicken carcasses. I do notice a difference with beef.

3 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Fed Lidl for years now as a mixer but never had that issue. That said the raw is mostly chicken carcasses. I do notice a difference with beef.

Other than mine not maintaining the weight it did seem good stuff for off season real easy to pick up stools n not much of it just the weight thing but maybe gotta give it abit longer.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Just in passing, I've fed dogs all ways over the years and noticed that dogs fed on meat and bone will eat rough grass then "bile out" a lot more.

Seen dogs just fed biscuit the same mate 

23 hours ago, dodger said:

I to tried a bag of this as a mixer just based on good reviews n I found they liked it n there stools was easy to pick up aswell as not goin to much only drawback for me was they didn't seem to be able to maintain weight on it..

I don’t use it anymore, I’ve found that skinners field and trail maintenance is a good kibble as a mixer 

• Like 1

Anyone fed dr johns silver bag? Mine are on field and trail maintenance at the moment for summer. But that’s only 18% protein want to start upping the protein end of July/august to get them ready for September. Or any other kibble. There not getting hammered 4 nights a week but have couple nights a week in season with plenty of evening exercise 

9 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Why did you go away from it? 

I tried a few of Millie's and found them nothing out the ordinary but the endurance is probably the best complete iv used good stools and not much of it plus most importantly held there weight on it throughout the season but they kept putting the prices up and when you've a few dogs on aswell as everything else it's not really practical, also they go along the lines of there products being high meat based but when you look into it it's mainly from fresh ingredients were as once you then take the moisture out it doesn't have as much meat in the end product as they state, i add meat anyway but if doing that I can do it with many other brands, also they don't manufacture there products themselves as alot think, so although I think it's a good complete I don't think it's all that but if you only have a couple of dogs and want to try a good complete instead of a more meat based diet with mixer then they definitely seem to do well off it.

5 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Anyone fed dr johns silver bag? Mine are on field and trail maintenance at the moment for summer. But that’s only 18% protein want to start upping the protein end of July/august to get them ready for September. Or any other kibble. There not getting hammered 4 nights a week but have couple nights a week in season with plenty of evening exercise 

A lot of lurcher lads don't like it but a lot of gundog lads swear by it I know a few lads that use dr johns gold all year round and there dogs look and work well.