Herder

7 minutes ago, socks said:

All my dogs have always and will always work with longnets 

I don't doubt you. but do we mean the text book dog that walks by your side while you run and set a couple of hundred yards of nets. then casts off & bants the fields while you stay and kill the nets. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colliejohn asked me to put these up for him 

Funny thread this one, sensible question, interesting debate on working long nets etc......then it went mental...lol So is the dog a Jacker?? Is there honestly a dog that has never been stra

Here's a couple of pics of the bitch out of the herder and buster.  

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I don't doubt you. but do we mean the text book dog that walks by your side while you run and set a couple of hundred yards of nets. then casts off & bants the fields while you stay and kill the nets. 

know and seen a lads cocker x Russell that would do that and a hell of a lot more,put gundogs to shame picking up and the best dog I've ever seen at ratting,day and night?

• Like 1

I think most lurchers can work a long net during ferreting but if we are talking at night as described above then in my opinion that is a rare animal. To leave the rabbit  once in the net and then cast back out into the darkness to drive more rabbits into the net all with minimal commands that’s a dog i would like to own. 

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Like iv said mate I believe the reason our collie was half decent as he had no interest in bunnies, none what so ever, search all day for scent but wasn’t arsed I’m slightest about catching them, I’d have to cut me lurcher out the net I’m sure if I tried it with her?

I think you may be on to something there, the lack of wanting to actual feel fur in the dogs mouth. Mine would be same as yours! They are fine in the day, very rarely getting tangled or hit the long net but will hold the rabbit there till I untangle it and take it off them but no way I would even contemplate doing old school long net work at night would be a disaster! First rabbit would be our last probably!!!! ?

• Haha 1

Ah right we are talking about longneting at night  ... I’ve only trained one dog for that job my old dog Tegan and to be fair she was pretty good at it ... I don’t do enough longnetting at night to bother training a dog for that game now .......

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, fred90 said:

there was a discution on here a few year back about such things......now wilst setting a 50 yarder up in front of a warren at night and using a dog whilst you sit by the net ...yeh it could be done....

but like you say if you got 2 or even 3 hundrend yard of net stretched in front of a wood....then theres no way a dog can work it all properly....best to have a bant line between two guys.....

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

there was a discution on here a few year back about such things......now wilst setting a 50 yarder up in front of a warren at night and using a dog whilst you sit by the net ...yeh it could be done....

but like you say if you got 2 or even 3 hundrend yard of net stretched in front of a wood....then theres no way a dog can work it all properly....best to have a bant line between two guys.....

That's how we used do it just wondered if anyone done it wi dogs

8 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Now my whippet x is retired to sit infront of the fire and pot around in the yard and walks along the river I'm considering getting a herder for ferreting and net work .

what folk think of Australian shepherd ,

be good to know if anyone works this breed .

atb

Bomb proof at herding cows 

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

Used to walk across land with what my uncle called a drag line ,he would set nets and me and my cousin would have a end of line and walk towards net .he took plenty like this .