Strange wildlife you've witnessed

2 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Also put 3 mallard off a small rushy pond once about 6 inchs deep. I fired and missed ? and they flew away. About a minute later I heard a mad quacking noise and 2 of the mallard came crashing back into pond with a hawk in hot pursuit. I shot one before they landed and hawk veered away. I seen exactly where other duck landed and went over and kicked the rushes but no way would it take to the sky again.

That reminds me of one that been winged and landed on a small bit of pond ive never known an animal try so much to avoid the dogs keeping its whole body under the water before pressure got too much if it was healthy idve happily let it be but managed to pick him in the end.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched a female cuckoo lay her egg last summer in a meadow pipits nest. It took her around 4 hours to find and then lay her egg. I stood watching in the blazing sun all that time, binoculars fixed

I went fishing for Huss one night, picked a nice little platform between Brixham and Dartmouth. It was getting twilight, casted both rods out and settled down lit a fag (smoked then) poured a cup of t

Venus my old dog once caught two rabbits at the same time ferreting....she caught one and as she was retrieving it another bolted....she then ran that keeping the other in her mouth....and caught the

Posted Images

Also seen a magpie taking a sparrow in its beak in mid air and flying away without landing. Sparrows were eating grain on road spilt from a trailer and magpie just dipped over hedge startled them and then grabbed one in the air and away.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, C.green said:

That reminds me of one that been winged and landed on a small bit of pond ive never known an animal try so much to avoid the dogs keeping its whole body under the water before pressure got too much if it was healthy idve happily let it be but managed to pick him in the end.

Yeah they sure can swim like a penguin when hit. They will just pop up their nostrils for air. Seen one make a fool out of my lab once in a narrow stream with no cover.

1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

I remember being in Belfast city centre in the 80s seeing my 1st real live wog and thinking where da feck did that come from everybody was watching it lol

My best mate is Hungarian, and he once told me this.......

At the end of the war, some American troops marched throgugh Budapest, with crowds gathered to watch them go past. His dad (who was then a small boy) had never seen a darkie before. He pointed at a black GI and said "Look - monkey !"

The soldier had a go at him, for being rude and lad said " Mum - monkey talks !"

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, jiggy said:

I seen a stoat catch a half grown rabbit 10 feet away from me when I was building some stables. The rabbit looked exhausted like it had been running for ages. The stoat chased it up a concrete horse ramp and waited until it was fully beside it before nailing it on the back of the neck. I chased the stoat away and picked up the still alive rabbit and left it up on a bank but it died minutes later. Must of been a heart attack because it was just a quick bite. Either that or the stoat knew where the vein was in its neck.

I did the same in my twenties

plsnting  trees on a shoot and sat down for a minute then like a private nature documentary in front of me saw a stoat fighting a young rabbit

was mesmerising 

• Like 1

Seen hares , owlsand badgers called on the lamp but the wierdest had to be a marsh harrier hopping up the lamp. It came from a field away so looked like a fox limping til it got close. We could see an outline but no eyes so it was awfully confusing.

Seen a silver eel come out the mud like some sort of reincarnation whilst crabbing, scared the shit out of me. Came straight up from below the surface.

Seen a rabbit bolt a stoat out ferreting and chase it off, think it must of been a doe with kits.

• Like 1

Once when lamping I was squeaking a fox in when I got dive bombed by a barn owl I was night fishing the river when two badgers rolled down the steep bank fightng the noise they made was scary in the middle of the night i wondered wtf it was I went to grab my knife but stood there in the pitch black with my fecking tea spoon that I used for brewing up 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Venus my old dog once caught two rabbits at the same time ferreting....she caught one and as she was retrieving it another bolted....she then ran that keeping the other in her mouth....and caught the second....I was astonished as usualy in that situation...they often drop the first wich runs off unles its a hard mouthed dog....the second one she caught using her mouth and feet.....I ran over and got both off her....I thought it to much to expect her retrieve both

• Like 8
13 hours ago, jiggy said:

Also put 3 mallard off a small rushy pond once about 6 inchs deep. I fired and missed ? and they flew away. About a minute later I heard a mad quacking noise and 2 of the mallard came crashing back into pond with a hawk in hot pursuit. I shot one before they landed and hawk veered away. I seen exactly where other duck landed and went over and kicked the rushes but no way would it take to the sky again.

Once shot a teal on a frozen pond, it went under the ice (water was only a foot depth).....it was swimming about under the ice and the dog couldn’t understand why it couldn’t pick it up......was driving it mad

• Haha 5

Caught a bloke wanking over a car in a lay-by Year’s back, flicked the lamp round the lay-by young couple shagging in a car and dirty old perv leaning over the boot tugging one off, not wildlife as we no it but still a strange thing to witness????

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

stopped to roll a fag on a mooch ....watching 2 wood pidgeons making a nest yrs ago up In a tree..little male spar came from nowhere and slammed into the 1 bird,round and round ,dog fighting -with the other bird trying to attack the hawk....spar landed in a little brook and held the pidgeon under until it had killed it,then started eating it while it's partner looked lost lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Caught a bloke wanking over a car in a lay-by Year’s back, flicked the lamp round the lay-by young couple shagging in a car and dirty old perv leaning over the boot tugging one off, not wildlife as we no it but still a strange thing to witness????

STAN COLYMORE (footballer) was into all that ?

Dogging, aint it?