Strange wildlife you've witnessed

12 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I watched a stoat drag a young grey squirrel out of its drey high up in a big old beech tree and drag it down to the ground once at work. I've also seen a grey and a red come out of the same drey.

When I was a kid I came home from school and the cat was sat looking out the patio doors and there was a massive hare sat eating in the middle of the back lawn happy as a pig in shit. My parents garden was a good distance from the fields and the route the hare took to get out took it over next doors 3ft wall through a gap into the next roads gardens and away up the main road? Feck knows how or why it got in there to begin with.

I seen a stoat catch a half grown rabbit 10 feet away from me when I was building some stables. The rabbit looked exhausted like it had been running for ages. The stoat chased it up a concrete horse ramp and waited until it was fully beside it before nailing it on the back of the neck. I chased the stoat away and picked up the still alive rabbit and left it up on a bank but it died minutes later. Must of been a heart attack because it was just a quick bite. Either that or the stoat knew where the vein was in its neck.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched a female cuckoo lay her egg last summer in a meadow pipits nest. It took her around 4 hours to find and then lay her egg. I stood watching in the blazing sun all that time, binoculars fixed

I went fishing for Huss one night, picked a nice little platform between Brixham and Dartmouth. It was getting twilight, casted both rods out and settled down lit a fag (smoked then) poured a cup of t

Venus my old dog once caught two rabbits at the same time ferreting....she caught one and as she was retrieving it another bolted....she then ran that keeping the other in her mouth....and caught the

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, dytkos said:

In Senegal we were on a coach trip out to some place and stopped at a settlement for refreshments, wandering around and a pelican chased my Mrs across the front of the tent we were in, was the best part of 6 foot tall lol

Cheers, D.

You'd best warn her they're over here now.......................pelican.jpg.b8cd643099f07e8ac76315f26e81b20d.jpg

taken on the Taw in Devon.

• Like 3

Obviously for me seeing a black leopard in the wild in Dorset had a pretty big impact on my life, but I,ve also seen a lot of other weird and wonderful things top of the list was a lamaguire vulture flying over my house on two consecutive evenings 9ft windspan looked pretty impressive ✌️

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I seen a stoat catch a half grown rabbit 10 feet away from me when I was building some stables. The rabbit looked exhausted like it had been running for ages. The stoat chased it up a concrete horse ramp and waited until it was fully beside it before nailing it on the back of the neck. I chased the stoat away and picked up the still alive rabbit and left it up on a bank but it died minutes later. Must of been a heart attack because it was just a quick bite. Either that or the stoat knew where the vein was in its neck.

Years ago a lad at work chased a stoat off a rabbit and covered it with summat and told me to pick it up later on for the ferrets and when I got there the poor sod was still alive, paralysed with the back of its neck eaten out.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, dogmad riley said:

Was fishing for barbel once when I hooked an eel. Just as I was reeling it in an otter came up and took the eel. 

Was good to see and never seen owt like it since.

watched a cormorant catch an eel once,must of been 3 ft long good 4/5 lb,bird swallowed it in one go and it f***ing wriggled out couple of times,cormorant was having none of it and persisted until it finished the job ....I thought how the f**k can it fit something that big in  it's stomach ?greedy b*****ds

• Like 1

I’ll not be the only one this has happened to but I was amazed the first time I ever squeaked in hares, two of them coming towards me running flat out thought it was 2 foxes till I took the red lense off then realised it was hares, both came to less than 10 feet of me. 

14 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I’ll not be the only one this has happened to but I was amazed the first time I ever squeaked in hares, two of them coming towards me running flat out thought it was 2 foxes till I took the red lense off then realised it was hares, both came to less than 10 feet of me. 

done it a few times myself,start calling a fox and there's a few hares at your feet?last time was when I had a shine with  a lad off here....lamp my old bitch off the slip....she's caught all sorts over the yrs with no beam......sometimes more than she does with the lamp on??

• Like 1

22 hours ago, trapperman said:

I was lamping one night and found about 12-15 glow flys/bugs not flying just on the ground never knew we had them in the uk

There used to be loads of them when I was a kid but haven't seen one for years.

21 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

i have actually shot a fox up a tree,damn thing had used a fallen tree to climb up and 'nest' in the ivy.

as i walked through i heard the rusttling,looked up,seen the fox,boom

we've had several cats up big trees on the shoot. Vermin.!

Nature is interesting. I had two perigrines swoop on my pigeon pattern and zoom back up to a hover. They looked surprised that the pigeon didn't get up. I could have shot both of them. We had several peacocks on the shoot that someone must have had in their garden that decided to wander. That's quite a moment for both the labrador and me when the dog flushed that out of a bramble Bush unexpectidly. We didn't shoot them but Charlie took them. I was out one evening with the dog and air rifle after a couple of rabbits and noticed what I thought was one. I got forward to a fence at the edge of the wood to see where it had gone. Looking into the wood, suddenly two small Fox cubs came racing through the fence shot round both me and the dog and back through into the wood. The cubs didn't sèm to have noticed us and my dog sat motionless. the cubs went down the earth. We could come back another time. This summer we were going up a local river and there was a grass snake swimming down the river right in the middle. It didn't seem concerned that we were going up with outboard.  Out night shooting rabbits and was sqeaeking up when an owl nearly took my hat off. Loads and loads of odd things like that over the years .

Edited by Meece

Seen deer take to water a few times. Seen a squirrel running along with a young bird in its mouth. Also especially summer just gone seen quite a few badgers out in the daytime i dont mean mooching about in the evening i mean proper daytime. 

Bet not many folks have squeked a badger in either but seen one come running in like a well trained dog to whistle when squeaking foxes lol. Part of what keeps me mooching in the countryside is seeing these things most dont.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 2

Everybody's seen it but i can't help but watch when a fly lands in a spiders web and the spider does his business and i hate spiders.

Was walking around a pond last year and right in front of me a wasp attacked a dragon fly and they fought to the death on the floor.

• Like 1

Also put 3 mallard off a small rushy pond once about 6 inchs deep. I fired and missed ? and they flew away. About a minute later I heard a mad quacking noise and 2 of the mallard came crashing back into pond with a hawk in hot pursuit. I shot one before they landed and hawk veered away. I seen exactly where other duck landed and went over and kicked the rushes but no way would it take to the sky again.