Deerhound / Greyhound

13 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Lovely to see...👏

My mind harks back to a time when nearly every running dog one saw, was Deerhound influenced👍

_PHL8523.JPG

1st lurcher I had was a very similar type to yours in the pic, a very intelligent dog, fckn thing was brighter than me (which wasnt difficult) I loved that dog

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pair of 1st cross deer/greys; Nine month old dog pup and three year old bitch. Cheers.

3/4 x. From Dave platt and joe Woolley   13 months old.  Keeps going wae he is will make a cracking dog no fear strong as hell 

The old lad very much retired no fuks given about the beast from the east   

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Lovely to see...👏

My mind harks back to a time when nearly every running dog one saw, was Deerhound influenced👍

_PHL8523.JPG

I remember back in the 60’s and 70’s the deerhound cross was the most popular lurcher type up here around the Ashington , Bedlington, Cramlington area.

My pal had a deer/grey that was the very first lurcher I saw genuinely do “the four tricks” , HJKC, as they used to say in the old Exchange & Mart ads !

Cheers.

• Like 4

I think the true Deerhound that lived long ago is also long extinct and attempts to recreate it have mainly been in the hands of show minded people and have failed in all but looks. The modern type crosses with Greyhounds are producing what I think used to be called the Scotch Greyhound. From what Ive read you would have to test a dog on a lot more than Hare and Roe to call it a true Deerhound.

19 minutes ago, jeemes said:

I think the true Deerhound that lived long ago is also long extinct and attempts to recreate it have mainly been in the hands of show minded people and have failed in all but looks. The modern type crosses with Greyhounds are producing what I think used to be called the Scotch Greyhound. From what Ive read you would have to test a dog on a lot more than Hare and Roe to call it a true Deerhound.

Mr scrope an his pals had the real uns 

On 28/04/2024 at 17:32, chartpolski said:

Pair of 1st cross deer/greys;

11C2C704-38BD-4E2F-ACB1-6C3A46A193F0.jpeg.a83650e0b895835c0d88d14e612b2484.jpeg

Nine month old dog pup and three year old bitch.

Cheers.

Lovely looking hounds, but maybe a touch too big for me. Often thought a bitch like yours Charts with a nice type of grew over her would produce a handy animal  imo 

• Like 7
On 30/04/2024 at 18:49, chartpolski said:

I remember back in the 60’s and 70’s the deerhound cross was the most popular lurcher type up here around the Ashington , Bedlington, Cramlington area.

My pal had a deer/grey that was the very first lurcher I saw genuinely do “the four tricks” , HJKC, as they used to say in the old Exchange & Mart ads !

Cheers.

I remember looking in the Exchange and Mart adds for my first proper lurcher pup in the 70s and most of the adds were for deerhound crosses also remember the name Nuttall a bit who bred deerhound crosses .

2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I remember looking in the Exchange and Mart adds for my first proper lurcher pup in the 70s and most of the adds were for deerhound crosses also remember the name Nuttall a bit who bred deerhound crosses .

tats that would have been john nuttall a brother to brian nuttall holmes chapel, always had ad every week in exchange and mart he used to charge 15 pound a pup, bought one of him in the early 70s it was the enterkine strain of working deerhounds, job to find quality stuff these days, last 3 dxgs ive had came from dave platts, current one 12th generation reasonable dog 2yr old, suits me now at my age, will be my last i reckon the way lurcher work is going these days, we were lucky to have walked the walk with the dogs in better times.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
On 28/04/2024 at 18:32, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

absolute corking examples. I like the young dog on the left

• Like 1
On 28/04/2024 at 18:32, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Are they bred off the same line of deerhound charts?

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

Are they bred off the same line of deerhound charts?

Yes, they have the same greyhound dam, an Irish coursing bitch sired by Mafi Magic the Irish coursing champion. 
The sires are pure deerhounds . The sire to my bitch is the grand sire to the pup, so they are very closely related.

Cheers.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Yes, they have the same greyhound dam, an Irish coursing bitch sired by Mafi Magic the Irish coursing champion. 
The sires are pure deerhounds . The sire to my bitch is the grand sire to the pup, so they are very closely related.

Cheers.

They have a very similar look, best of luck to yous both with your pups

A big % of hunting dogs over here have Deerhound DNA from the staghound which is in a lot of rabbit dogs, pig dogs and others. The Deerhound was an important breed over here when you look back and the Deerhound/greyhound kept food on the table in the early settlement days.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 4