dave platts' saracen

13 hours ago, sandymere said:

Perhaps part of the problem is the greyhounds that are being used. Modern coursing type greyhounds are big animals that are not overly successful hare catchers, so crossing a massive deerhound with a pretty big greyhound isn’t going to do much towards bringing down the size or increasing agility. I’m not saying big dogs can’t catch but rather those that can do so in spite of their size, especially when one considers it would be F1 hybrid so likely to throw larger than smaller in the 1st generation.

An animal of about 26” will not have to overcome its size; in fact the opposite is true and many of the dogs from history were more 26” than 30”. Everyone extolls those D/H hybrids from the 70’s and 80’s so look at the type of greyhounds they were using back then and you’ll find in many cases it was a track greyhound and they were smaller then than now, even the coursing dogs back then if used were smaller. Then consider an average modern track dog if moved back 30 years world be a top class animal likely better than the dogs used then so perhaps the answer would be to use a smaller staying track greyhound x D/H to breed a working type animal.

Alternatives would be a coursing type lurcher or Galgo crossed to a D/H to make a smaller, lighter type with agility and stamina but still quite typy. With the former the F2’s might be a little variable but not too much.

spot on, most of the modern deerhounds and 1st x's I've seen would suit the drayman better than a lurcher man.

mind Doxhope saying he got small greyhound bitches and his deerhounds were small, people still talk about them?

think a big non ped scratch racer sire would produce a handy hound?

Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

It  seems  the idea of breeding a litter of extremely well bred 1st x's is a lost cause,so that ideas put on the scrap heap for the moment,..pity...how did the bitch run on the few BIG RABBITS   she had HD3?

I think if you bred a litter there would be a small market for them, you might be left with some witch would be a shame.

2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Perhaps part of the problem is the greyhounds that are being used. Modern coursing type greyhounds are big animals that are not overly successful hare catchers, so crossing a massive deerhound with a pretty big greyhound isn’t going to do much towards bringing down the size or increasing agility. I’m not saying big dogs can’t catch but rather those that can do so in spite of their size, especially when one considers it would be F1 hybrid so likely to throw larger than smaller in the 1st generation.

An animal of about 26” will not have to overcome its size; in fact the opposite is true and many of the dogs from history were more 26” than 30”. Everyone extolls those D/H hybrids from the 70’s and 80’s so look at the type of greyhounds they were using back then and you’ll find in many cases it was a track greyhound and they were smaller then than now, even the coursing dogs back then if used were smaller. Then consider an average modern track dog if moved back 30 years world be a top class animal likely better than the dogs used then so perhaps the answer would be to use a smaller staying track greyhound x D/H to breed a working type animal.

Alternatives would be a coursing type lurcher or Galgo crossed to a D/H to make a smaller, lighter type with agility and stamina but still quite typy. With the former the F2’s might be a little variable but not too much.

I ran saluki crosses right through the 70s and 80s and loads of lads ran dearhound crosses back then and I never saw a gooden  day time, ones that were good lampers all had something else in em , if its a rough lurcher that's wanted beddy cross all day long for me.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, two crows said:

I ran saluki crosses right through the 70s and 80s and loads of lads ran dearhound crosses back then and I never saw a gooden  day time, ones that were good lampers all had something else in em , if its a rough lurcher that's wanted beddy cross all day long for me.

Good post two crows those grey bitches we used were twenty four twenty five f1 bitches come twenty five dogs twenty nine. Got the odd large dog .atb bunnys

To Crows I ran a d/h /grey X collie/grey and a saluki hybrid back then, often together on the south downs and both had their good and not so good points, the DH/ hybrid caught more hares but the saluki did more of the work. I have no photos but did this of them.

post-2025-0-30396200-1299235808_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

It  seems  the idea of breeding a litter of extremely well bred 1st x's is a lost cause,so that ideas put on the scrap heap for the moment,..pity...how did the bitch run on the few BIG RABBITS   she had HD3?

just curious jijsaw did u ever ask the man that has the working deerhound dog,for a service yourself. 

I dont know the chap at all,hes a friend of some good friends of mine...supposed to be a very nice bloke too..and as I have no interest in keeping deerhound blood i would not have a need for the dogs lines,,but id like to see the deerhound given a chance to recover and rejuvenate its status as a working animal

6 hours ago, sandymere said:

To return to the original post Dave Platt's dogs are consistently 26-28" for, I think, the reason outlined above. Rightly or wrongly this is what I think he is trying to do. 

10 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

To return to the original post Dave Platt's dogs are consistently 26-28" for, I think, the reason outlined above. Rightly or wrongly this is what I think he is trying to do. 

Alternatively just get on here

and find a Galguero that still breeds rough coated animals from good coursing lines and get one of these.

rough.jpg.1025c05b8adafebbbd10654220286bf0.jpg5a26622e8f523_rough3.jpg.b6610881a44e7de627dd15e1702476ab.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

post-2025-0-85887300-1508177761_thumb.jpg

4 hours ago, Gilbey said:

what's the temp like on average? Cheers

In general very like an English/Irish greyhound.

My bitch is as soft as lights, great with the kids, and very easy going other than being little nervy after another dog had a go at her recently, relaxed and quiet at home.  I've owned a few Greys over the years and temperament wise she wouldn't be out of place among them.

In the field is a different animal, very focused and driven.

Edited by sandymere
32 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

I'd find it hard for any type of running dog to be more driven / focused than a pure Greyhound.

As Driven obviously they will be but as a rule / in general ' more driven ??????

No no no i mean :thumbs:  when i said "In the field is a different animal, very focused and driven" I was referring to her difference between field and home not in comparism to greyhounds.

In fact very like the Greyhound in the field.:thumbs: and in truth I have more experience with greys than Galgos

post-2025-0-57532000-1415268661.jpgpost-2025-0-68243500-1415268774.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Well England Expects and Art Banksy are getting no younger.

Anyone with a Pure Deerhound

Pure Saluki

or a F1 or F2 of any cross that they want to put Greyhound into are more than welcome to use them for Free.

Fair play max that's a great offer.

• Like 1

Glagos are snipey nosed, shivery, whining cnuts (just like my coursing dog lol). Wouldnt put a penny bet on most against English blood ;)

Must admit though, they seem to have endurance and bloody good feet to run on this terrain.

14 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Glagos are snipey nosed, shivery, whining cnuts (just like my coursing dog lol). Wouldnt put a penny bet on most against English blood ;)

Must admit though, they seem to have endurance and bloody good feet to run on this terrain.

Cope ok with a little English mud ?IMG_20171024_162027.thumb.jpg.b463cd8e2d4cdebe5d7de5cb18e4a069.jpg