dave platts' saracen

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

post-2025-0-85887300-1508177761_thumb.jpg

In general very like an English/Irish greyhound.

My bitch is as soft as lights, great with the kids, and very easy going other than being little nervy after another dog had a go at her recently, relaxed and quiet at home.  I've owned a few Greys over the years and temperament wise she wouldn't be out of place among them.

In the field is a different animal, very focused and driven.

thanks, was just interested because a good few have a saluki type look about them

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

If someone had the right Deerhound bitch anyone of those two greyhounds would compliment them.

I put Art Banksy over a Splodge x Fettle bitch and from the couple of lads who have kept in contact and sent pics you could take them for old type Deerhound crosses.

how are these doing in the field max, did you keep one .

36 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

thanks, was just interested because a good few have a saluki type look about them

Indeed, that's the reaction i get from Lurcher people, " is it a saluki cross?" and in all probability when the Moors occupied Spain they would likely have brought their saluki type dogs with them which would have bred with thew local western greyhound types of the time resulting in the Galgos ancestors. She is very much a middle ground between the two types.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

A few lads kept in contact although I ain't heard nothing from a lad on the South Coast for a couple of months.

One was lost in May suspected maybe killed by train

Nice stamp of bitch

Lad south coast had caught hoof and puss around a year old.

Another lad in NE saying at mo best bitch daytime he's ever owned but early days.

Another lad said his retrieved to take always first night of asking.

Mine is just had a season will start soon .

chears just interested how they turned out.

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Indeed, that's the reaction i get from Lurcher people, " is it a saluki cross?" and in all probability when the Moors occupied Spain they would likely have brought their saluki type dogs with them which would have bred with thew local western greyhound types of the time resulting in the Galgos ancestors. She is very much a middle ground between the two types.

thanks again

I don't think anybody would buy a deer/grey to excel either as a daytime or lamping dog. There are better animals for both those jobs. People keep them because of their temperament and their aesthetically pleasing  looks. They are great to be around. If you are into numbers look elsewhere.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I don't think anybody would buy a deer/grey to excel either as a daytime or lamping dog. There are better animals for both those jobs. People keep them because of their temperament and their aesthetically pleasing  looks. They are great to be around. If you are into numbers look elsewhere.

Not always a bad thing, i find it helps if people like the dog they own and as ever its horses for courses, for those who don't go for numbers but a bit of fun they might well be just the ticket.

• Like 7

these are nimals that are commercially bred like the Hancock collie xs ,but these are a good money turner.and breed very true ta phenotype,what's the price around three fifty would not surprise me wouldn't have one fa a gift maybe ok ta breed a f1 type  Lurcher from where's he got them posted at  Leicester game fair.atb bill

2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Great cross for runming the moors 

Two of the best all rounders I ever saw running were deerhound  lurchers bred in Gateshead in the very late 1980's?Litter brothers bought by two lads I used to work with,saw the dogs running on rabbit,hare,fox,couple of different species of deer,seen them working from Caithness and Sutherland down to Hampshire,big hauls of fox in London itself,running them several times a week in parks and rough ground in docklands,big powerfull jaws on them,very adaptable.

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, billhardy said:

these are nimals that are commercially bred like the Hancock collie xs ,but these are a good money turner.and breed very true ta phenotype,what's the price around three fifty would not surprise me wouldn't have one fa a gift maybe ok ta breed a f1 type  Lurcher from where's he got them posted at  Leicester game fair.atb bill

Commercially bred?????? What like a coursing greyhound, working Bedlington or a weatherproof Patterdale. Obviously they are ‘commercially’ bred. That’s the point. 

It’s really odd that he goes as far as advertising the fact he is selling puppies and people on here go a-ha that Dave Platt is a breeder – as if they have uncovered some global conspiracy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, mackem said:

Two of the best all rounders I ever saw running were deerhound  lurchers bred in Gateshead in the very late 1980's?Litter brothers bought by two lads I used to work with,saw the dogs running on rabbit,hare,fox,couple of different species of deer,seen them working from Caithness and Sutherland down to Hampshire,big hauls of fox in London itself,running them several times a week in parks and rough ground in docklands,big powerfull jaws on them,very adaptable.

Were these two dogs called Shep and Breck ? ;)

Edited by MickC
  • Thanks 1