dave platts' saracen

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

On here. I looked for ages for a members' section too. No members' section is a loss. You still have the facility to individually message a member of course. You can do this by going to your messages icon...an envelope. The  I get time later I'll try and find a picture of Ky99le's stag and post it in this thread.

Sorry Skycat and Marvel, I can't find that post by Ky99le.

I remember asking ky99le at the time if anybody had asked if they could use the dog at stud  and was surprised when he said nobody had. I'm looking for a deerhoundy lurcher pup of good breeding in the new year. Let me know if you hear of anything. Thanks.

I wouldn’t have a platt or Copland deerhound given as they are both peddlers if I was you skycat I would be asking jigsaw to point you into the direction of where that 1stx was bred from.there isn’t many people with good deerhoundxs about but my mate has just bought a beardy/colliexgrey to a 1stx deerhound/greyhound from down Suffolk way and is over the moon with it.both parents are doing everything and the lad showed him some good pics of the stuff they’ve had.

• Like 4
On 23/11/2017 at 17:33, skycat said:

No. I lost the last of my rough coated line this year. Should have bred from Sparrow, but never did. Now I have only the two Airedale lurchers, and they're 7 1/2 years old now.  I might have been tempted to breed from Schuck, but it's getting so hard to find good homes for pups these days.

I'm looking for a traditional type of lurcher: Deer/Grey Collie/Grey type: it will be the last pup I rear, so wanted to end my days with a similar type to the lurchers I had for so long.  Something that's easy to live with, but from sound stock; just for a bit of mooching and lamping.

Tomo: thanks. I'll have a look.

Ive been looking for nearly 2 years for a decent bitch or whelp of that type Penny and ive found zilch worth feeding,its an absolute travesty that such an honest breeding as been allowed to slide because the folk suited to that cross are growing old and leaving the game,the vast,vast,vast majority of newcomers would,nt know how to enter or educate such a cross.The biggest travesty is that my lad is going to put his over a Wheaten bred lurcher because the two of us cannot source anything better.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, morton said:

Ive been looking for nearly 2 years for a decent bitch or whelp of that type Penny and ive found zilch worth feeding,its an absolute travesty that such an honest breeding as been allowed to slide because the folk suited to that cross are growing old and leaving the game,the vast,vast,vast majority of newcomers would,nt know how to enter or educate such a cross.The biggest travesty is that my lad is going to put his over a Wheaten bred lurcher because the two of us cannot source anything better.

Morton i like you and I genuinely hope you find something but you dont half talk some rubbish. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, C.green said:

Morton i like you and I genuinely hope you find something but you dont half talk some rubbish. 

Ones truth is anothers trash.Once you have grown accustomed to dining at the top table you lose your appetite in the wings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
29 minutes ago, morton said:

Ones truth is anothers trash.Once you have grown accustomed to dining at the top table you lose your appetite in the wings.

So none of your own breeding have made the grade enough to breed back too ? The collie/deerhound types.

• Like 2
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:12, skycat said:

Does anyone on here know anything about Dave Platts' dog Saracen? It looks more Greyhound than Deerhound in a photo I've seen: what percentage Deerhound in it? Does the dog work? Is it any good? Any information would be welcome.

A lot of nonsense is talked on here about Dave Platt and his dogs.

He is a genuinely interesting character, and he’s really honest about what he is trying to do - which is to produce what he somewhat eccentrically refers to as an ‘English’ deerhound.  His dogs pretty much look the same and have similar temperaments. Essentially smaller more robust deerhound type dogs. Have spoken to a fair few people who own a dog with a ‘Platt’ in it and they all say the same thing - they are incredibly slow to develop but when they do they are big biddable dogs that are really happy to work but aren’t obsessive killing machines. Am sure this puts a lot of people off both Dave and his dogs.

Obviously people will have different opinions on dogs and those that bred them, and that’s fair enough, but without obsessives like Dave there isn't really a future.    

• Like 4