• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was gifted a Saluki in saudi, and when it died, the guy sent me a Doberman as a replacement. Not a breed I would otherwise have had, but it would have been churlish and disrespectful to have re

Had one years ago it was mental..... It was like having Mr blobby in the house clumsiest thing I've ever seen

That's ideal for most isn't it?   last thing you want is some courier dropping a package down the side of the house or a kid who's climbed your fence after a football getting badly injured,or worse.

Posted Images

Why not just get a Lurcher? Best of both worlds.

Thats true I had a hand full of builders that wouldn't go near the gate the other day until the wife said it was ok. He has a dam deep menacing bark and the looks to match. Not an attribute I wanted but the house and family are safe with him in it

• Like 1

Ever thought of a batshit crazy collie from a batshit crazy isolated farmer in either wales or Cumbria?

The only dogs I've ever seen try to eat tyres that we're still attached to a moving car at around 20mph!

I wouldn't get out the van until it was tied up!

Matt

My Chihuahua used to do that - the feckin idiot jumped at a bus with her teeth out once while we were waiting to cross over - thank feck for the short lead :rolleyes:

....... She's a great watch dog but, she'd be a shit guard dog.

The shop on the estate where I grew up was run by an old Sikh - he had 2 dobermans. He could command them to sit either side of him, then he'd tell them both to smile - we thought it was great when we were kids.

They'd lay on the floor in his shop and do exactly as they were told.

Those dogs tore up a couple of junkies that broke into his house and attacked him and his missus one night.

The memory of those has stuck with me ever since. I'd love 2 dobermans that formidable and well behaved.

If I ever need a guard dog I'd like to try a central asian shepard as seen loads of them in hungary and they are the most intimidating dog I've ever seen by far! They are soft as shit when they know you but dont miss a trick and can summon the rage of the devil in an instant lol

On malis and other purpose bred guard/attack dog's I wouldn't have one unless you have a lot of time on your hands to walk it! There is a guy on YouTube who has a Mali and he says he has only seem him asleep a handful of times in 5 yrs and that puts me off them straight away tbh, a dog that cant/won't switch off would just get annoying as f**k eventually imo

I had never heard of a central asian but just googled em and they are biiiig dogs.

• Like 1

Honestly I can't imagine a worse breed than a Mali or Dutch for this kind of home/job. Those dogs need a real job and a dedicated owner they'd go mad and end up a real liability in your average pet home.

I wouldn't get a Doberman either though :laugh: your chances of getting a healthy stable animal just seem so low I wouldn't take the risk personally. Like others have said a Staff would fit the bill perfectly IMO, cracking family dogs and if raised right they can make great wee guards too.

Or if you want something more the size of a Doberman what about a Ridgeback?

Edited by BGD
  • Like 1

Any body remember the old film about pack a doberman robbing banks hahahaha I loved that as a kid. That's if it wasn't a dream as iv mentioned it to few folks who thought I was mental haha

cracking film, ,,,, where they put nails through collar so no one can grab the dog round neck lol ,,,

Honestly I can't imagine a worse breed than a Mali or Dutch for this kind of home/job. Those dogs need a real job and a dedicated owner they'd go mad and end up a real liability in your average pet home.

I wouldn't get a Doberman either though :laugh: your chances of getting a healthy stable animal just seem so low I wouldn't take the risk personally. Like others have said a Staff would fit the bill perfectly IMO, cracking family dogs and if raised right they can make great wee guards too.

Or if you want something more the size of a Doberman what about a Ridgeback?

i just had alook on pet4homes at the staffies.poor imitation of the one i used to see about in the 80's.just fat barrels and they don't even look that intimidating.

i don't see many athletic one about much which is a shame because they were iconic english breed.

• Like 1

My uncle had a Pyrenean in the late 70s lovely dog barked every time we visited ,size would put your casual burglar off

His parents had a Keeshond and after a chow on their small holding both good watch dogs though I think the chow might have bitten if given the opportunity.

If I wanted a dog to guard then I would be thinking of a rotty or Akita or gsd x collie

If I wanted a watchdog then a Lhasa apso or jack Russell would do me

No need to pay thousands for a guard there's loads of breeds that can do the job at a reasonable price, hell you'd be just as well with a mongrel.

yeh deff 100% right ive said on here before back in 90s a farm had big black male gsd x collie this thing would rip you to pieces if it was loose, it was loosed at night on the yard 80 odd lb of teeth coming at you that would deff have you :yes: , plenty like that about round farms, scrap yards , just ask and you could get pup in time once you make the effort :thumbs:

• Like 1