Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FUJI

Yes Or No?

Recommended Posts

Comparing red deer and wild boar. Only on THL. Lol

Imho it makes for more interesting conversation than "what do you reckon on a greyhound cross Burmese mountain dog?"

 

But hey, it's probably all nonsense to big time chaps so not being one of them, I'm out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Comparing red deer and wild boar. Only on THL. Lol

all this talk of Red stags and now wild boar and not one mention of the formidable Bedlington whippet cross (as yet) :victory: when the books finally released I reckon this be the game beast stood over the single handed felled monster :hmm:

Share this post


Link to post

The biggest boar I have handled would have been about 80kg /150 pound, it had huge tusks but was not very strong or explosive. To be honest my dog handled it with ease. My dog hit a boar one day around 100kg/ 200 pound plus that went off like a bomb, we had three other dogs there, one did not engage at all, the other two went in after him and I am glad they did as he was being ragdolled! There was little to no chance to go in and help as he literally had no control of this beast other than to hang off it's ear which stopped it running away. The other two dogs gassed and jacked after a while but thankfully the boar started to tire too and we got a handle on him and stuck him. My dog nearly bled out from a rip on his back leg which cut an artery and if he didn't have his chest plate he would have been dead and the boar would have run off into the night. The punctures and strikes on the chest plate were quite alarming and made me realise what a dangerous quarry a big angry boar can be. My dog survived after emergency surgery and alot of $$$ but I could not have been prouder of him. He has hit dozens of sows and small boars and handled them with ease but a big angry boar, which you don't come across very often is really like another species altogether.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Seen wild boar stop by one dog one it's own not a very big dog either but a very decent size boar ! Thing with boar is getting your hands on and controlling it ! Seen a red stag in Sussex this season dwarfed the 3 fallow bucks it was with it didn't even run if a single dog can take that I'd be very very surprised

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was chatting to a lad I have known for years the other night and the conversation turned to reds ( or pre ban reds as it was ) . He had a few tales .

 First he was sat in cover next to a hedge with his bitch 3/4 grey 1/4 bull as his mates were drawing a marsh with beagles to flush foxes through . He said he heard something big coming along the hedge line behind him and he thought it was going to be a moorland pony , a red hind launched itself off  the wall next to him straight out into the open ground in front of him . He slipped the bitch and within about 100 yards the dog had the hind down and pinned by the throat , he was on hand in no time to dispatch it .

Second time , out with his bitch again and 2 pups about a year old each , drawing a bit of rough ground a red stag got out from behind a couple of trees , not a massive stag but still a stag , said the bitch was on it in no time . right up on the back of its neck , the pups flanked it one each side and he said it pulled down and was over and done with in under a minute .

The third, another stag , he said was a monster in some maize ground , slipped his bitch and a mates 1/2 cross on it , he said it took off and straight lined the dogs for speed but as it went to jump out of the field it hit the top of the hedge and fell back in to the field , he said it got up and the dogs pilled in one on a shoulder one on the rear leg , the stag kicked out and the leg dog was swatted away like a fly . With that the stag ran right at the lads with the one dog still holding on , they dived for cover , the shoulder dog lost its grip and the stag shot past over a hedge and into the forestry . He reckoned it was as intimidating as having a bull charging towards you and the noise was unreal .

Edited by runner neil
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have done them befor and I tell ye one thing it's some sight to see a dog on one then to run around with 2 or 3 very heavy dog locked on the him like there were nothing makes you think I got a 12 point stag in the rut and trust me it put the shits up me for a moment or two no one dog on this earth could pull one single handed the only reason we stopped him is because he was in between 2 dry stone walls and the dogs that we had were pull fallow buck and sika stags single handed week in week out and he had broke his back leg trying to jump a wall the could have easy killed one of us or the dogs if he had chance 

Edited by CA$H 91

Share this post


Link to post
On 07/02/2020 at 12:46, CA$H 91 said:

I have done them befor and I tell ye one thing it's some sight to see a dog on one then to run around with 2 or 3 very heavy dog locked on the him like there were nothing makes you think I got a 12 point stag in the rut and trust me it put the shits up me for a moment or two no one dog on this earth could pull one single handed the only reason we stopped him is because he was in between 2 dry stone walls and the dogs that we had were pull fallow buck and sika stags single handed week in week out and he had broke his back leg trying to jump a wall the could have easy killed one of us or the dogs if he had chance 

I've read of a saying from medieval times that I forget the actual wording but it went something like this "The boar will put you in hospital but the stag will put you in the grave".

Primal... :good:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/02/2020 at 12:27, runner neil said:

I was chatting to a lad I have known for years the other night and the conversation turned to reds ( or pre ban reds as it was ) . He had a few tales .

 First he was sat in cover next to a hedge with his bitch 3/4 grey 1/4 bull as his mates were drawing a marsh with beagles to flush foxes through . He said he heard something big coming along the hedge line behind him and he thought it was going to be a moorland pony , a red hind launched itself off  the wall next to him straight out into the open ground in front of him . He slipped the bitch and within about 100 yards the dog had the hind down and pinned by the throat , he was on hand in no time to dispatch it .

Second time , out with his bitch again and 2 pups about a year old each , drawing a bit of rough ground a red stag got out from behind a couple of trees , not a massive stag but still a stag , said the bitch was on it in no time . right up on the back of its neck , the pups flanked it one each side and he said it pulled down and was over and done with in under a minute .

The third, another stag , he said was a monster in some maize ground , slipped his bitch and a mates 1/2 cross on it , he said it took off and straight lined the dogs for speed but as it went to jump out of the field it hit the top of the hedge and fell back in to the field , he said it got up and the dogs pilled in one on a shoulder one on the rear leg , the stag kicked out and the leg dog was swatted away like a fly . With that the stag ran right at the lads with the one dog still holding on , they dived for cover , the shoulder dog lost its grip and the stag shot past over a hedge and into the forestry . He reckoned it was as intimidating as having a bull charging towards you and the noise was unreal .

There was a guy on another fourm who said his dog could take red hind single , everyone doubted , he had  acouple members of that fourm up and his dog did it in front them , was pics prove it and the other lads there to witness it , 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

There was a guy on another fourm who said his dog could take red hind single , everyone doubted , he had  acouple members of that fourm up and his dog did it in front them , was pics prove it and the other lads there to witness it , 

I dont think the hinds would be to much trouble as long as the dog could get on terms with them , the way he was talking he had had a few with the bitch . Some of the lowland stags I have seen though are monsters .

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, runner neil said:

I dont think the hinds would be to much trouble as long as the dog could get on terms with them , the way he was talking he had had a few with the bitch . Some of the lowland stags I have seen though are monsters .

I’ve seen a stag pretty close and they make a 28” bull cross look like a beddy whippet 😂 no chance id slip on stag not worth losing a dog over , not when you could just run them over in 4x4 😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post

Chased by one years ago, I thought I had it, on my own as well. These animals don't mess about when their blood is up. These things can go up 450lb plus, with trashing hooves and antlers.

Atb j 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

I’ve seen a stag pretty close and they make a 28” bull cross look like a beddy whippet 😂 no chance id slip on stag not worth losing a dog over , not when you could just run them over in 4x4 😂

Definately not worth losing a good dog over and I know you're joking about the 4x4 but if you did try it your 4x4 would be looking a bit sad after. I've seen the scars on someone who was gored by a red stag and IMO is lucky to be alive.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Definately not worth losing a good dog over and I know you're joking about the 4x4 but if you did try it your 4x4 would be looking a bit sad after. I've seen the scars on someone who was gored by a red stag and IMO is lucky to be alive.

Is it madclemming bill, and that's why he aint been on, still in recovery? 😐

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Is it madclemming bill, and that's why he aint been on, still in recovery? 😐

Bill' hollows um out and kips in them the no match for the clemmin 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...