High And Low Points Of The Season

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Low point this season was without doubt loosing my good bitch after a sticky dig that went on a lot longer than it should have,but that's a another story,she put in an 8 hour shift but it took its tol

Had some very enjoyable days in good company with the usual suspects. But the high for me would be two five foot digs one immediately after the other (one of which proved awkward), with my 11 year old

I can't believe what I'm reading. Most of us have land we hunt that we fought hard for. I wouldn't be happy to see lads on it. But it's not my land so apart from tell land owner or farmer he had unwan

Posted Images

Whats the main reason you'd give for giving up cos I know it ain't the dogs.

There's a million and one reasons , its not always black and white. From educated stuff that knows the craic to tiny vixens that will squeeze 20ft up a rabbit tube to get away from a dog. If you are saying you get everything, every time. Then you're the first terrier man Ive known to say it.
Educated stuff requires the right dog ,I have that covered and like I said earlier I'm not averse to digging in front the dog if she's keen .20ft on as an example is a bit Ott but granted could happen .Again I'd dig on .

Here in Wiltshire we arnt blessed with many rabbits so generally if a place is kicked out ,there's larger stuff afoot .I know its different in other parts the country as I've been there but I wouldn't use my dogs by choice in a rabbity spot .

I can honestly remember only one other time when we gave it best in green sand,managing to grab the dog as it dug through a wall of backfill .As said I hate losing and hate the dogs to lose more ,combine those two and its a powerful driver.

• Like 1

You are blessed to have such digging mate . Up around where I usually hunt the earths range from big ancient dungeons to tight stony and rooty places and also plenty of red sand too in places. I'm not saying it's a all doom and gloom, but to never miss? I've honestly not heard of it before.

• Like 2

Foxdropper, I think you posted before that you don't or never used a bar(apologies if I'm wrong), but to me this is one of the times it becomes useful, I had a dog in a very tight place this season who just could not get to its quarry but instead of trenching on or digging random holes to try a relocate, I was able to probe along with the bar and accurately follow the tube, granted if the den had of been anymore than 4ft deep I wound not, but thankfully it wasn't.

• Like 3

Whats the main reason you'd give for giving up cos I know it ain't the dogs.

There's a million and one reasons , its not always black and white. From educated stuff that knows the craic to tiny vixens that will squeeze 20ft up a rabbit tube to get away from a dog. If you are saying you get everything, every time. Then you're the first terrier man Ive known to say it.
Educated stuff requires the right dog ,I have that covered and like I said earlier I'm not averse to digging in front the dog if she's keen .20ft on as an example is a bit Ott but granted could happen .Again I'd dig on .

Here in Wiltshire we arnt blessed with many rabbits so generally if a place is kicked out ,there's larger stuff afoot .I know its different in other parts the country as I've been there but I wouldn't use my dogs by choice in a rabbity spot .

I can honestly remember only one other time when we gave it best in green sand,managing to grab the dog as it dug through a wall of backfill .As said I hate losing and hate the dogs to lose more ,combine those two and its a powerful driver.

Iv done some digging down your way this season mate ! If Iv got right part of the country !
  • Like 1

I've always thought that dogs learn to work animals a certain way in the earths they are regularly worked in,I've seen dogs which are doing well in say stony tight earths travel down to me,and put in to our sand earths where the dogs got to be at the animal from the start and not give a inch look disappointing some lads say it's the journey that's upset the dog but it's the style the dog tryed to work.

My low points is it hasn't been a good season with a lot of earths not holding and a young bitch not quite up to it and loosing a dog while out with a pal. Also letting a lad who was starting out come out with us and gifting him a dog or two. Only for it to go to his head and think he been at it years and his attitude to it all not right and disrespectful to men and dogs. High points was enjoying My terrier work whether I got the result at the end of the day with good lads. And also f***ing that lad of. Ha. Enjoy your terrier work guys. Atb

• Like 3

Low point was doubting a clever and bright young dogs commitment in dungeon of a place.

High point was two weeks later the same dog proving me a c**t by showing plenty commitment then and for the rest of the season .

Yep, been there ,done that.

Always trust them no matter what.

Until you know 100 % that they are untrustworthy and then it's Slan.

• Like 2

Low point was doubting a clever and bright young dogs commitment in dungeon of a place.

High point was two weeks later the same dog proving me a c**t by showing plenty commitment then and for the rest of the season .

I take it you mean your youngest how many digs you had on him now

a few now it's he's second season so no excuses . I tested him as best I could . Like I said I thought I had him sused but he proved me wrong .

I'm very happy with him ?

a few now it's he's second season so no excuses . I tested him as best I could . Like I said I thought I had him sused but he proved me wrong .

cant beat thl for a cock measuring comp

cant beat thl for a cock measuring comp

lol how's this a cock measuring comp ? ?

Just saying I'm pleased with the dog because he didn't Jack !

• Like 1

High points getting bitch pup going this season and not blanking at all low points finally realising the younger generation of terrer lads will be the death of this sport with the way alot of them conduct themselves out in the field then showing it all on social media disgraceful

• Like 6