• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine said, Jo Joyce.

my surname is welsh, but it shouldnt really be my surname. let me explain. my grandfather was a sailor, (and there are a lot of stories about him, i would love to have met him). anyway, whilst he was

My surname hasnt been researched typical lol

Mine ...Its popularity throughout Europe first as a baptismal name and then later as a surname dates from the 11th century when Crusaders, otherwise known as the "Knights Templar", returning from one of their many expeditions to the Holy Land, gave it to their sons in commemoration of the fathers attempt to free Palestine from the Muslims.

Lol

my surname is welsh, but it shouldnt really be my surname. let me explain. my grandfather was a sailor, (and there are a lot of stories about him, i would love to have met him). anyway, whilst he was on active service overseas ( there is some dispute where) he got in a fight with one of the ships officers and killed him with his barehands. he ran away to avoid being hung, made his way back to england and went into hiding. when he had to join up at theb start of WW1 he changed his name to our present family name. his original surname was Gwynell or Gwinnell, which is apparently from anglo saxon/old english, 7th century

• Like 3

Viking & Celtic origins but all Scottish through history. My great grandfather was a Scot.

My mum was a Jones and her family in history heralds from Wales, her great aunts and family were all Welsh.

So almost all Celt for me, with a drop (though i doubt) of Viking...

But ya know what... First and formost I'm Scouse, born in the city centre and couldn't be more proud of that. ;)