Brindle Terriers

Hello THL readers. I've been dipping in and out of THL for a couple of years now ever since being forced to admit defeat on my stance that I can get by without a computer. I now admit that I need one for my work but at least they give me one for free. And signing into reading stuff on THL exemplifies the good and the bad of the on line experience. The bad being people with opinions but not necessarily knowledge together with nastiness. The good being input from a range of people who may have knowledge or intelligent opinion that would not of been able to access in such numbers until the invention of this media. I've had working terriers since I was a kid but there have been gaps when it was not possible and things have changed in the world of terriers. My question...what happened to brindle coloured working terriers ?

I've read the topics on Patterdales. Most seem to agree that bull ( Staff ) blood is present but I don't see brindle anywhere. The white dogs, Russells ( ?), the Irish lads seem proud of the EBT influence but no brindle? There were dogs when I was a kid, 40 year ago in the Tyne and Wear/Durham area known as border/lakelands. Most of these were what would now be called fell/Lskeland terriers. There were quite a few that wouldn't fit that title though because they had brindle colour. Rough coats, strong heads, game, too game for the modern way of doing things I suppose but small and threw their type. Not bull crosses but I think that's where the brindle came from way back. Some of them were tiny, 12" about 15 1/b. Have they gone the way of the Dodo ?

I was just wondering if anyone still has these sorts. Not crossbreds where the brindle can be easily attributed to but a stain or family. I know brindle dogs or Russells with brindle markings don't win shows anymore. Is that why they don't exist now...or do they ?

Kind Regards

Eastcoast

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surely only one reason to keep a pretty one too?

This is Nuttal on sires side............kind of brindle  I've been asked if he's all sorts, from acd to dutch herder pup haha....   The ears came at 12 weeks.....

If someone puts two Black Terriers together and get a Wolf let me know please........that would be some 'throwback'...lol. I can go back over 35 years on a particular 'Family' of APBT and I KNOW they

Posted Images

I reckon most brindle coloured or terriers with brindle in there colouring have bull blood influence in there make up but in saying that i have seen and dug to a little brindle coloured bitch that was patterdale bred from what i was told by the man that owned her.

• Like 2

Only seen one or two over the years and i saw them as outcrosses, either to a bull terrier or mutt. And all of them were a little bigger and cobbier to prove this.

What i class as a fell terrier or border/lakie was never brindle. Though in Plummers Fell Terrier, Ralph Hodgeson is pictured with a brindle fell type.

I had one born out of two of my old black dogs(about 10 yr ago)-unfortunately it was still born.a good lad off here sent me a picture of one of his,maybe he will put a pic up?they work no different to a black/chocolate. Atb dc

• Like 1

I reckon most brindle coloured or terriers with brindle in there colouring have bull blood influence in there make up but in saying that i have seen and dug to a little brindle coloured bitch that was patterdale bred from what i was told by the man that owned her.

DD's Tiger?

There were two Russell's, a dog and a bitch from different litters but they both came from the same kennels. Both worked well, the dog was a little rough and in the end it was his undoing and the bitch was also killed to ground but I can't remember if she was as hard as the dog.

Both came from the David Davies kennels.

Im not knocking them one bit workwise as i havnt seen one work

But i hate the look of them

My old man told me as a kid that brindle dogs had more fire in them...un true I know...but its always stayed with me and brindles always catch my eye...only ever owned one brindle dog myself...a Stafford...you used to see a lot of brindles back in the 80's...not so many now

Bloke near me just bought a brindle bitch from Nuttal

This is Nuttal on sires side............kind of brindle

I've been asked if he's all sorts, from acd to dutch herder pup haha....post-89484-0-60958500-1459082666_thumb.jpg

post-89484-0-40983700-1459082709_thumb.jpg

The ears came at 12 weeks.....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 6