Brindle Terriers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surely only one reason to keep a pretty one too?

This is Nuttal on sires side............kind of brindle  I've been asked if he's all sorts, from acd to dutch herder pup haha....   The ears came at 12 weeks.....

If someone puts two Black Terriers together and get a Wolf let me know please........that would be some 'throwback'...lol. I can go back over 35 years on a particular 'Family' of APBT and I KNOW they

Posted Images

Thank you for the interesting replies chaps. Accip74, that's one interesting looking animal. The ugliest looking thing this side of an African Hunting Dog :-) But if he does a job then I'm sure he's worth his weight in gold. I use the term " ugly " in the context that he is beautiful compared to the GSD that got placed at Crufts this year ! But I suspect he wont be the one commanding the £1000 stud fees. More fool them.

I wrote this topic after thinking why brindle is by no means a common colour amongst working terriers given that bull blood is probably present in most, even though it may be way, way back. Is just fashion and brindle pups were culled or is it a less dominant gene than black/red etc ? By the same token I've never seen a black and tan Stafford even though they used to exist.

The brindle terriers that I used to know were a very in dark colour and had really dense rough coats. It was only when they were shaved that the brindle colour became apparent. None stripping coats maybe from Bedlington blood ? I like to think that they were a primitive type of working terrier indigenous to the north of England that is now lost to us but they were probably just a fluke small stamp from recent bull outcross at the time. They weren't even good at their work. The fault of the owners not the dogs. At the time it was badger far more than fox that was dug and the little brindles did not have the correct method of working in their attitude to that work and suffered as a result. Things were different then and some terrier lads were not of the quality that seems to prevail today regarding respect for the animal hunted and importantly the brave dogs that we are privileged to own.

Regards

Eastcoast

• Like 3

They are still about. I have a brindle bitch bred out of white cork dogs and bull crosses. Wouldn't be a pretty type, but a terrier that keeps me happy. Have a white daughter off her with brindle patches which is coming a nice bully type terrier.

Another man on here has broken coated brindle types bred off Red Fell X Patterdales/Bull.

So looks like there are still about.

Don't see many of the box headed broken coated black & tan or red Fell types either these days. Not were I live anyway.

• Like 1

I reckon most brindle coloured or terriers with brindle in there colouring have bull blood influence in there make up but in saying that i have seen and dug to a little brindle coloured bitch that was patterdale bred from what i was told by the man that owned her.

DD's Tiger?

Yes Smasher that was her,good little digging bitch.

I reckon most brindle coloured or terriers with brindle in there colouring have bull blood influence in there make up but in saying that i have seen and dug to a little brindle coloured bitch that was patterdale bred from what i was told by the man that owned her.

DD's Tiger?

Yes Smasher that was her,good little digging bitch.
She was out of a red fell bitch fatman and a black dog
  • Like 1