Fishing Injuries

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a hole in me sack when i was a kid climbing the railings on the wall i remeber waiting on the ambulance my da trying to give me a drink and i was afraid to drink it incase it leaked out

Lost an obvious 3 pound Perch at the net. Broke my heart.

I've injured my pride a time or two

Posted Images

Couple years ago I was winter coding from my boat in a fair swell, was unhooking a reasonable cod (about 12lber) on deck when it flapped and the second hook (an 8/0) of my Pennel rig went up under my finger nail, that frigin hurt some I don't mind admitting, got some pics somewhere, will see if I can find one cos it was visible right under the nail !

Another one I had, unhooking some mackerel (tope bait) had a full string and grabbed them wrong as they shook, hook in one side of me finger and could just make the point out under the skin the other side, had to push it through, snip off the barb and pull it back out, oddly enough that one didn't really hurt

• Like 1

Without much thought walked across a fallen tree about 10ft above the river earn scotland it give way fell onto some rocks in shallow water broke my right foot and my nose very painful.

• Like 1

Not a injury but would of been certain death. I was fishing Holyhead Breakwater about 18 years ago on a bit of a rough night. After losing all the weights we had, and the water dropping from high to low some rocks became exposed and are brand new shiney 6oz weights visible all over these rocks. I said to the lads I am getting down to grab them so we can all carry on fishing. When I thought tide was low and rocks more exposed I said I am getting down now. One of my mates who is still a good mate now, was sayng just leave them and we will get off it's to dangerous, so we where discussing this for about 10 mins and the next think you know the whole of the rocks where covered in water. That day opened my eyes and eyes to some of the dangers of the sea can throw at us. What had happed was the new at the time catamaran had left port and I think it's called the wake is what caused the rocks to be covered. That day I would of been brown bread only for listening to a bit of sense.

• Like 4

When I was a young (very daft) teenager i was fishing on the river Aire in kirkstall, with a small toby lure at the bottom of a wier. A bit overly keen to get my lure right into a good looking spot, I walked carefully down the wier at the edge and along the water at the bottom and side of the wier that was literally inches deep. While casting and looking out I slowly and carefully walked out then all of a sudden stepped of a underwater ledge that dropped vertically (hidden in flat calm water that looked safe). I put my hands out to grab the top of the ledge and my left hand went onto god knows what. The top outer part of my thumb knuckle was sliced to the bone 3/4 of the way round (the joint was visible) and also up the inside and along the tip of my thumb, then another at the top near my wrist. After a trip to LGI and stitches it just shows how dangerous rivers can be!
Bit embarrassing to mention this now but I was young and wouldn't do anything like this now!

Here the scar....

40497C10-6AF4-4078-B87F-E927DCA7FF68_zps

goes round back of my thumb too sorry pic crap! No feeling in most of it now.

• Like 1

Me and a mate where fishing a trout fishery that was bait fishing only, this day there was no one else fishing so we asked if we could fly fish it instead to which the owner agreed as long as we used barbless hooks. Mate hooked himself in the head about an hour in to the session with a barbed fly and spent the day hiding from the owner. Made him fish on until end of session before going to a&e.

His photo is on the wall in the fishery to the day with a brace of trout and a black fly stuck in his head

Edited by Parabuteos lad
  • Like 3

I was about 30ft up a tree on hampool in cerney, watching a group of carp and deciding were to lay my traps, when the branch snapped and on my way crashing down through the branch I snagged my leg on another branch that went into my thigh just above my knee and stopped just below my waist, I then hit the deck, seven days and two ops later I arrived back home, I'd only gone out for a short evening stalking

• Like 2

Me and a few mates were carp fishing on Sefton park lake years ago.One of my mates said he couldn't find his boilie needle and went and sat down on his chair.The next minute we heard a big scream coz he had sat down and the needle,which was on his chair went right into his left bollock.We couldn't help him for laughing.Embarrasing trip to the ozzy to get it removed for him

• Like 1

Fisher the. Lynher this winter, mate got snagged in close. Pulled the rod up and next thing hes hit square in the chest with a 6oz gripper. Hit him with enough force to put him on his ass so lucky it never hit his head really

Gripper could of gone through his chest to mate.