Bear Grylls

I listened to a talk once given by Les Stroud, a true survivalist, who does all his own filming, no camera crew to help out if things go tits up, somebody asked him who he thought was the best, Bear Grylls or Ray Mears ? Les replied that if he was in a situation with them that he would eat Bear first because he would stand a chance of surviving with Ray Mears.

In a survival situation you would not do most of the things Bear Grylls does as most of the stunts would put you in deeper shit.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He past selection for the SAS TA's he has climbed Everest a few times completed French foreign legion training so obviously the man is fit and mentally strong ... But his programmes are so hyped up an

Used to watch Australian program bushtucker man he traveled the outback learning off the abbos ,he worked for the australian army and he was finding out how the army could survive on their natural lor

Can't stand the bloke

And as he's made more and more money he's been able to stay in better and better hotels :icon_eek:

Joke by the way,don't watch his stuff so can't comment,as my wife tells me when I'm crabbing all this reality TV or adverts,you'd do it for the money they get...

My lad is a scout and Bear is the chief scout (head of) he does a load for the kids he even came out to meet my lad and his fellow scouts when he was at a scout camp. His programs are great to watch.

Say what you will about him but he climbed Everest at 20 and joined the TA SAS which I understand even though it's the TA isn't a piece of piss to get in. All of which I've not done so hats off to him

Also if Ray Mears is such a survival expert why is he such a lard a**e?

Just saying.

• Like 4

Used to watch Australian program bushtucker man he traveled the outback learning off the abbos ,he worked for the australian army and he was finding out how the army could survive on their natural lora n fauna if the country was invaded,really good programs ,

Les hiddin if you look I think there's vids on YouTube.

he used to follow the tracks of the early ill fated explorers and find bush tucker and water and show what they could of done to survive. it was a genuine educational show.

• Like 1

The thing is, his programs aren't supposed to be instruction classes. They are entertainment. I don't watch so many these days as eating one goat's testicle is pretty much the same as eating another.

If someone seriously wanted to learn about bushcraft/survival, you'd learn it elsewhere. For the rest of us it's not a serious take on how to survive because I doubt most of us can skydive, ski on planks of wood or climb mountains, so we'd be f****d however many bugs we ate.

As BH said, it's his brand and that brand has taken him from needing sponsors to buy ropes to climb Everest to being a multi-millionaire.

Serious explorer or fair-to middling millionaire? I know what I'd take. :thumbs:

As above and a few other comments.

His programs are entertainment, he has created a brand and I suspect many on this forum would have been more than happy to do the same!

:thumbs:

running about like tarzan sucking camels shit an drinking a pint of piss when he 24 hours to get from A to B it gets a bit boring

yer the first couple of times ya watch it its ok, then its just the same shit different day. good on him though for making a dollar from it.

• Like 1

Ranaulf Finnes is an anti... And gave terrier work a slamming in his book The Sett..!

Ray Mears couldn't survive 10 minutes without needing a pork pie and carving a fecking spoon!

Oh yer, the clobber he puts his name too is extortion in its price..!

Bear Grills is annoying and overbakes for shock value but he does loads for kids through the Scout movement, so he gets my vote.