Bear Grylls

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He past selection for the SAS TA's he has climbed Everest a few times completed French foreign legion training so obviously the man is fit and mentally strong ... But his programmes are so hyped up an

Used to watch Australian program bushtucker man he traveled the outback learning off the abbos ,he worked for the australian army and he was finding out how the army could survive on their natural lor

Can't stand the bloke

Give me ray mears any day . Lost all credibility when he was supposed to be surviving in the wild in one of his old shows and was staying in a b & b when cameras stopped rolling . Also is there any need for him to run everywhere

" I'm going to make my way over to that woodland over there to see what's there "

Off he bolts at 100mph

• Like 4

Having said that, anyone who can pass selection for the SAS (even it was the reserves) must have something about them.

He past selection for the SAS TA's he has climbed Everest a few times completed French foreign legion training so obviously the man is fit and mentally strong ... But his programmes are so hyped up and full of bullshit that they become a joke .......

• Like 7

The man has created a brand, his energetic, bug eating, tree climbing persona is that brand. It's what teenage boys and young townie men want to think survival and adventuring is all about, macho Andy McNab bollocks. It sells and fair play to the bloke imo. Look past all that and he has done some reasonably admirable things that display character way above the Bear Grylls brand persona. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of the fields that he presents himself in, survivalist, adventurer/explorer etc, but he's not some average fanny that is a total fraud either.

• Like 5

The thing is, his programs aren't supposed to be instruction classes. They are entertainment. I don't watch so many these days as eating one goat's testicle is pretty much the same as eating another.

If someone seriously wanted to learn about bushcraft/survival, you'd learn it elsewhere. For the rest of us it's not a serious take on how to survive because I doubt most of us can skydive, ski on planks of wood or climb mountains, so we'd be f****d however many bugs we ate.

As BH said, it's his brand and that brand has taken him from needing sponsors to buy ropes to climb Everest to being a multi-millionaire.

Serious explorer or fair-to middling millionaire? I know what I'd take. :thumbs:

Serious explorer or fair-to middling millionaire? I know what I'd take. :thumbs:

Indeed, as I've said, fair play to the bloke. However, as much as I aspire to the life of a millionaire, I really couldn't imagine a more fulfilling life than that of a true frontiersman/explorer. Socks mentioned Ed Stafford, I'd throw Sir Ranulph Fiennes out there as well. Modern explorers that are simply a level above and will be remembered as such.

The golden age is well behind us for Earth based exploration but still, imagine leading/supporting a lifetime of expeditions to far flung hostile corners of the globe for any manor of scientific, political or commercial reasons! That'd be incredible!

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

The man has created a brand, his energetic, bug eating, tree climbing persona is that brand. It's what teenage boys and young townie men want to think survival and adventuring is all about, macho Andy McNab bollocks. It sells and fair play to the bloke imo. Look past all that and he has done some reasonably admirable things that display character way above the Bear Grylls brand persona. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of the fields that he presents himself in, survivalist, adventurer/explorer etc, but he's not some average fanny that is a total fraud either.

:laugh:

"Reasonably admirable",like maybe he ran a half marathon for charity once.

'On 16 May 1998, Grylls achieved his childhood dream of climbing to the summit of Mount Everest in Nepal, 18 months after breaking three vertebrae in a parachuting accident. At 23, he was at the time among the youngest people to have achieved this feat'

The wording on that part just made me laugh btw,I agree with the gist of the post.

• Like 1

:laugh:

"Reasonably admirable",like maybe he ran a half marathon for charity once.

'On 16 May 1998, Grylls achieved his childhood dream of climbing to the summit of Mount Everest in Nepal, 18 months after breaking three vertebrae in a parachuting accident. At 23, he was at the time among the youngest people to have achieved this feat'

The wording on that part just made me laugh btw,I agree with the gist of the post.

LOL, god forbid I went the whole hog and labelled it as being outright 'admirable'. I'd be shot to bits on here!

• Like 2

Used to watch Australian program bushtucker man he traveled the outback learning off the abbos ,he worked for the australian army and he was finding out how the army could survive on their natural lora n fauna if the country was invaded,really good programs ,

Les hiddin if you look I think there's vids on YouTube.

• Like 6