Never Ceases To Amaze Me

This . The grade does it not differ from person to person surely some have a higher standard than others me personally I'd be happy with a 2 hour dog

Edited to say most places we go to could be dug twice in that time

2 hour? .. Not always that straight forward is it..sometimes we dig a place we haven't dug before.. Personally I'd be gutted to dig for 2 hours and nearly complete the job only for the terrier to walk out on the 2 hour mark..
  • Like 2

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this is why lads with good stock hold it close so it dosent get prostituted and abused

If the decent blood wasn't passed on to idiots the terrier job wouldn't be in the state it's in now. I've tried to give out pups to lads I didn't know but all bar a few times I've regretted it, it's a

That's bollocks unless your in the special clique jog on you won't get a pup ! I have been gifted pups by men that haven't met me before other than a few pms and phone calls . Obviously they done t

Posted Images

This . The grade does it not differ from person to person surely some have a higher standard than others me personally I'd be happy with a 2 hour dog

2 hour? .. Not always that straight forward is it..sometimes we dig a place we haven't dug before.. Personally I'd be gutted to dig for 2 hours and nearly complete the job only for the terrier to walk out on the 2 hour mark..

it would not walk out again,a good terrier should stay till ya reach him no matter how long

• Like 4

Time isnt always the main factor Lee. If it'll walk after 2 hours its a coward one way or another. It's maybe a 2 hour dog on a green uneducated animal thats never seen a dog before, but if it comes up against something that will give it a fight back or a fox in a good spot it'll appear with its white flag in less time i would say.

• Like 1

My mate bred a litter over a decade ago and gifted us the pups as always, mine was a belter bitch pup "Penny" that after 3 years of hard graft she unfortunately died doing the job she loved. He gave her full sister to a lad that was doing a bit with us back then but he then parted company not long after. Few years down the line he contacted the lad to see how the pup he's gave him had turned out. He was told she was no good. A year or so later we were at work when his phone rang and a fella he'd never met or heard of before introduced himself and said he'd a bitch that my friend had bred in the yard. My mate said you must be mistaken until the lad was able to say who he had bought the bitch from and who else had her before him etc. etc. He wasn't a happy chappie to say the least and after that he was even more careful who he gifted pups too, I can't blame him either. The thought of lads passing the sub standard bitch from pillar to post and charging others for her when money wasn't involved to begin with and then his name being brought into the mix didn't impress him and the lad who got her at the beginning was to blame for not doing the right thing. Some men are like that with there stuff and for that reason alone I can't blame them, any spare would be better euthanised than to end up with assholes.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 4

Well Lee if that's your bench mark then that's up to you but just always be honest about it mate, pups shouldn't come from that standard of dog imo, I wouldn't feed one that showed after 2 hours in the ground. For me I like a busy dog that's too busy to even think about showing either when trying to find, on the move behind quarry or when it's in the stop end, good dogs should never want to be out when there's something to ground

Got to Agree their lukey them 2 hour dogs shouldn't be bred from, but I'll bet theirs plenty of people out their who's ground has never had holes deep/ sprawling or difficult enough for it to take 2 hours to reach the dog, yet because the dogs never failed in these earths is bred from. I suppose honesty is the key here and if the owner of such dogs was truthful he'd realise they weren't properly tested. I've heard that working terrier certificates were once issued and they turned out to be a bit of a farce, the best way to truly see the standard of your dogs is with people with no monetary gain on the stock in question and working terriers at the forefront of everything

• Like 4

Can take 2 hours or more for a dog to bottle something up some places, thats before you even start thinking of digging!

• Like 4

In the country I dig alot of places are under 5 foot. And not very hard digging. There is a fair few big range places. 40 + holes but not very deep.

You could get by with some very average terriers to be honest

I think this also true for alot of hunt terriermen before the ban. Alot of hunt terriers are bred off because of the numbers they account for. But a hell of a lot are not worth breeding off.

Edited by Cargol
  • Like 3

Can take 2 hours or more for a dog to bottle something up some places, thats before you even start thinking of digging!

Maybe where you go not where we go not many big places we done about the biggest one this morning took the dog about 45 minutes to bottle it up and at .6 on the bellman job done in under a hour

Got to Agree their lukey them 2 hour dogs shouldn't be bred from, but I'll bet theirs plenty of people out their who's ground has never had holes deep/ sprawling or difficult enough for it to take 2 hours to reach the dog, yet because the dogs never failed in these earths is bred from. I suppose honesty is the key here and if the owner of such dogs was truthful he'd realise they weren't properly tested. I've heard that working terrier certificates were once issued and they turned out to be a bit of a farce, the best way to truly see the standard of your dogs is with people with no monetary gain on the stock in question and working terriers at the forefront of everything

That my friend is exactly what I was getting at some places don't need a super dog like everyone on here has they just need a dog that makes its owner happy

• Like 4

That my friend is exactly what I was getting at some places don't need a super dog like everyone on here has they just need a dog that makes its owner happy

Like I said Lee there are some very average dogs out there. But would you breed off a dog that in your heart you knew has had an easy career. just because he made you happy. Or would you seek more tested stock?

no mate I would not breed from a dog who has cruised through on easy digs but saying that I wouldn't put a dog in a spot I new I would probably need a machine to get it out of either

Like I said Lee there are some very average dogs out there. But would you breed off a dog that in your heart you knew has had an easy career. just because he made you happy. Or would you seek more tested stock?