Yard Dog/guarding Property?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an experience many years ago with some lowlife robbing stuff from back garden went looking for a good collie pup and came across a collie in pup [only used for cattle] farmer reassured me th

Aussie cattle dog,small good around the house,totaly loyal beyond normal and you won't sneek past one and their bite will leave it's mark believe me .

One of these

Posted Images

He'd be much better off with an alarm system. Far cheaper and less hassle in the long term.

Why anyone would want to keep, feed, exercise a dog to look after other dogs i cant fathom.

Never seen angry geese lol id get in a yard with em though just for a laugh. They dont even have teeth do they?

You'd soon get back out! :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: too right. I'd rather face a angry rabid dog than even one goose!

Oooooh the bad memories flooding back now :cray::laugh:

I had an experience many years ago with some lowlife robbing stuff from back garden went looking for a good collie pup and came across a collie in pup [only used for cattle] farmer reassured me this bitch had the heart of a lion and was really good at guarding farm at night -pups were born me and mate got one each -farmer didn't lie lads these 2 pups turned into fantastic guard dogs but also great family pets they just knew when to become guard dogs and when not too -I trained mine [moss] to shake on command and it paid off one day as I took him to work with me [gardener] some tosser thought it was ok to pick up my blower and run with it - moss was told to "get him" and ran after the lad who swung a boot at moss -" shake it" was next command -I still have that blower lads lol

• Like 8

I had an experience many years ago with some lowlife robbing stuff from back garden went looking for a good collie pup and came across a collie in pup [only used for cattle] farmer reassured me this bitch had the heart of a lion and was really good at guarding farm at night -pups were born me and mate got one each -farmer didn't lie lads these 2 pups turned into fantastic guard dogs but also great family pets they just knew when to become guard dogs and when not too -I trained mine [moss] to shake on command and it paid off one day as I took him to work with me [gardener] some tosser thought it was ok to pick up my blower and run with it - moss was told to "get him" and ran after the lad who swung a boot at moss -" shake it" was next command -I still have that blower lads lol

Had a good laugh at that one. If they can retrieve they'd be the perfect all rounder lol.

It can be a bit of six of one and half a dozen of the other. A lot of collies can be very unfriendly but it's often, as somebody above pointed out, because their kept on a chain with nothing to do.

People are wary of my youngest kelpie as he's 22", pricked ears, black and tan and looks decidedly unfriendly...but looks can be deceptive and he's less likely to do you any harm than the gassy little affenpinscher in my neighbours' garden. Sometimes you want a dog which looks the part but other times you want one which makes a lot of noise.

This collie twat of mine has a natural wariness of strangers and I'm fairly sure he'd back it up too, he was worse as a pup and I've discouraged a lot of it out of him. Nobody is getting him out of his pen if I'm not there though and he don't like people near the missus and kids either.

• Like 2

a bel mal there not as big as gsd , but very good guard dog but can be hyper , but gsd a easy dog to live with and great guard dog, they are on the big side but docile until they have to guard . the acd very good guard as well , like the gsd a one man dog so only take the family and that's about it :yes:

I often see Malinois recommended as yard dogs but I don't agree with it TBH, these are serious working dogs that go mental without a real job to do, pacing around in a yard all day just doesn't cut it for them IMO.

Collie or cattle dog would be a good fit, alert as anything, noisy and often quite likely to bite too. If he wants something that looks a bit more intimidating a EBT could do the job? Or what about a Kerry Blue? Knew a few nasty fecker Kerrys that were used as yard dogs back in the day...

My old mam has a wee SBT/JRT thing as a watchdog, he may be little but he's a great alarm dog and if he gets the chance he's not one for letting go once he's got a hold of a scumbag.

Collies will go mental sat about a fenced yard all day and all..
Waiting to go ballistic and nip intruders ;)

Irish terrier , good dog and let you know if anybody about, and that's all they got to do I reckon , you can do the rest your self with a rounder's bat , that's what I got by me bed . :thumbs:

a bel mal there not as big as gsd , but very good guard dog but can be hyper , but gsd a easy dog to live with and great guard dog, they are on the big side but docile until they have to guard . the acd very good guard as well , like the gsd a one man dog so only take the family and that's about it :yes:

I often see Malinois recommended as yard dogs but I don't agree with it TBH, these are serious working dogs that go mental without a real job to do, pacing around in a yard all day just doesn't cut it for them IMO.

Collie or cattle dog would be a good fit, alert as anything, noisy and often quite likely to bite too. If he wants something that looks a bit more intimidating a EBT could do the job? Or what about a Kerry Blue? Knew a few nasty fecker Kerrys that were used as yard dogs back in the day...

My old mam has a wee SBT/JRT thing as a watchdog, he may be little but he's a great alarm dog and if he gets the chance he's not one for letting go once he's got a hold of a scumbag.

Not very good for the long term welfare of the dog though.. :blink:

Not very good for the long term welfare of the dog though.. :blink:
And thats the very reason your better either with an alarm, or improve on the dogs your kenneling...!

He'd be much better off with an alarm system. Far cheaper and less hassle in the long term.

Why anyone would want to keep, feed, exercise a dog to look after other dogs i cant fathom.

Couldnt agree more......whether it be guarding a house or animals.......technology is out there why rely on flesh and bone.

• Like 2