Yard Dog/guarding Property?

a bel mal there not as big as gsd , but very good guard dog but can be hyper , but gsd a easy dog to live with and great guard dog, they are on the big side but docile until they have to guard . the acd very good guard as well , like the gsd a one man dog so only take the family and that's about it :yes:

I often see Malinois recommended as yard dogs but I don't agree with it TBH, these are serious working dogs that go mental without a real job to do, pacing around in a yard all day just doesn't cut it for them IMO.

Collie or cattle dog would be a good fit, alert as anything, noisy and often quite likely to bite too. If he wants something that looks a bit more intimidating a EBT could do the job? Or what about a Kerry Blue? Knew a few nasty fecker Kerrys that were used as yard dogs back in the day...

My old mam has a wee SBT/JRT thing as a watchdog, he may be little but he's a great alarm dog and if he gets the chance he's not one for letting go once he's got a hold of a scumbag.

• Like 4

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an experience many years ago with some lowlife robbing stuff from back garden went looking for a good collie pup and came across a collie in pup [only used for cattle] farmer reassured me th

Aussie cattle dog,small good around the house,totaly loyal beyond normal and you won't sneek past one and their bite will leave it's mark believe me .

One of these

Posted Images

a bel mal there not as big as gsd , but very good guard dog but can be hyper , but gsd a easy dog to live with and great guard dog, they are on the big side but docile until they have to guard . the acd very good guard as well , like the gsd a one man dog so only take the family and that's about it :yes:

I often see Malinois recommended as yard dogs but I don't agree with it TBH, these are serious working dogs that go mental without a real job to do, pacing around in a yard all day just doesn't cut it for them IMO.

Collie or cattle dog would be a good fit, alert as anything, noisy and often quite likely to bite too. If he wants something that looks a bit more intimidating a EBT could do the job? Or what about a Kerry Blue? Knew a few nasty fecker Kerrys that were used as yard dogs back in the day...

My old mam has a wee SBT/JRT thing as a watchdog, he may be little but he's a great alarm dog and if he gets the chance he's not one for letting go once he's got a hold of a scumbag.

I was going to mention a Kerry Blue, they don't mess about. Or how about a standard Schnauzer about the same size as a kerry blue.

• Like 1

I was going to mention a Kerry Blue, they don't mess about. Or how about a standard Schnauzer about the same size as a kerry blue.

Knew a bloke with a Schnauzer x Lab, I'm good with nasty dogs but even I refused to go in his yard if that beast wasn't in his pen. Evil fecker it was :icon_eek:

• Like 1

The dobermans on the large side again,he has limited space.I found the pits/staffs etc were people friendly at best and he doesnt want bull terrier type.Now the kerry blues a one to think about for sure,the malanoi /dutch shepherd is a dog that wouldnt be suited for hanging around a yard,hed be a good man to walk the dogs and take grest care of it but I have a few mates that have them and their a liability I feel.Pure savages.The collie dogs are a consideration too.Hes built up his kennells and to be honest its an easy job to get in to his place if someone wanted to. Hes thinking of going to the rescue centres and picking up a yound dog and see if he can give it a good home and get a good guard thrown in.the only prolem is tey want home checks and they might not be impressed with a few working terriers looking out at them.

Collies will go mental sat about a fenced yard all day and all..

How far is his house from his kennels Liam? Couple of yappy russels who'll make a racket might be a better idea than a big eating and shitting machine.. :thumbs:

Collies will go mental sat about a fenced yard all day and all..

How far is his house from his kennels Liam? Couple of yappy russels who'll make a racket might be a better idea than a big eating and shitting machine.. :thumbs:

their very close to his house Mal,and he has a few terriers allready that would make a racket,its a bit of a biter he'd be looking for id say.i'll have a chat this evening with him and let him know what has been reccomended

Dont think ive ever seen a Staff that would bite a person normally they,ll bark until your on top of them then turn into a 6 week old puppy before your very eyes !......I reckon your best bets a Collie or maybe even an Airedale,seen a few of them with a little bit about them.

• Like 1

Never seen angry geese lol id get in a yard with em though just for a laugh. They dont even have teeth do they?

Staffs are useless guard dogs and wouldnt advice getting a pitbull. Will never look good if it goes to court and last thing the breed needs is more bad press.

• Like 2

airedale is a big dog too ,geese,yeah I can just see his face,''nah,you dont want a rottie,get some geese'' :laugh: straight to the lunatic hospital he'd drag me.As I said before,bull terriers of any kind are not under consideration.the collie is the top ranking dog at the minute it seems lol