Yard Dog/guarding Property?

was talking to a mate last night and he was interested in a dog for around the outside of his kennells,he says he hasnt the room for a big dog and asked what medium to small type dog would suit his needs ,but he'd like a dog that might be a bit intimidating,I said a presse type dog,but thinking I couldnt come up with a reliable medium sized dog that might pack a punch.He doesnt want a mental yoke,and he wont keep pits ,so just thought id throw it out there,what breed /type would have a history of producing consistent back yard dogs that would guard and be a deterrent.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an experience many years ago with some lowlife robbing stuff from back garden went looking for a good collie pup and came across a collie in pup [only used for cattle] farmer reassured me th

Aussie cattle dog,small good around the house,totaly loyal beyond normal and you won't sneek past one and their bite will leave it's mark believe me .

One of these

Posted Images

yeah, cattle dog would fit the bill, plenty of them wwhen i was out in oz and they certainly dont tolerate strangers.

but if yiou are looking for something cheap and easy to get hold of, a lot of farm collies can be very protective

• Like 5

Pit bulls deff a no no and any fighting breed as far as I know but then again I dont know much but aren't them breeds bred to be man friendly and dog aggressive but we have this cross American bullie x American bull and he's a good guard dog can spot a bad cnut a mile off

post-94083-0-14193700-1427066590_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

to be honest, nobody wants to be bit by any dog, full stop. as a deterrent, even a failry small dog can be effective if a) it is noisey and B) it seems to be committed and by that i mean, it gives the impression that it really does want to bite. i've seen terriers in cars that i really would think twice about opening the door!!

I agree with you heritage my jrt is the best guard dog iv ever had when he barks there's something up and I go and check but if it's in a yard or lockup it suits if the dog looks the part. But in saying that when we were kids the local coal yard had the meanest dogs around and we used to feed wild them and we could go were we wanted in that yard with dogs wagging their tails behind us. Maybe a gaggle of geese lol

a bel mal there not as big as gsd , but very good guard dog but can be hyper , but gsd a easy dog to live with and great guard dog, they are on the big side but docile until they have to guard . the acd very good guard as well , like the gsd a one man dog so only take the family and that's about it :yes:

• Like 1