Labrador Lurchers.

i think something along those lines would be ideal for a knockabout lurcher bird. Plenty of good healthy working labs around not sure if some folk would want their highly trained working lab crossed with some old greyhound though. Its not the done thing you know old boy.

yeh that be prob, I think not getting the working labs to use, and don't think I go just pure greyhound either because you get big dogs that prob go on the heavy side, deff go whippet x grey, to lighten the x in the lurcher . its a bloody shame really because deff make good x , but its the same if you wanted to use top bred coursing dog , to none coursing dog not many would do it , most breed put back to coursing blood , either , pit, collie,gsd, etc can only improve hybrid .

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting. Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of t

this bitch was half lab. good allround fur and feather day and night in her day  

Here you go w uyang, pointer x saluki bull grey

Posted Images

I have seen some stunning looking Labs picking up on various shoots racey strong looking types coats absolutly gleaming and loving their jobs ,put to grey/whippet as u say would most likely be ideal and def a good starting point anyway.

• Like 1

A mate of mine R.I.P. had 1 years ago as a pet for his girlfriend.We went diging 1 morn and were on foot and the labxghound followed us.We did not realize he was with us until we were well on our way so no going back with him.1st earth we tried terrier in and fox out as quick and Labx [big guy] nailed it and finished it very quickly.We were gobsmacked as we just took him to be a useless mongeral.We went on that day and after trying a few more earths without finding we decided we would let the terriers beat out a hill of furze and see would anything leave it.The terriers were soon hunting and a fox headed for open ground and my mate let big guy go.He had a bit of ground to make up but he got there and when we caught up with him he was standing over a very dead fox.That was the start of his hunting life and he accounted for a lot of fox and also some bigger game,dont know what % the x was but this dog could run and had loads of stamina.

• Like 5

Dodger was the half cross quick enough on the lamp for rabbits?

She did everything mate but the lab was a racy type n the greyhound a big strong bitch, when he later put a saluki lurcher over her that was a real good move aswell, both dogs well dead now as said strange you don't hear much about this cross anymore ; )

a good mate of mine had 2 labradorx greyhounds in the late sixties,these dogs were bred out of good old fashioned working labs to a retired track greyhound,they both stood about 23tts,and were long and lean,both werent much to look at, but boy could they hunt,they excelled at lamping and had plenty of staminia and good mouths,a bit slow for hares,but would carry and work with gun like good uns,also spot on at marking and ferreting,both dog and bitch were from same litter,never seen or ownedany of this cross since,and these dogs had to work to feed them selves and us ,times were hard andbelieve me those 2 dogs earned there keep,it would be intresting to see how you go on,atb

• Like 3

Interesting thread and unless I've missed it no one has had a bad word to say.

Not a cross I have ever considered, I've never seen one work. I did see what was apparently a deerhound x lab at the boarding kennels which just looked like a 27" lean lab. I remember thinking 'if that could run and wants it, you could go anywhere with it and no one would bat an eyelid'

• Like 2

I have posted on this type, thread before, back in my young days, around 1974, I had a 3/4 grey 1/4 lab, he stood 26" length to go with it, he could take all

edible, Hare, deer, rabbit, and feather, never done foxes I was never into them can not eat a mangy fox, fantastic retriever, I saw him come over 5 bar gates and 6ft, stone walls, with a 7lb Hare in his mouth, He could swim across the river, with a cord off the sheckle net, and he was the dog who took 7 Hares off the Scottish coursing land, in just over an hour, yes that is the truth, daylight, Fantastic temperament with my kids, good watch at night, I tried over a couple of bitches never got a pup as good as himself, He was a dog to be proud of, never had any feet problems, never was at a vet in his life, and never knew what electrolytes was either, ((( a good sugary cup of tea he loved or a spoonfull of Garlic-honey in his tea, of all the dogs I have owned and run, he has to be standing in the middle of the mantle piece, he was a proper working lurcher, with a heart as big as a lions, (((( but maybe it was all the work that I put in front of him, that made such a dog, I was 30years old then, he was a dog, of the very top shelf, the boys used to call him TURBO SAM, == Laddie,

• Like 11

A known coursing man who I no had 1 few year back called John davis this one could kill hares in day 2/3 3/3 i no the man who he got them off he had 2 and other 1 was supposed to be a handy dog aswell never seen them run but got told by a good friend mine wouldn't mind 1 of these x just lamping

This type sounds more than adequate for lamping and ferreting rabbits seems strange that there doesn't seem many people working them now. Not one bad post about the cross, it seems most were bred quite a few years ago and because not such a popular cross today they haven't been ruined just yet.