Whats conditioning or fitness got to do with breeding better stock? You breed off performers and breed lots off the very good ones, and if you have closed yards or only allow related stock to be bred, you cannot do that.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post on another forum on filial degeneration...   One of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A McClintock of Oklahoma. As far as I have been able to ascert

There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed

Posted Images

Were we not talking about the use of stud dogs. "Open to stud" versus "to approved related bitches only" Point being, if a dog was good enough to breed, then he should be at open stud not this closed shop bullshit.

The greyhound and the apbt were used as examples were performing stud dogs were used extensively, to improve the strain as a whole

Yes, there is a lot a waste in greyhounds, because they have to breed a lot of pups, due to the high rate of attrition in the sport. But if there no good the clock don't lie. And they don't get bred from.

I never mentioned anything about linebreeding...

If you breed to an unrelated stud, that is a performer, its called an outcross, you can always linebreed back to your stock then.

So would I but can you tell me where they are genuine lads are as hard to come by as a working terrier is

seem the genuine lads never come across each other because youve got to filter through all the shit and peddlers.

Ok .Cards on the table .Personally i will never use a dog of mine over anything i dont want back in the future .Simple.Call it selfish ,call it what you want but dont call it the ruination of anything .Why anyone with a good line bred dog would want to spread it about is beyond me unless money is involved and anyone with a good scatterbred is hoping wildly that he will produce and bring a name to the dog.Someone cited greyhounds as an example of why to put dogs at open stud and ill tell you why .The gene pool of dogs making the grade is much ,much smaller than you might imagine in their world .Its not only track times but stud dogs that produce good offspring time and time again .These dogs are there for everyone in the game to see and use at the right price but terriers are worked in the dark, excuse the pun, with only a few attending therfore results arnt broadcast far and wide .Those whinging about not having the use of a decent stud dog need to put theirselves out and befriend someone who does .Who knows maybe get a pup off them to continue the good work .

• Like 8

I've seen lads put a good dog over a bitch just because its the same way line bred and still get fcuk all. So for me as long as the bitch has done her time I would be ok with it,and even then that's no guarantee. If I could do a genuine lad that will do the right thing if the pups don't click a favour, by putting my dog over a bitch then I would . And I wouldn't charge a penny even if I didn't want a pup ! To many people worried about what others will say and their dogs reputation lol

• Like 1

Ok .Cards on the table .Personally i will never use a dog of mine over anything i dont want back in the future .Simple.Call it selfish ,call it what you want but dont call it the ruination of anything .Why anyone with a good line bred dog would want to spread it about is beyond me unless money is involved and anyone with a good scatterbred is hoping wildly that he will produce and bring a name to the dog.Someone cited greyhounds as an example of why to put dogs at open stud and ill tell you why .The gene pool of dogs making the grade is much ,much smaller than you might imagine in their world .Its not only track times but stud dogs that produce good offspring time and time again .These dogs are there for everyone in the game to see and use at the right price but terriers are worked in the dark, excuse the pun, with only a few attending therfore results arnt broadcast far and wide .Those whinging about not having the use of a decent stud dog need to put theirselves out and befriend someone who does .Who knows maybe get a pup off them to continue the good work .

Good Post ...Yes this whole use a dog to improve the bitches pups is bollocks, if the bitch isn't as good as the dog why breed from her !!

• Like 3

if you've witnessed a top class bitch graft over several seasons that's faultless at her work and has all the attributes you desire in an earthdog,and its unrelated to what your kenneling,would you refuse a good honest lad the use of a stud?

ps. im not talking about pimping the dog out to all and sundry

Edited by smasher

If the bitch was that good then I'd suggest him looking for a quality dog from similar lines. If it was a mate & he couldn't find one then yes I'd let him

Just to add....I've always kept culls so I'd never have this problem

Edited by CorkyJohn
  • Like 2

Good Post ...Yes this whole use a dog to improve the bitches pups is bollocks, if the bitch isn't as good as the dog why breed from her !!

. What a silly post Glynn. Complete and utter bollox!
  • Like 1

. What a silly post Glynn. Complete and utter bollox!

so you would mate a good dog on to a poor bitch to improve your terriers ?

And were do lines start from. Lines havent always been there and will have started from scatterbreds. It is selfish of a terrierman to deny a good bitch a line, and that man shouldnt deserve that stud. My opinion.

a good friend of mine who has worked a bred terriers for 30years who has never charged for a mating or a pup or made any money from dogs was pissed off when a so called friend that picked up a 14month old unentered dog of him. On the way home this young dog mated a related bitch and was told if any pups came they were to be culled!! 3 years later my mate is still hearing where these pups are. There was 10 pups and they were all choc in colour some are in Finland, some are in wales and some are in kent. Been told of the sums of money that changed hands to which has really stuck the knife in. The so called friend was told to never darken his door again, they met 20 years ago while my mate was judging a show in Belgium. This is why he has never given open studs to anyone except v.close friends with same bred dogs. Who can you trust?