Back in them days I bet more dogs were closer related than people thought.

Without the internet and phones etc people could only use dogs they would of known about not what they've read about.

Most would of used local dogs and after a few years of using each other's dogs the breeding would of got tighter.

• Like 3

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post on another forum on filial degeneration...   One of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A McClintock of Oklahoma. As far as I have been able to ascert

There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed

Posted Images

Interesting topic, good reading and good honest posts on the subject.

Whilst I have seen and dug to some good Smithy offspring, most of those were off bitches of 'similar' lineage and though IMO, looking back, putting Smithy to open stud probably helped some folk with a great starting baseline or improved stock, it really was all about the coin...

If Smithy, or a dog of his type, was about now should he be put to open stud?

Not a fecking chance...! Look at that photo Glyn put up, look at the age of it. We live in a different world now. No Pre-Loved or Pets for Homes, Done Deal or all the others back then, no huge Yank market (though Ken did help to form it!) no half million sudo-hunters all with a 'well-ard' dog off this line, that line and the other fecking line and no internet forums either....!!

Nope, the worlds moved on and open stud... For whatever the fee, would do more harm than good....

with out a doubt different times and most of the bitches back then would of been from working kennels back then the blacks did shit at shows :)

• Like 1

Travel or lack of it also played a part as did the right to fully test a terrier .IMO a true stud dog worth its weight in gold is one that will throw time and time again to type bitches .Ive said it before but a dog to me is the backbone to any line and should be used until he is just reaching old age despite the old saying .i try a few dogs whilst he is alive just to see if they throw what i want and to provide another stud .Casualties do happen and you have to think long and hard about a replacement .I think nowadays people are too quick to use a dog just because it works even if its thrown shite ,thinking it must produce some time,but that just my opinion .

• Like 3

Sorted it Bryan thanks mate! King puck do you find that the bitches come better than the dogs in that line?

can't speak for line wedgey but in the last five or six years we have found that the biggest ratio of pups that turned out worker's have been bitches , so maybe your right :thumbs:
King puck are the lad that loaned a dog Up north about two year's ago

Sorted it Bryan thanks mate! King puck do you find that the bitches come better than the dogs in that line?

can't speak for line wedgey but in the last five or six years we have found that the biggest ratio of pups that turned out worker's have been bitches , so maybe your right :thumbs:
sent you a pm wedgey :thumbs:

Bang on foxdropper.

Why would anyone want to put there dog up at open stud when it should be getting put back over close relatives.

to help others in need of a good bitch needing a pup. A good stud with a good bitch can throw good pups, the more a good dog is bred off, the more the working genes will run in the breed, keeping it in tight circles is selfish and beyond me, if someone asked me for a line i wouldnt turn them down because it would ruin the dogs rep... Bollox
  • Like 3

Bang on foxdropper.

Why would anyone want to put there dog up at open stud when it should be getting put back over close relatives.

to help others in need of a good bitch needing a pup. A good stud with a good bitch can throw good pups, the more a good dog is bred off, the more the working genes will run in the breed, keeping it in tight circles is selfish and beyond me, if someone asked me for a line i wouldnt turn them down because it would ruin the dogs rep... Bollox

I have to disagree Rob,as if you get a service for your bitch that has done everything you have asked of her and more and the stud dog you choose has no links what so ever to said bitch and eventually has we will say 4 pups.Now the same stud dog may have built itself up a reputation as a good honest working dog and a producer but if none of the pups make the grade are you goin to say its the bitchs side of the mating that the problem lies,no the stud dog will be blamed and it dont take long for news to travell among terrier lads,Foxdropper is spot on,keep it tight,enough shite been bred out there already.

glad to hear they're doing well wedgey , me own done well this season looking forward to next season. I will get W to contact you if thats alright :thumbs:

Personly I don't think a stud should be open to every Tom,Dick and Harry,but if a genuine lad has a genuine bitch,i don't see the problem,we all had to start some where,if the pairing don't gel and the lad is genuine then he will put it down to experience and not shift blame on to the stud,

Edited by smasher