And I know wat ur sayin about use the parents but i dont see any problem with worker to worke r yes if i had the option of line breeding then i would but my dog is comin on 11 so don't think they are still around either (parents) ,

have you not thought of getting straws taken from the old dog
I haven't really , if I could use him i would but if I don't I don't theres not alot i can do about it id rather keep myself to my own things an not know every tom dick an harry to be honest , I was just commenting as an example with my situation but don't get me wrong my lads made the grade for me an is still working at the age he is ,

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post on another forum on filial degeneration...   One of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A McClintock of Oklahoma. As far as I have been able to ascert

There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed

Posted Images

Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows the REAL reasons a dog is put up at open stud and that's purely to benefit the owner of that dog.

If it's to help people out like you's are suggesting why charge people then, surely a free lining would be helping them out far more ???.

It's all bollocks and I wonder how many of these people you's are suggesting got helped out went on to create top class lines off that one lining ?.

Why have a good dog then ruin it's good name by putting it up for stud and lining shite with it only to create more shite and then it's all the dogs fault.

We've all seen the affects of it on here over recent years.

I think yourself and CorkyJohn are confusing open stud and stud fee. Open stud just means letting people breed off a dog. Price doesn't affect the outcome with the pups. Try to stop worrying about other peoples money and just think about terriers.

CorkyJohn have you heard of the Cork dogs The General and The Blindman? (dogs from the white Cork line) They were both available for anyone to use ( and free!)

Of course loads of shit was bred off them but they also produced the line thats still being bred today. The more those dogs were bred decades ago the more that's available for guys to breed off now. If the guys that originally had those dogs bred to one or 2 bitches there'd be nothing left of that line now. That's how lines die out.

• Like 1

Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows the REAL reasons a dog is put up at open stud and that's purely to benefit the owner of that dog.

If it's to help people out like you's are suggesting why charge people then, surely a free lining would be helping them out far more ???.

It's all bollocks and I wonder how many of these people you's are suggesting got helped out went on to create top class lines off that one lining ?.

Why have a good dog then ruin it's good name by putting it up for stud and lining shite with it only to create more shite and then it's all the dogs fault.

I think yourself and CorkyJohn are confusing open stud and stud fee. Open stud just means letting people breed off a dog. Price doesn't affect the outcome with the pups. Try to stop worrying about other peoples money and just think about terriers.

CorkyJohn have you heard of the Cork dogs The General and The Blindman? (dogs from the white Cork line) They were both available for anyone to use ( and free!)

Of course loads of shit was bred off them but they also produced the line thats still being bred today. The more those dogs were bred decades ago the more that's available for guys to breed off now. If the guys that originally had those dogs bred to one or 2 bitches there'd be nothing left of that line now. That's how lines die out.

available for ANYONE to use and FREE , couldn't be bad at that !

Not heard of them Bryan, again free use of stud is a grand gesture but all it does is encourage the peddlars IMO, free stud to the right bitches & owners sounds better

Breeding to approved bitches etc is bullshit..if your dog is good enough to stand at stud, then he should be used to raise the standards of the strain...as to encouraging peddlars giving out free services?? It should discourage peddlars as more litters around therefore less demand for pups...approved bitches were for studs that lads were afraid to stand over as they might throw shite and decrease stud values.

• Like 1

I understand that there is genuine lads all over trying to better what they have,just like myself! I would pay the right money to go to a top Dog but when someone's willing to hand you a free service it's then about trust not money,in my eyes PEDDLARS aren't welcome to that type of gift

Not heard of them Bryan, again free use of stud is a grand gesture but all it does is encourage the peddlars IMO, free stud to the right bitches & owners sounds better

Breeding to approved bitches etc is bullshit..if your dog is good enough to stand at stud, then he should be used to raise the standards of the strain...as to encouraging peddlars giving out free services?? It should discourage peddlars as more litters around therefore less demand for pups...approved bitches were for studs that lads were afraid to stand over as they might throw shite and decrease stud values.
I disagree if Nick Stevens for example put a stud dog on here available to all then his inbox would be full in an hour.

I doubt the hundreds of pups born as a result would go to genuine people, most would be advertised for sale on every site going.

It makes me laugh when I see litters that the advertiser claims to have bred to keep a pup back but has 4 or 5 spare that he wants to sell.

If there well bred why does he have to advertise them and if he only wanted to keep a pup back why not cull all the extras ?.

• Like 7

Wrong mate.Lines stay tight being kept tight .Never heard of a line dying out because it wasnt spread about .Think you wrote that wrong mate

My take on stud dogs is this .If a dog is good enough to warrant breeding from [and too many arnt ]then why would anyone feel the need to advertise that fact .The circles he moves within will contain enough bitches to sort him out for pups forever .If the dog is from a good line then no one and i mean no one is going to let him cover any bitch no matter its reputation unless its from related stock and then we are full circle back to mates known to the studs owner .IMO a stud from a good producing line will not improve a bitch from scatterbred stock and the only way to start a line is with line bred stock .Some will have done it reverse im sure but its hell of a gamble .Open stud means money to me,very transparent .

• Like 5

My take on stud dogs is this .If a dog is good enough to warrant breeding from [and too many arnt ]then why would anyone feel the need to advertise that fact .The circles he moves within will contain enough bitches to sort him out for pups forever .If the dog is from a good line then no one and i mean no one is going to let him cover any bitch no matter its reputation unless its from related stock and then we are full circle back to mates known to the studs owner .IMO a stud from a good producing line will not improve a bitch from scatterbred stock and the only way to start a line is with line bred stock .Some will have done it reverse im sure but its hell of a gamble .Open stud means money to me

,very transparent .

A line has to start somewhere, can't be all linebred in the beginning. If you only breed to related bitches, then you don't know if your dog is a good stud dog. If you put him over a iffy bitch and he produces some good ones which are his stamp, then he's a good stud and cull hard... Edited by VOON

spot on Bryan , our team currently possess three bitches from that line and one if not two will most definitely be mated in cork this summer free of charge :thumbs:
  • Like 1