• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post on another forum on filial degeneration...   One of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A McClintock of Oklahoma. As far as I have been able to ascert

There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed

Posted Images

Bang on foxdropper.

Why would anyone want to put there dog up at open stud when it should be getting put back over close relatives.

to help others in need of a good bitch needing a pup. A good stud with a good bitch can throw good pups, the more a good dog is bred off, the more the working genes will run in the breed, keeping it in tight circles is selfish and beyond me, if someone asked me for a line i wouldnt turn them down because it would ruin the dogs rep... Bollox

Bang on.

If you breed to a dog and the pups don't turn out as expected, it's the mating didn't gel/click, move on and try again. How did the americans improve the APBT? How do greyhounds, horses and pidgeons get faster over time? It aint by keeping closed yards.

• Like 1

Bang on foxdropper.

Why would anyone want to put there dog up at open stud when it should be getting put back over close relatives.

to help others in need of a good bitch needing a pup. A good stud with a good bitch can throw good pups, the more a good dog is bred off, the more the working genes will run in the breed, keeping it in tight circles is selfish and beyond me, if someone asked me for a line i wouldnt turn them down because it would ruin the dogs rep... Bollox
Bang on.

If you breed to a dog and the pups don't turn out as expected, it's the mating didn't gel/click, move on and try again. How did the americans improve the APBT? How do greyhounds, horses and pidgeons get faster over time? It aint by keeping closed yards.

You can't compare a working terrier to something bred to go faster.

If your theory works how come all the best digging terriers are line bred ?

• Like 1

And were do lines start from. Lines havent always been there and will have started from scatterbreds. It is selfish of a terrierman to deny a good bitch a line, and that man shouldnt deserve that stud. My opinion.

Bang on foxdropper.

Bang on.

Why can't you compare working terriers to greyhounds? Please explain? What theory? Only thing i said is you don't get better stock by keeping closed yards. Greyhound man uses a winning stud, pays his money, and tests them. If they don't turn out as expected, they try again....and they use studs that are winners and they don't whinge like fook about freebies and free pups...

• Like 1

What if that terrier man had a reputation for selling pups and he came looking a service of your dog would you give him a free service even if he was mate?

Nope...charge him the price of pup...and if he's a tightass charge him double...

Bang on foxdropper.

Bang on.

Why can't you compare working terriers to greyhounds? Please explain? What theory? Only thing i said is you don't get better stock by keeping closed yards. Greyhound man uses a winning stud, pays his money, and tests them. If they don't turn out as expected, they try again....and they use studs that are winners and they don't whinge like fook about freebies and free pups...
If you've bred a good terrier then you know what to breed it to next time, chance breeding might work on the odd occasion but you can easily waste years pissing about with unrelated stuff.

Digging terriers are nothing like racing greyhounds, no amount of condtioning and fitness will stop them from walking off.

• Like 2