Why would anyone with anything decent put it up for stud anywhere unless money is involved .If you have a decent producing dog you will know of loads of bitches ready to line and there is a limit to how many pups you can except back so it must mean money .

As longs its to the right bitch an doing the job I don't see the problem , take myself I keep myself to myself I only use my dogs to drop to so how is someone like me going to find a bitch to put my dog over , I have a bitch myself but she's way to young to even be considered an my old dog is runnin out of time I'd like to stud him but don't know of bitch for myself to get a pup out of so can't see the problem with people offering stud if its proven an of age as longs people don't just stud over anything then I think it's fine , just my say tho
There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.

If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going to get something similar if he's kept his breeding tight.

Everybody seems to want a pup off there dogs because they work well but breeding to unrelated bitches is like the lottery and there's enough shite being bred as it is.

If people did there homework and spent more time finding a well bred pup they would have a better chance of success than they would scatter breeding.

Just my opinion but there's an old saying I once heard "if you have a good dog don't breed of it use it's parents" it makes sense really.

Opinion taken but the guy I had him off hasn't got blacks anymore

Edited by huntmad.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post on another forum on filial degeneration...   One of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A McClintock of Oklahoma. As far as I have been able to ascert

There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed

Posted Images

Why would anyone with anything decent put it up for stud anywhere unless money is involved .If you have a decent producing dog you will know of loads of bitches ready to line and there is a limit to how many pups you can except back so it must mean money .

As longs its to the right bitch an doing the job I don't see the problem , take myself I keep myself to myself I only use my dogs to drop to so how is someone like me going to find a bitch to put my dog over , I have a bitch myself but she's way to young to even be considered an my old dog is runnin out of time I'd like to stud him but don't know of bitch for myself to get a pup out of so can't see the problem with people offering stud if its proven an of age as longs people don't just stud over anything then I think it's fine , just my say tho
There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.

If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going to get something similar if he's kept his breeding tight.

Everybody seems to want a pup off there dogs because they work well but breeding to unrelated bitches is like the lottery and there's enough shite being bred as it is.

If people did there homework and spent more time finding a well bred pup they would have a better chance of success than they would scatter breeding.

Just my opinion but there's an old saying I once heard "if you have a good dog don't breed of it use it's parents" it makes sense really.

Opinion taken but the guy I had him off hasn't got blacks anymore
He might know who keeps those lines though

Was Smithy not a dog who could throw good offspring to allsorts of bitches? How many dogs do you hear of that does? Surely a rarity... I'd say the fact the lines are still going/producing has more to do with the lads who made the right choices breeding wise, who know their own stock. It can't be coincidence that some of the best workers/producers are from lines that have been bred tight.

• Like 1

Do guys on this thread think that Gould's Smithy being at open stud for money did a lot of damage to working terriers?

if I had a bitch that I wanted to get a litter from, and I had a chance of paying to get smithy over her I wouldn't hesitate. And don't let anybody kid ya different if smithy was still available Gouldy would have a que a mile long from working lads wanting to do the same thing lol.
  • Like 2

Do guys on this thread think that Gould's Smithy being at open stud for money did a lot of damage to working terriers?

I don't think there was anywhere near the amount of pedlars about then as there is now, but nowadays every f****r is breeding terriers with no thought what so ever about there working ability.

It's all about the pennies these days, and I think a lot of these pedlars get there inspiration from the likes of Gould and Nuttal etc as they must of earned a lot of money over the years from selling dogs.

I don't think there was anywhere near the amount of pedlars about then as there is now, but nowadays every f****r is breeding terriers with no thought what so ever about there working ability.

It's all about the pennies these days, and I think a lot of these pedlars get there inspiration from the likes of Gould and Nuttal etc as they must of earned a lot of money over the years from selling dogs.

Are Gould and Nuttal very wealthy men? I wouldn't think so.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

I don't know if Gould and Nuttall are very wealthy but if there not then there piss poor savers lol, if they can't live comfortably with the amount of dogs they've sold imagine if they never sold them, they'd be living on the streets.

And a man that puts his dog up for open stood is doing fuckall for the dog world because he'll be lining loads of shite bitches as long as the owner is willing to pay the stud fee.

So that means he's helping to breed loads of shite IMO ????.

There's only 2 reasons why anyone would put a dog up for open stud and they can be described in 2 words FAME & MONEY.

• Like 4

Nothing is going to stop shit being bred. Nothing!

If a terrier stud is put over springer spaniels it won't affect working terriers. It wouldn't effect a working yard. If patterdales are made a KC breed it won't affect working terriers. All those people breeding for shows or pets or money or fame? They branch away from digging men.

So how do people think Smithy being at open stud damaged working terriers????

Guys breeding only for work are a small group, probably a minority in the terrier world. It's when these guys can't get access to the best dogs or bitches that working terriers would have a problem.

• Like 5

Words of wisdom once again Bryan. Even shit doesn't get worse when put to a good dog. The hoarding of good blood does much more damage to working dogs than sharing it can ever do. Even if 3 of 4 men asking for a breeding aren't holding the dogs to high standard. That 1 in every 4 will keep a high standard. Hoarding and saying that making less of a good thing is better than making a lot of a good thing makes no sense to me. Good dogs should be bred and bred often. There shouldn't ever be a time that someone wishes they bred a good dog and didn't. That's just plain stupidity. Say you and your buddies like a dog and breed it to all of your bitches. You get good pups. A few lads ask for stud, you do it and the pups from the stud service don't work out. Are the pups from your own breedings of less value now? Hell no. They're exactly the same as they would have been. But you had the possibility of helping a guy out and maybe one of the pups from your dog being studded out becomes the best dog in the area... Are you gonna then gripe? The logic of hoarding making the working terrier better is pure bull shit. Keep your own dogs to as high a standard as possible. That's all you can control. But help out anybody who deserves to be helped. There is just no sense in not helping a guy out.

• Like 1

Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows the REAL reasons a dog is put up at open stud and that's purely to benefit the owner of that dog.

If it's to help people out like you's are suggesting why charge people then, surely a free lining would be helping them out far more ???.

It's all bollocks and I wonder how many of these people you's are suggesting got helped out went on to create top class lines off that one lining ?.

Why have a good dog then ruin it's good name by putting it up for stud and lining shite with it only to create more shite and then it's all the dogs fault.

We've all seen the affects of it on here over recent years.

• Like 1

And I know wat ur sayin about use the parents but i dont see any problem with worker to worke r yes if i had the option of line breeding then i would but my dog is comin on 11 so don't think they are still around either (parents) ,

have you not thought of getting straws taken from the old dog