Interesting gravestones

I'm sure I heard somewhere once (possibly QI?) that graves with angels etc which appear to be broken are intended to signify a person dying too young e.g. child graves etc.

On a slightly different note, I remember seeing one (I think it may have been in Ann's Hill Cemetery in Gosport where I grew up) of an angel with one hand up beckoning. All but one of the fingers had been snapped (or so I always presumed) so it looked as though the angel was giving the finger.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jay's Grave near Hound Tor Dartmoor. Said to be the Grave of Kitty Jay a poor girl who was made pregnant by the Farmer or Farmer Son and committed suicide. The Story and Songs ab

Reading an African hunting forum.  (At some point in the next 10 years I want to hunt Africa. Definitely wearing a pith helmet) Someone had visited nyeri cemetery and had posted some interes

Posted Images

Jay's Grave near Hound Tor Dartmoor.

Said to be the Grave of Kitty Jay a poor girl who was made pregnant by the Farmer or Farmer Son and committed suicide.

IMG_7566.jpeg.1a5dd1eec1db9e22df0e0634dfd115a2.jpeg

IMG_7567.jpeg.bddacbd824259111425c93dfcb4d45d7.jpeg

The Story and Songs about Kitty Jay.

WEARESOUTHDEVON.COM

Jay's Grave: legend, fact and fiction -

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, saluki bouy said:

Took a while to track it down seen it years ago catholic and Protestant man and wife in Holland I’m sures the is back story 

IMG_0620.jpeg

Pretty simple  .. he's in the protestant side of the graveyard she's in the catholic side .. he asked to be buried next to the wall and so did she then someone built the headstones .

Belfast city cemetery has an underground wall to separate the catholic side from the protestant side 

• 1 month later...

Went to Reykjavik years ago specifically to see this as he was a bit of an icon to me as a young man.....quite an eerie place,beautiful scenery and freezing cold of course but just seemed an air of sadness still years after his death.

IMG_5526.jpg

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3
On 20/01/2024 at 16:47, tatsblisters said:

What's the one called were Bobby Moore is buried mate. I can't for the life of me remember what they called it but i was impressed with how well it was kept but that was about 13 years ago. 

His ashes are in the Memorial Gardens at the City of London Crematorium mate.......nothing flash just a small modest little grave under a tree with his parents......was only over there a few weeks ago,bit of a sad case i know but i still put some flowers down every Feb 24th i just adored the man 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Went to Reykjavik years ago specifically to see this as he was a bit of an icon to me as a young man.....quite an eerie place,beautiful scenery and freezing cold of course but just seemed an air of sadness still years after Jon Palls death.

IMG_5526.jpg

Remember watching Jon pall sigmarson in wsm as a teenager.viking power..

Interesting few lines here about the strength of the Icelandic men..

Screenshot_20240319_173234_Chrome.jpg.6743b66e2c38aa3fb2e70c98dedf083e.jpg

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, king said:

Lancashire is very similar 

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, king said:

Iceland and the far north of Canada are the same lat,the Canadian winters are far harsher,but the average First Nations (Eskimo)male is small and certainly not heavily muscled so bigger stronger males able to survive in extreme environments and breeding a race of bigger and stronger humans doesn’t seen true?

13 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

His ashes are in the Memorial Gardens at the City of London Crematorium mate.......nothing flash just a small modest little grave under a tree with his parents......was only over there a few weeks ago,bit of a sad case i know but i still put some flowers down every Feb 24th i just adored the man 😢

I was impressed with how well kept the graveyard was kept and the Chapel. A graveyard near me has to be kept tidy by volunteers as the council would sooner spend money on cleaning up after the Roma Slovaks who have turned a nearby housing area into a rubbish torn shithole.