• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A true friend of the countryside and everything involved with it 

Well played old girl ,  The lads will never forget you.  it was an honour . 

Literally toilet humour again .    And why do you think it went like clock work and immaculately ? Cause the armed forces ran the gaff , not some panel of industry jostling for position. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Just found this ;

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Goes some way to answering my question ?

Cheers.

Cheers mate, I suppose we would have to guess that it is rooted in “a warrior at rest” type of deal ?

As in, when you are ready to take on the world your sword or rifle is out and ready and when you fight no more it too is in a position of rest ? 
That would be my best guess and it is only a guess.

• Like 1

One thing I personally thought was cool was that there was a diamond in the crown resting on the coffin that had belonged to our royal family for a thousand years longer than America has existed as a nation ! 
I just find stuff like that brilliant 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2

Anyone else amazed at the extent of coverage of all of this? I never realised how sentimental many still are in 2022 for the monarchy. 

Where does this 'legacy never to be repeated' stem from? Call me old fashioned, but I was under the impression that if a country becomes stronger overall and more prosperous then our leaders wether political or royal may then take some credit.

But if, as is the case, the country you reign over has become weaker economically, industrially and it's influence has diminished then that's not a legacy to be admired, that's a legacy that has failed.

Edited by Neobliviscaris1776

Here’s another little thing, the Grenadier Guards were formed to protect King Charles II and have now come full circle to do the same for Charles III…..means nothing really but I like little things like that. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WILF said:

One thing I personally thought was cool was that there was a diamond in the crown resting on the coffin that had belonged to our royal family for a thousand years longer than America has existed as a nation ! 

Edward the Confessors sapphire, set in the cross at the top of the crown.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Anyone else amazed at the extent of coverage of all of this? I never realised how sentimental many still are in 2022 for the monarchy. 

Yes, and I find it brilliant that it is still in us to be that way…..I don’t suppose many have thought too deeply about it but I’d like to think it’s an unspoken sense of what the monarchy represents rather than the person themselves.

You look at it and say “that’s my England” (or Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom) 

I have been absolutely chuffed to see that British people with a sense of shared identity have come out in their droves…..that’s should give everyone hope that we ain’t all dead and done as we may sometimes believe.

1 minute ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Where does this 'legacy never to be repeated' stem from? Call me old fashioned, but I was under the impression that if a country becomes stronger overall and more prosperous then our leaders wether political or royal may then take some credit.

But if, as is the case, the country you reign over has become weaker economically, industrially and it's influence has diminished then that's not a legacy to be admired, that's a legacy that has failed.

I have said before, I’m not sure what a monarch can do in a constitutional monarchy where the people making the decisions are elected by the people themselves, but someone should have at least said something.

However, maybe seeing these crowds people will reflect on what we have lost, how we are diminished and the intrinsic good in being a nation of people who share bonds of history and blood…..hopefully they see the value in that going forward and make better electoral choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Yes, and I find it brilliant that it is still in us to be that way…..I don’t suppose many have thought too deeply about it but I’d like to think it’s an unspoken sense of what the monarchy represents rather than the person themselves.

You look at it and say “that’s my England” (or Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom) 

I have been absolutely chuffed to see that British people with a sense of shared identity have come out in their droves…..that’s should give everyone hope that we ain’t all dead and done as we may sometimes believe.

I have said before, I’m not sure what a monarch can do in a constitutional monarchy where the people making the decisions are elected by the people themselves, but someone should have at least said something.

However, maybe seeing these crowds people will reflect on what we have lost, how we are diminished and the intrinsic good in being a nation of people who share bonds of history and blood…..hopefully they see the value in that going forward and make better electoral choices.

The UK may be going through a bad patch just now, but it's in a far stronger place in every respect than it was in 1952, the year I was born.

Cheets.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, WILF said:

Must admit stuff like that is fascinating,whenever i hear things like that i think i should do more research in it all.....my mrs keeps asking me stuff,yesterday it was " what do the pearls on the crown signify ".....and all i keep coming out with is " how the f**k should i know " ?......to which i get the inevitable " well you book yourself a proud Englishman " ?

I think theres probably " reason " for near everything we see at these type of ceremonies i agree it would be great to have some knowledgeable soldier type who's on the ball with that sort of thing to hear it from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

Must admit stuff like that is fascinating,whenever i hear things like that i think i should do more research in it all.....my mrs keeps asking me stuff,yesterday it was " what do the pearls on the crown signify ".....and all i keep coming out with is " how the f**k should i know " ?......to which i get the inevitable " well you book yourself a proud Englishman " ?

I think theres probably " reason " for near everything we see at these type of ceremonies i agree it would be great to have some knowledgeable soldier type who's on the ball with that sort of thing to hear it from.

The pearls were Mary, Queen of Scots, ear rings ?

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

It said yesterday that those ear rings had belonged to Mary Queen of Scots…..that’s belting stuff like that imho mate ?

Now you can go back to the old woman and act all clever ! ? 

2 hours ago, WILF said:

If we are going on the “must have known” by association principal you can add every catholic who filed into every church in the world every Sunday to that list….which pretty much makes the whole of the Republic of Ireland guilty of protecting sexual predators !

A ludicrous statement ?……yes, of course it is.

The reason these people get away with such stuff is purely because people don’t know or the situation means people wouldn’t dream of it.

I've not read the whole thread but if we are talking about saville I think he's a totally unique case. While I'd love to find guilt by association for a labour MP, and sandy would love the same for a Tory and an anti royalist would do the same....to do that misses the whole issue with saville. Saville didn't groom individuals, he groomed an entire nation. He repeatedly told everyone he was a nonce and predator. In his autobiography he gave numerous examples of his crimes with young underage girls.....yet as a nation nobody blinked when the next day we let kids sit on his knee. 

We can talk shit and throw accusations at people we don't like all day....but we don't Investigate the truth, do justice to victims or stop it happening again by randomly accusing people.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

It said yesterday that those ear rings had belonged to Mary Queen of Scots…..that’s belting stuff like that imho mate ?

Now you can go back to the old woman and act all clever ! ? 

Nah too much times gone by she'll know i asked someone ?

• Haha 2