Using lurchers for other jobs?

All of what's been mentioned has been going on long, long before the ban.

Its only because of social media and camera phones that it's now highlited

The lurcher game has allways attracted more than it's fair share of idiots, but a lot, maybe most, of them aren't in it for the long haul.....they tend to move on to terriers, pigeons, game birds, cage birds, whatever, but rarely stick with anything for long.

Cheers.

• Like 11

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?    

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best b

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not. Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I don’t know why you all just don’t come out with it . 

just say the word . It ain’t hard and we all know exactly who you mean has spoiled it in your eyes ….???

Nah ! I'm not having that ! Tomo's one of the good guys ! ?? !

Cheers.

Be interesting to hear what most peoples image of a typical lurcher lad is …???

if you look at it in a detached view , your using a dogs base instinct to destroy wildlife . 

it ain’t a great sell looking at it , and the fact that dogs owner wears tracksuit or tweed and travels in an Astra estate or a land rover matters nought. 

“how was your day in the lakes Liam ? Did you summit blencathra ?” 

“It was blinding Jeff , the dogs kicked out a fox and pulled it apart and I kicked it into a ditch when it was dead .pass the anti pasta over “ 

• Haha 4
33 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Be interesting to hear what most peoples image of a typical lurcher lad is …???

if you look at it in a detached view , your using a dogs base instinct to destroy wildlife . 

it ain’t a great sell looking at it , and the fact that dogs owner wears tracksuit or tweed and travels in an Astra estate or a land rover matters nought. 

“how was your day in the lakes Liam ? Did you summit blencathra ?” 

“It was blinding Jeff , the dogs kicked out a fox and pulled it apart and I kicked it into a ditch when it was dead .pass the anti pasta over “ 

Its like any area of life in that it's how you carry yourself, it's not hard to show a bit respect for the land and the quarry you use for your sport even if you are out to stretch it. 

And as far as the folks you've been alluding to most of those fcukin cretins have respect for fcuk all, and a good majority of the hoors would have your dogs away as well as anything else of value. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Not really looking to get into an argument with you, partly because I agree with some of the things you say and partly because it’s too nice a day! 

There are two things which you say which are correct about driving the land - firstly if done well, and in lots of areas, it puts more game on front of the dog / dogs than walking will. This isn’t always true of all areas, some are more practical to walk and some you just don’t need to drive as there’s enough game. 

Secondly - the ban deffo had an effect, as you say, when you’re going to lose your dogs, your liberty, get a battering etc and the choice is being stood out in the middle of a huge arable plain, or being there in a motor which allows you to escape ...... it makes sense to be in a motor. Again I would say it depends on the area - lots of places as soon as they see a motor it’s crawling with folk, whereas you get pretty much ignored on foot.

However, you, and others, often seem to speak of the lads driving the land as if they are all super duper dog men, heros of the sport, testing their charges to the max and giving no fucks for the law that wants to stop them. 

Now I can’t speak for everywhere, but around here, for every one lad like that, there are 20 absolute cretins. The type who aren’t interesting really in running dogs, they are just out for a jolly, running crap dogs, causing maximum damage and mayhem, killing more gear with the motor than the dog, stealing stuff and dumping dogs. Most of the genuine dog lads round here (including those that drive the land) hate them. They are a fecking menace and once they’ve done their five mins in the sport, f****d it for everyone else and dumped their useless / injured / unwanted dog in the pub carpark, they are off to do the next thing. 

Iv seen many vehicles flying around fields around here and dogs and game all over the place , it’s not lurcher work it’s a joke , 

but your right the 5/10 minute guys do really f**k it for everyone , 10 years ago around here I could get in run what I want and no one would bat a eyelid , it’s a thermal job now get in and get out one or two runs on one spot then move on 

• Like 2

? Well,...there is lots that could be said,...and perhaps one day,.. out of the Blue,. certain things will be said...?

Personally,..at this moment in time, the sky is blue and life is good, so why rock the boat and start an argument...?

Facts are, whatever we think about 'this, that or who',.. our own lives as hunters , will never be the same, as they once were..

So, we either carry on regardless, and keep our own yards, clean and tidy,.. and our consciences clear, or, we pack it in...

That's about it really...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 12
27 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? Well,...there is lots that could be said,...and perhaps one day,.. out of the Blue,. certain things will be said...?

Personally,..at this moment in time, the sky is blue and life is good, so why rock the boat and start an argument...?

Facts are, whatever we think about 'this, that or who',.. our own lives as hunters , will never be the same, as it once was...

So, we either carry on regardless, and keep our own yards, clean and tidy,.. and our consciences clear, or, we pack it in...

Sunday 23rd Oct 05 240.jpg

Well said old phil the Day I pack it in is the I die 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Facts are, whatever we think about 'this, that or who',.. our own lives as hunters , will never be the same, as they once were..

_MG_2852.JPG

That’s a fine looking pair of ferreting dogs ……

• Like 1