Russia Ukraine WW3

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to my bunker, can someone pm me when it's safe to come out. 

In 2022, a crack long distance unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the general talk section of th

True story, I knew a lad lived in a flat who had a bedroom for his horticultural interests, I phoned him when he was at home and said "Mate, make sure your extraction is on point, the bizzies are flyi

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, kanny said:

When you think about these impressive drone shows they do now and what the future might hold  concerning weponised  drones it quite scary if your in that environment...swarms of killer drones will soon be a reality 

Two of the buzz words in weapons development currently are networking and AI.

We've seen the unprecedented proliferation of unmanned combat and recon drones in the last decade or so. There's trials going on recently with how to get these things 'smarter' and more coordinated, as you say swarming technologies.

Decent guided weapons already have some degree of decision making ability. Programmed to 'hunt' in a designated area for enemy targets with the ability to prioritise high value or avoid high risk. Applying that to drones and incorporating AI takes it to the next level. Having every asset talking to each other, coordinating and sharing intelligence in real time, next level again. Any man in the loop has to deal with less information as the individual systems deal with a defined and increased level of decision making for him. 

Part of the definition of 6th generation fighters is their ability to be unmanned or optionally manned and act as a central command node for cheaper unmanned drones, known as 'loyal wingmen'. Basically what I'm saying is the highest end air assets are having this ability designed into them right now. That'll rapidly proliferate to the low end drones once established.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
WWW.DEFENSENEWS.COM

Edge 22 will see a large, interactive drone swarm demonstrating a variety of behaviors, some of which...

The swarm is “the largest interactive swarm/pack that I’m aware of that’s ever occurred,” Rugen told Defense News.

The Army has been partnering with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency on the effort. The swarm will demonstrate some unclassified behaviors, including the ability to detect, identify, locate and report; geolocation; electronic warfare; collaborative operations and cooperative search using algorithms and patterns; and navigating in a GPS-denied environment. The Army will also have lethal effects in the swarm so a drone can neutralize a target.

The rest of the behaviors are classified, Rugen noted.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:
WWW.DEFENSENEWS.COM

Edge 22 will see a large, interactive drone swarm demonstrating a variety of behaviors, some of which...

So in layman's terms,the a.i will be supporting itself an directing less advanced drones?

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:
WWW.DEFENSENEWS.COM

Fascinating stuff BH ? mad to think that future warfare could be like a hi-tech version of robot wars ?

8 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

f**k me not exactly kings of current affairs are yous? 
excusing born 

drones are already winning wars 

For sure but we are not talking about the  sort of UAV  drone you normally associate with the military though , Obama kid killer types.

MQ-9_Reaper_UAV_(cropped).jpg

18 minutes ago, kanny said:

Fascinating stuff BH ? mad to think that future warfare could be like a hi-tech version of robot wars ?

I reckon the submarine domain is where it’ll get really interesting. Modern submarines are the most expensive and technologically complex assets in the battlespace. They kill defence budgets so most nations can never afford enough, if any. Couple that with the fact that they are incredibly useful strike weapons given the amount of open ocean, and the physical problems with submarine communication, cheaper unmanned submarines working as wingmen to high end manned subs would potentially be huge enablers.

From my view, when you consider signals outside of the acoustic spectrum, like EM, wake/turbulence trails, particulate trails, radionuclide trails etc etc, stuff subs are emitting one way or another but are so hard to make use of compared to acoustics. These could really be exploited in the submarine domain when subs hunt as packs. Very similar to hounds hunting.

Then you’ve got the risk factor of using such an expensive asset. With cheaper expendable unmanned subs in the pack, the manned SSN just sits back and sends its wingman on the risky mission. Maybe it’s into a littoral environment where a big boat is at serious risk etc.

And as I said the comms problem. Water attenuates EM waves like f**k. It’s partly why subs are so stealth, EM can’t see them through any amount of water, but also means commanders can’t communicate with their most important players! Obviously all comms are based on EM waves! A pack of drones could act as relays increasing distance over which comms are possible. Not huge gains to be made there but it opens up new tactics and thinking…

f**k I over shared…

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Francie said:

That post born?

They’re just experimenting with drones working together autonomously. Yeah the drones are making their own decisions, albeit in line with their programming.

At the moment drones in combat have to be told to go here and there and what not. What they’re experimenting with is removing the man who tells them that and programming them in such a way that they understand some basic level of mission strategy. If drone X gets killed and it’s role was really important then rather than a man having to decide to redirect another to that role the drones do it themselves. That sort of stuff.

• Like 1
  • IanB changed the title to Russia Ukraine WW3