Insect friendly plants.

Bit of a " Sheep 2 " really, I s'pose :D Hopefully, a little less off the cuff and hare brained though?

I've been pondering getting a Buddleia, for the bees and butters. Finally got round to checking it out, today? 'Invasive Species'. Not, apparently, the butterfly and bee saviour it's supposed. Chinese!!!  Fukk That right off out the window then!

Seems Clematis is great for both. Googled 'Shit for b's and b's'. Got a short list. Clematis looked alright.

Anyone into it? Any pointers, please? So many fukking sorts out there, I got bogged down before I even got started!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

garden starting to come along.  

Said I would put up some pictures of Globe Thistle when it flowered. Cheers Arry

Why not give up strimming a set area and plant it with a wildflower mix. Less work, longer term benefits for insects and looks good 

Posted Images

Clematis and buddleia have totaly different flowers. The latter has fronds of tiny flowers that are more attractive to bees and  butterflies. I would get something similar. 

WWW.ARBORETUM.IE

As pollinators, bees, butterflies and insects play an essential role in our gardens. They fertilise plants by transferring pollen from one flower...

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1

Heather's , nepeta , rudbeckia , salvias 

People struggle with clematis because you have to plant them deep you don't plant them as you would a normal plant .

• Like 1

i recon clematis is a bit of a waste of time....had one round the front door of the cottage....but it flowers for such a short time just a few week....the rest of the time its just a green weed .....

recon roses are best...you can just lkeep dead heading them and it flowers for ages 

16 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i recon clematis is a bit of a waste of time....had one round the front door of the cottage....but it flowers for such a short time just a few week....the rest of the time its just a green weed .....

recon roses are best...you can just lkeep dead heading them and it flowers for ages 

Old mans got a piernese rose (spelling) flowers for one week a year but when it does it’s lovely and well worth the wait 

wysteria is another lovely climber. 

:good: All good, and appreciated, feed back, lads. Don't think I'm not reading every bit. Just need to google every suggestion, then compare it to my situation. That and get on with my life.

I think Tomo's just pinned down exactly what I'd started to think last night, too. Very short season. There's things out there that'll remain a food source for longer.

And, I should emphasise That is my purpose here. Feeding the insects.

• walshie changed the title to Insect friendly plants.