Insect friendly plants.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

garden starting to come along.  

Said I would put up some pictures of Globe Thistle when it flowered. Cheers Arry

Why not give up strimming a set area and plant it with a wildflower mix. Less work, longer term benefits for insects and looks good 

Posted Images

They reckon nettles are good for butterfly's, which is good cos my gardens full of them ? been out there weeding for a few hours today, fingers are tingling like fook.

Cheers, D.

1 minute ago, dytkos said:

They reckon nettles are good for butterfly's, which is good cos my gardens full of them ? been out there weeding for a few hours today, fingers are tingling like fook.

Cheers, D.

I know the feeling mate...its a constant battle with them and bramble!! 

2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Clematis Montana type, early flowering, with small white and pink flowers. Used mostly as a cover plant.

Looks great in flower but once its covered what it needs to cover, it needs a good tidy up evey year.

I like clematis but you've got to choose the type that will flower when you want them too. And as Tomo said, many have very short flowering and can look piss poor after.

I think they look best mixed with other plants, say at the back of a border, on trellis up a fence. They can and do climb trees and can enhance the look and lastly used simply to cover things.

They like their roots damp in the summer and are best grown up a thin trellis, like willow. Whatever variety you choose, a simple google will tell you if it needs cutting back hard after summer or a lighter trim.

?

I haven't noticed it attracting bees even when a hive of wild ones accidentally got tipped into my garden waste wheelie bin and lived in there one summer. Hedge sparrows, robins and blackbirds like it though. And those strange hover fly things.

Lavender is great for bees, and also Honeysuckle and roses. Theres a Rambler called Kiftsgate and it will ramble up through trees and make the tree look like its got flowers on. They are good on fruit trees because they flower after the blossom has gone. Mock orange or Philadelphus is good and Buddleia but prune straight after flowering if its needed because next years flowers will grow on this years growth.

14 minutes ago, dytkos said:

They reckon nettles are good for butterfly's

That rings a bell. Can't remember which type it is though. I Think it's just the one particular type which likes nettles. (Like that one which lives ~ or the caterpillars do ~ on ragwort. One of the Burnett's?)

Anyway, yeah; I encourage bog standard ivy about the place. Feeds shit tons, that stuff does.

Just fancy doing my bit (More!) and putting out a bush or two that'll feed the fukkers. Preferably even after I'm gone.

2 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

That rings a bell. Can't remember which type it is though. I Think it's just the one particular type which likes nettles. (Like that one which lives ~ or the caterpillars do ~ on ragwort. One of the Burnett's?)

Anyway, yeah; I encourage bog standard ivy about the place. Feeds shit tons, that stuff does.

Just fancy doing my bit (More!) and putting out a bush or two that'll feed the fukkers. Preferably even after I'm gone.

Just been out to look and my garden is VERY green, not much flowering out there though but a lot of stuff growing, unfortunately cos neither of us are really into gardening and the fecker is over 100 foot long ?

Cheers, D.

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

I haven't noticed it attracting bees even when a hive of wild ones accidentally got tipped into my garden waste wheelie bin and lived in there one summer. Hedge sparrows, robins and blackbirds like it though. And those strange hover fly things.

No mate, bees don't really bother with it much, it's just a cover plant.

rambling roses and climbers. here is a list of david austin climbers and ramblers i planted last yr that are flying it.plant them beside large fruit trees and let them off or along your chicken or dog run.i would highly recommend david austin roses.in about 3 yrs i will get to really enjoy them when their fully grown..

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1