Insect friendly plants.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

garden starting to come along.  

Said I would put up some pictures of Globe Thistle when it flowered. Cheers Arry

Why not give up strimming a set area and plant it with a wildflower mix. Less work, longer term benefits for insects and looks good 

Posted Images

I have a 45 Degree bank at the front of my house that goes down to the road full of wild flowers Oxeye Daisy, Honesty,Vetch, Purple Toadflax, Teasels, Evening Primrose and lots of other stuff.

IMG_3437.JPG.1fb18acc2bad91e14ba2fc53e5d56614.JPG

But the highly scented Daphne Bush flowers first in the garden in early January for at least a couple of months, Honesty flower comes next with the Crocus then Snow Drops and Daffodils. To follow them is the Foxglove and after them all of wifeys flowers half I don't know. But there is one that was given to me by an organic farmer as we talked about attracting Bees its called Echinops or Globe Thistle which is about to flower soon. Its the one plant that is in the garden that draws the most Bees of all kinds.

Not my picture as mine are not out yet.

IMG_3427.JPG.6d2e4b33d24bab2ce3f081b03f130021.JPG

Mine is about a week away. If the thread is still going will try a get some photos with all the Bees on them.

IMG_3431.JPG.f8a2d978dfb95cbb1393e159ae4c5ff4.JPG

One of wifeys boards not really looking its best as been pissing down all day yesterday and all morning so far.

IMG_3432.JPG.ffeb8f116aa34b663f4a0c60908afd12.JPG

Cheers Arry.

Edited by Arry
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, Arry said:

I have a 45 Degree bank at the front of my house that goes down to the road full of wild flowers Oxeye Daisy, Honesty,Vetch, Purple Toadflax, Teasels, Evening Primrose and lots of other stuff.

But the highly scented Daphne Bush flowers first in the garden in early January for at least a couple of months, Honesty flower comes next with the Crocus then Snow Drops and Daffodils. To follow them is the Foxglove and after them all of wifeys flowers half I don't know. But there is one that was given to me by an organic farmer as we talked about attracting Bees its called Echinops or Globe Thistle which is about to flower soon. Its the one plant that is in the garden that draws the most Bees of all kinds.

Mine is about a week away. If the thread is still going will try a get some photos with all the Bees on them.

One of wifeys boards not really looking its best as been pissing down alway yesterday and all morning so far.

Cheers Arry.

Lovely! Nice one arry! 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Arry said:

One of wifeys boards not really looking its best as been pissing down alway yesterday and all morning so far.

Cheers Arry.

Lovely Arry ?

Yer, i have globe thistle in my garden, the bees love it. ?

These borders I look after are absolutely rammed with bee and insect friendly plants. Nepeta, lavender, borage, peonies, roses, etc etc. Loads of different perennials, in particular the Salvias seem to be like crack cocaine to all types of bee! 

IMG_20210628_151239.jpg

IMG_20210628_120324.jpg

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, RubyTex said:

These borders I look after are absolutely rammed with bee and insect friendly plants. Nepeta, lavender, borage, peonies, roses, etc etc. Loads of different perennials, in particular the Salvias seem to be like crack cocaine to all types of bee! 

IMG_20210628_151239.jpg

IMG_20210628_120324.jpg

Superb them RT, is it a stately home or viewing gardens?

After Ruby Tex's post its hardly worth putting my modest border up but i am happy with it this year and have tried to pack as much flowering plants as i can in there.

As has been said, both Verbina and Globe Thistle are huge bee attractors and so is the lambs ears, i don't know there propper name.

Some of these plants are older than me, and were in both my grandparents and parents houses before mine. The lilac, lambs ears & hosta's to name three...

IMG-20210628-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20210628-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20210628-WA0022.jpg

Well, I think I'm in love, lads! To be honest, as I'm not one to be arsed with 'gardening', I'd really just wanted a 'bush'. Something I could stick in some corner and let it all get on with itself. Insects 'n all.

Well, my relentless pursuit - going on behind the scenes, see? - had finally led me to Caryopteris clandonensis 'Dark Knight'. Check it out! It's a fukking beauty! :D

Just gotta find some now ?

19 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Well, I think I'm in love, lads! To be honest, as I'm not one to be arsed with 'gardening', I'd really just wanted a 'bush'. Something I could stick in some corner and let it all get on with itself. Insects 'n all.

Well, my relentless pursuit - going on behind the scenes, see? - had finally led me to Caryopteris clandonensis 'Dark Knight'. Check it out! It's a fukking beauty! :D

Just gotta find some now ?

Just order it off amazon