Insect friendly plants.

Just now, Ken's Deputy said:

:good: All good, and appreciated, feed back, lads. Don't think I'm not reading every bit. Just need to google every suggestion, then compare it to my situation. That and get on with my life.

I think Tomo's just pinned down exactly what I'd started to think last night, too. Very short season. There's things out there that'll remain a food source for longer.

And, I should emphasise That is my purpose here. Feeding the insects.

That’s what I love waiting all year for it to flower again always worth the wait Kenneth 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

garden starting to come along.  

Said I would put up some pictures of Globe Thistle when it flowered. Cheers Arry

Why not give up strimming a set area and plant it with a wildflower mix. Less work, longer term benefits for insects and looks good 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Mines doing okay in a pot

so far ! 

3043024C-B53E-474E-8B99-5B47B2E88CD6.jpeg

6E179E60-5C40-4C25-9029-4C30D6294D2F.jpeg

Clematis will do fine in a pot, what I mean by planting deep is you don't just replant it to the top of the soil in the pot it comes in , plant it so the compost in the new pot come up a good 3 to 4" up the stem , it encourages them to grow 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Lavender...

Bees love it... 

Needs a dry. drained soil, mate. I have none. And I personally Hate the fukking stuff anyway! :D

In honesty, NK? My head's up my arse, just now. I'm all over the place and trying to distract myself and use the CPP mind trick on myself. Trying to make daft little plans for a future is the thing.

But, yeah; I've long wanted to figure out the exact best tree(s) to plant, for the birds. And, as I strim the f**k out of everything in sight? I am realising the odd bush or two, specifically for the insects, might be another plan :)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Why not give up strimming a set area and plant it with a wildflower mix. Less work, longer term benefits for insects and looks good 

Occurred to me earlier today, mate! :D I have a little, fenced off patch. I looked out at it and thought; " Hmm. Micro Wild Meadow? "

Doesn't get a shit ton of sun, being on the north side of this place. But ... Like, I scanned over a Woodland version of some plant, last night? There's sure to be shit out there that can handle the dark side.

5 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:good: All good, and appreciated, feed back, lads. Don't think I'm not reading every bit. Just need to google every suggestion, then compare it to my situation. That and get on with my life.

5 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Jesus a reply no problem sir 

Now, you see? In my above statement, no where did I say: " Except that kunt 'Lurcherman' ".

This isn't the yid's place. Personally, I don't come here to count 'Likes'. Or exchange them for kind.

But, I'm actually socially polite enough that I'll most always acknowledge the efforts of The Massive.

• Haha 1

I sowed a wildflower mix in a little patch this year seems to be doing OK bar a few weeds although the poppies have struggled, seem to have a fungus causing a lot of the buds to drop off but still has lots of bees and insects around the patch.

20210627_145234.jpg

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Now, you see? In my above statement, no where did I say: " Except that kunt 'Lurcherman' ".

This isn't the yid's place. Personally, I don't come here to count 'Likes'. Or exchange them for kind.

But, I'm actually socially polite enough that I'll most always acknowledge the efforts of The Massive.

Deepest condolences been stuck in the house 10 days and now stuck in another 10 ignore my mere Inpoliteness 

• Like 2

I have zero knowledge of gardening but sure the neighbours said this triffid is a clematis. It was covered in pink flowers last week and looked quite nice. I suppose I should give it a trim, even though it grows on their side of the fence, will add to list of things to do.

20210627_161414.jpg

20210627_161313.jpg

4 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I have zero knowledge of gardening but sure the neighbours said this triffid is a clematis. It was covered in pink flowers last week and looked quite nice. I suppose I should give it a trim, even though it grows on their side of the fence, will add to list of things to do.

20210627_161414.jpg

20210627_161313.jpg

Clematis Montana type, early flowering, with small white and pink flowers. Used mostly as a cover plant.

Looks great in flower but once its covered what it needs to cover, it needs a good tidy up evey year.

I like clematis but you've got to choose the type that will flower when you want them too. And as Tomo said, many have very short flowering and can look piss poor after.

I think they look best mixed with other plants, say at the back of a border, on trellis up a fence. They can and do climb trees and can enhance the look and lastly used simply to cover things.

They like their roots damp in the summer and are best grown up a thin trellis, like willow. Whatever variety you choose, a simple google will tell you if it needs cutting back hard after summer or a lighter trim.

?

• walshie changed the title to Insect friendly plants.