So joined a UK carp group

5 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Why is this. please? Genuine question.

I don't eat fish any more. Never eaten a 'Freshwater Fish'.  I know people did, 'historically'. How about tench, or roach? What's the reasoning? ?

Carp and tench were kept in stock ponds as a source of food. Catholic monks farmed carp to eat on a Friday when meat couldn't be eaten. Vikings kept tench to eat whilst aboard their boats as tench are very hardy. They introduced them into some countries too including Sardinia. Some French anglers still eat roach and in the large lakes in northern Europe they fish for roach, bream and pike to sell in shops. 

It is only post WW2 that Brits stopped bringing home their catches to eat. All the old fishing books had sections on fish cookery and every pen knife had a disgorger and fish scaler tool.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Wolf dog reading that post

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I don't eat fish any more. Never eaten a 'Freshwater Fish'.  I know people did, 'historically'. How about tench, or roach? What's the reasoning? ?

I always here people say they won't eat them due to how they taste being that they eat things in the mud and all.....I guess the old adage of of certain people not knowing how to use seasoning might apply but who knows

6 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I always here people say they won't eat them due to how they taste being that they eat things in the mud and all.....I guess the old adage of of certain people not knowing how to use seasoning might apply but who knows

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Nicepix said:

The thing is carp fishing has attracted people who don't really know how to fish. They all set up the same way, all have their gear on display and use whatever bait is in fashion. Then it is just a case of waiting until they get lucky.  As someone has said; it is just camping with fishing rods. 

Fortunately for me there are lots of large carp in the rivers and huge lakes  near me that don't get any attention from the 5xB's s I call them  (boilies, bite alarm, bedchair & bivvie) brigade and that suits my style of fishing. Find the fish then come back another day and fish for them, four or five hours max. Most of them have never seen a bait and I rarely cast more than 7 metres.  The fish average between high teens and low thirties with some mid forties here and there.

20200707_141935.jpg.fa3b319c84191e58f8819d40ebc219c5.jpg

20200707_142015_resize_58.jpg.8808ad2c04f5ca7be8ed5af2f7640ce7.jpg

20210422_121152.jpg.1c13ee60f0c95284c7e7b7be3d73fcd8.jpg

20200821_150531.jpg.390a74abe3f13341b014af0ae6fe8031.jpg

20201215_150116_resize_23.jpg.dbbe4d538cb16015e9ee63d3cc0f2e41.jpg

See my deal is if you wanna basically just camp out by the water drink beer and nap till you hear an alarm go off hay that's great. I do plenty, but don't go out saying eveyone is wrong if you don't do it like that and it's the "proper way to catch a fish" actually had somone tell me it's the Gentleman's way to fish. Honestly I feel like 80% of these "experts" wouldn't know what to do if you gave them one rod and told them to walk the creek and catch a wild fish .

Beautiful pictures by the way. Would love be to have some nice water like that

16 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Not just carp fishing is it . Sea fishing And bushcraft Is same all about what expensive kit you can have or amount . 
but most hobbies if you think about it they try and get you to buy latest gadget or new improved version
 I stopped buying magazines when they went up to a fiver ?

Omg the friggen bushcrafters, I was 15 when I got into it kinda big and I learned there was a biiiiig difference between some pasty dude in his backyard preaching the good word of Rey Meres ( or how ever you say it) while wearing bear Grylls eveything  reviewing premade survival kits and eating canned food and the old hilljack who will get tired of dealing with and walk in the woods with a Swiss army knife ,tarp ,wool army blanket and 30' of rope for a week and be perfectly fine.?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Carp and tench were kept in stock ponds as a source of food. Catholic monks farmed carp to eat on a Friday when meat couldn't be eaten. Vikings kept tench to eat whilst aboard their boats as tench are very hardy. They introduced them into some countries too including Sardinia. Some French anglers still eat roach and in the large lakes in northern Europe they fish for roach, bream and pike to sell in shops. 

It is only post WW2 that Brits stopped bringing home their catches to eat. All the old fishing books had sections on fish cookery and every pen knife had a disgorger and fish scaler tool.

Many old farms and bigger/richer house have old ponds which are called "Stew Ponds" and these were for the friday fish feast that all good christians did, mirror carp were bred because they are easier to descale than the common as such and it was monks who did this also..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, fireman said:

Many old farms and bigger/richer house have old ponds which are called "Stew Ponds" and these were for the friday fish feast that all good christians did, mirror carp were bred because they are easier to descale than the common as such and it was monks who did this also..

Yes, many estate lakes as they are now called started off as fish farms to provide food. Also, if you look at ancient documents  virtually all mill pools, weirs and lakes had fishing rights that could be sold or taxed.

It is a mystery as to what happened to the monastery carp after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The earliest English fishing book which is probably a translation from a French book dated around 1400 mentions them, but later books that were printed around 200 years later and 50 years after the Dissolution claim that they were only recently introduced. One author, Leonard Mascall goes as far as to say that he was responsible for their introduction from the continent some time before 1590.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

See my deal is if you wanna basically just camp out by the water drink beer and nap till you hear an alarm go off hay that's great. I do plenty, but don't go out saying eveyone is wrong if you don't do it like that and it's the "proper way to catch a fish" actually had somone tell me it's the Gentleman's way to fish. Honestly I feel like 80% of these "experts" wouldn't know what to do if you gave them one rod and told them to walk the creek and catch a wild fish .

Beautiful pictures by the way. Would love be to have some nice water like that

No one is saying that they are doing it wrong. They just don't know how to do anything other than the way they do it. Any idiot can set up a modern carp rig. They just have to assemble the ready-made compoments. Eventually a carp  will stumble across their baits given that carp will be  smart enough to know the locations where they will regularly find food.

But take those anglers to a wild water and see how they get on. Most will set up as near to the car park as possible and fish the same way as before with no thought to how to adapt to suit the conditions. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Yes, many estate lakes as they are now called started off as fish farms to provide food. Also, if you look at ancient documents  virtually all mill pools, weirs and lakes had fishing rights that could be sold or taxed.

It is a mystery as to what happened to the monastery carp after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The earliest English fishing book which is probably a translation from a French book dated around 1400 mentions them, but later books that were printed around 200 years later and 50 years after the Dissolution claim that they were only recently introduced. One author, Leonard Mascall goes as far as to say that he was responsible for their introduction from the continent some time before 1590.

They probably got poached by the villagers ?

• Haha 1

Moral of the story is  fishing is many different things to many different people  I guess there's no right or wrongs 

Personally for me it's  about taking as little tackle as possible being mobile and getting away from every fecker else for a few hours...each to their own. 

20200726_132151_compress35.jpg

DSC_0231_zpssto9qmks_resized_compress62.jpg

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, kanny said:

Moral of the story is  fishing is many different things to many different people  I guess there's no right or wrongs 

Personally for me it's  about taking as little tackle as possible being mobile and getting away from every fecker else for a few hours...each to their own. 

20200726_132151_compress35.jpg

DSC_0231_zpssto9qmks_resized_compress62.jpg

Exactly my prefered way too. ?

Google Earth and a notebook.

Feet on the ground with binos, polaroids, a plumbing rod / sonar, and the notebook.

Check the weather forecast.

THEN fish. 

Sometimes I'll walk more than 2 miles from the car and try three of four places.

• Like 2
On 13/06/2021 at 12:02, Nicepix said:

The thing is carp fishing has attracted people who don't really know how to fish. They all set up the same way, all have their gear on display and use whatever bait is in fashion. Then it is just a case of waiting until they get lucky.  As someone has said; it is just camping with fishing rods. 

Fortunately for me there are lots of large carp in the rivers and huge lakes  near me that don't get any attention from the 5xB's s I call them  (boilies, bite alarm, bedchair & bivvie) brigade and that suits my style of fishing. Find the fish then come back another day and fish for them, four or five hours max. Most of them have never seen a bait and I rarely cast more than 7 metres.  The fish average between high teens and low thirties with some mid forties here and there.

20200707_141935.jpg.fa3b319c84191e58f8819d40ebc219c5.jpg

20200707_142015_resize_58.jpg.8808ad2c04f5ca7be8ed5af2f7640ce7.jpg

20210422_121152.jpg.1c13ee60f0c95284c7e7b7be3d73fcd8.jpg

20200821_150531.jpg.390a74abe3f13341b014af0ae6fe8031.jpg

20201215_150116_resize_23.jpg.dbbe4d538cb16015e9ee63d3cc0f2e41.jpg

Nice one. That's exactly what carp should look like IMO. Not the bloated pets caught twice a week.. 

Im pals with a few of the well known namwe in the carp angling world,work with a couple and have been mates with one since school and have a few of the top waters in the country right on my doorstep.To say they dedicated their life to it would be an understatement.All decent enough lads away from fishing but if I met a couple of them around a fishing lake Id probably wanna punch them in the face and throw them in.